Getting the 240p test suite to run on a PSP

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
HDgaming42

Getting the 240p test suite to run on a PSP

Post by HDgaming42 »

Has anyone done this successfully? It seems like it would be the most portable/cheapest way to test CRTs.

According to PSPIdent I've got a PSP Slim v1.0 running CFW 6.61 pro-c2.

I'm trying to use the 240p test suite for Playstation. Doesn't look like Artemio ever created one, but it was ported by Filip Aláč?

I've tried converions with both PSX2PSP v1.4.2 and PopsConvPC v1.6 and neither boot. I'm unfamiliar with this software, so maybe it's something I'm doing wrong?

Has anyone done this conversion successfully? Thanks!
BONKERS

Re: Getting the 240p test suite to run on a PSP

Post by BONKERS »

I did this with the NES emulator for PS1, running on PoPs on a PSP GO out to component in interlaced mdoe.

The only problem is that your TV may treat the signal from the PSPGo different than other 240p consoles.
I adjusted my TV using it to get rid of some garbage lines in the 240p output of the PSPGo (Mostly that only showed with PS1 games and since this was still technically the PS1 emulator running it worked for this purpose) and tried to get geometry and whatnot better with it. But it turned out that it actually kind of made the geometry issues worse with other consoles like the SNES/Genesis in 240p.

So your results may vary. If you want to try it anyway, here's a compiled one that I still have that should work. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gNFOZc ... sp=sharing
I have never tried with the actually Playstation version though so YMMV

I bought a cheap chinese 240p test suite cart (Probably an old version) for the Genesis on Aliexpress instead a while ago that I haven't gotten around to checking yet. (I don't own EverDrives and such so this was the most cost effective way for me personally)
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Since the PSP video output for PS1 games can be set to 240p/480i or 480p, running a PS1 240p test suite would indeed be pretty useful. I assume that a 240p test suite for any other system running on an emulator running on a PSP will just be windowboxed within a 720x480 frame like normal PSP games.

Plus, a PSP runs PS1 games natively (at least partially) due to sharing some of the same chips, so having a consolized+softmodded PSP with HDMI output would also have the same benefits of a PS1 with ODE+HDMI.
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

Running the 240p Test Suite NES version via the NES emulator for the PS1 running on the PSP does correctly output at 240p via component out and with non square pixels for 256x pixel content just like a real PS1.

Also: I did forget to mention the 240p output of the PSP is softer than than a real Playstation so you may need to temporarily increase the sharpness of your display. On my display it only takes a few notches to get close when I A/B tested it compared to a real PS1.
DarkAries

Post by DarkAries »

The psp outputs 720x480 with an hsize of 858. Same if you play a psone game, just 720x240. Hsize is still the same. Use a game with some checkerboard patterns like Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo to dial in phase and away you go.
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

Thanks everyone--and thanks for the upload! The NES emulator works well--fullscreen at 240p. The SMPTE bars look...innaccurate (limitation of the NES palette?) and the green hills scroll test sends the monitor into a fit.

I tried emulators for the SNES and Genesis, but they refused to boot via TV OUT unless I switched over to progressive scan--which my monitor doesn't support.

Is this a limitation of the PSP2000, or just the way the emulators have been written?

Can anyone with a PSP3000 see if they can run the 240p test suite interlaced via TV OUT?
Triple Lei

Post by Triple Lei »

HDgaming42 wrote: I tried emulators for the SNES and Genesis, but they refused to boot via TV OUT unless I switched over to progressive scan--which my monitor doesn't support.

Is this a limitation of the PSP2000, or just the way the emulators have been written?
Limitation. I remember getting a PSP-3000 specifically so I could record my "WipEout Pulse - DLC Showcase" video in stunning windowboxed 480i via s-video. And I'm pretty sure that's what I'll get right now if I hook up my PSP-3000 with any kind of connection for anything that's not a UMD movie, a PS1 game, or the XMB itself.

I guess I'll pull out my 3000 to be sure, though...
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

HDgaming42 wrote:Thanks everyone--and thanks for the upload! The NES emulator works well--fullscreen at 240p. The SMPTE bars look...innaccurate (limitation of the NES palette?) and the green hills scroll test sends the monitor into a fit.

I tried emulators for the SNES and Genesis, but they refused to boot via TV OUT unless I switched over to progressive scan--which my monitor doesn't support.

Can anyone with a PSP3000 see if they can run the 240p test suite interlaced via TV OUT?
I don't think anyone was able to write any emulator that could use 240p output. 480p only (or even 480i?) AFIK.

The NES thing only works because it's a NES emulator running on the internal PS1 emulator. Which does support 240p.
Colback

Post by Colback »

Really cool thread, thank’s a lot ! Tried the same thing with Picodrive something like 2 weeks ago to end up with a 480i signal :wink:
HDgaming42

Post by HDgaming42 »

So I managed to hunt down a reasonably priced PSP3000. I can get it to output 480i now (TV Out) with emulators...but they're not full-screen.

Sigh.

I really wish I knew why PopsConverter doesn't work for that .bin. Just sits in black--no error message to work with.

Edit: I don't think it's me. It seems there are a number of scenarios where this port will just result in a black screen. :(

https://github.com/filipalac/240pTestSuite-PS1/issues/4

Edit 2: It seems TV Out full screen for Homebrew was acheived, but I can't see where it was ever put to use...

https://web.archive.org/web/20071116110 ... php?t=9160
pcb_revival

Post by pcb_revival »

wololo.net or gbatemp forums might have users more suited to the task with time on their hands right now.