HDMI to HDMI upscaler

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Beubeu

HDMI to HDMI upscaler

Post by Beubeu »

Hi,

Does anyone has any knowledge about a possible HDMI to HDMI upscaler? The idea would be to input let's say a 480p HDMI feed (from a GCVideo for example) and to output it to 1080p with integer scaling (so actually 960p with black borders), without any lag added?

The main goal being to bypass the TV scaling that produces a blurry image.

Regards,
maxtherabbit

Re: HDMI to HDMI upscaler

Post by maxtherabbit »

Beubeu wrote:Hi,

Does anyone has any knowledge about a possible HDMI to HDMI upscaler? The idea would be to input let's say a 480p HDMI feed (from a GCVideo for example) and to output it to 1080p with integer scaling (so actually 960p with black borders), without any lag added?

The main goal being to bypass the TV scaling that produces a blurry image.

Regards,
Extron DSC 301 HD or Extron DSC HD-HD

1 Frame of lag

there is no existing device that will do it lag free AFAIK, the OSSC Pro should whenever it comes out
bahamutfan64

Post by bahamutfan64 »

As maxtherabbit suggested, I use the Wiidual —> OSSC (480p line doubled to 960p) —> DSC 301 HD (to center the image into a 1080p frame).

It works very well.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

bahamutfan64 wrote:As maxtherabbit suggested, I use the Wiidual —> OSSC (480p line doubled to 960p) —> DSC 301 HD (to center the image into a 1080p frame).

It works very well.
Yeah but it's not HDMI to HDMI upscaling, you'll finally be able to do that though when the OSSC Pro comes out.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Lawfer wrote:
bahamutfan64 wrote:As maxtherabbit suggested, I use the Wiidual —> OSSC (480p line doubled to 960p) —> DSC 301 HD (to center the image into a 1080p frame).

It works very well.
Yeah but it's not HDMI to HDMI upscaling, you'll finally be able to do that though when the OSSC Pro comes out.
How is it not HDMI-to-HDMI upscaling when the OSSC (assuming 1.6) outputs HDMI and goes into the HDMI input on the DSC 301 HD or DSC HD-HD?
bahamutfan64

Post by bahamutfan64 »

I mean I do use component cables from the Wii to the OSSC, so it’s as close to an “exclusive” HDMI solution as it’s possible right now.

But yeah, the OSSC Pro with its HDMI IN would be the solution you’re looking for.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

nmalinoski wrote:How is it not HDMI-to-HDMI upscaling when the OSSC (assuming 1.6) outputs HDMI and goes into the HDMI input on the DSC 301 HD or DSC HD-HD?
Because the OSSC does not accept HDMI as input, so that signal path involves converting from digital to analog and back to digital again. There's going to be some degredation there as compared to keeping the signal digital and scaling that.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Guspaz wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:How is it not HDMI-to-HDMI upscaling when the OSSC (assuming 1.6) outputs HDMI and goes into the HDMI input on the DSC 301 HD or DSC HD-HD?
Because the OSSC does not accept HDMI as input, so that signal path involves converting from digital to analog and back to digital again. There's going to be some degredation there as compared to keeping the signal digital and scaling that.
Sorry, I misread; I thought the argument was scoped to the Extron DSC products.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Will the Crestron HD Scaler process the HDMI in? Isn’t it ~1 frame of lag?
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

It works very well.
Is there a trick to getting this to work? I have my OSSC line2x in 480p directly into the DSC301HD in mostly "auto" mode but it doesn't look right. There is a black bar covering the top 1/3 of the screen, and the part that's visible is flickering badly.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

ldeveraux wrote:Is there a trick to getting this to work?

ldeveraux wrote:I have my OSSC line2x in 480p directly into the DSC301HD in mostly "auto" mode.
Dunno what that means.

ldeveraux wrote:There is a black bar covering the top 1/3 of the screen, and the part that's visible is flickering badly.
Wii games have like a dozen different resolutions, so they are are going to have some amount of underscan, that's where the Extron DSC 301 HD comes in, you need to change settings diepending on the games for it to have no underscan while keeping the aspect ratio.

Here are some examples of settings for the Extron DSC 301 HD:

The Last Story:

Image Position

H -0053 V -0054

Image Size

H 2035 V 1195

Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse

Image Position

H -0116 V -0117

Image Size

H 2160 V 1320

Arc Rise Fantasia:

Image Position

H -0044 V -0045

Image Size

H 2017 V 1177
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Lawfer wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:Is there a trick to getting this to work? I have my OSSC line2x in 480p directly into the DSC301HD in mostly "auto" mode.
Dunno what that means.
It means most of the setting in the menu of the DSC 301 are set to auto, rather than specifying resolutions, etc.
Lawfer wrote: Wii games have like a dozen different resolutions, so they are are going to have some amount of underscan, that's where the Extron DSC 301 HD comes in, you need to change settings diepending on the games for it to have no underscan while keeping the aspect ratio.

Here are some examples of settings for the Extron DSC 301 HD:
I don't know what to do with that. He said he had the OSSC > DSC301 > TV. I tried replicating and got the video output I described above. It wasn't even with the Wii, it was a SNES.
bahamutfan64

Post by bahamutfan64 »

ldeveraux wrote:

It works very well.
Is there a trick to getting this to work? I have my OSSC line2x in 480p directly into the DSC301HD in mostly "auto" mode but it doesn't look right. There is a black bar covering the top 1/3 of the screen, and the part that's visible is flickering badly.

These are the settings I use for every game, regardless of how much underscan or what wonky resolution is actually used, for practical purposes: https://imgur.com/a/wsGb3Ta
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I don't know what to do with that. He said he had the OSSC > DSC301 > TV. I tried replicating and got the video output I described above. It wasn't even with the Wii, it was a SNES.
The 301 isn't fully compatible with the SNES' sync jitter. Try a different multiplier. Either reduce the OSSC's output to 3x or increase to 5x and try again. You can feed full 5x (1200p) to the Extron and then crop/resize/zoom using the Extron's controls instead of using cropped 5x from the OSSC.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

bahamutfan64 wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:

It works very well.

These are the settings I use for every game, regardless of how much underscan or what wonky resolution is actually used, for practical purposes: https://imgur.com/a/wsGb3Ta
Thanks for the reference pics! What size TV are you outputting to? I only ask because this shrinks the picture to the center of my 50" screen to make it look like a 40" screen with huge black borders.

Certainly I don't understand the point of the DSC 301. Is it just screen manipulation or is there scaling involved?

Also crummy that it doesn't work with the SNES dejitter. I'm essentially looking for a permanent home for my DSC 301 and I thought this would fit the bill.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

If you want to upscale OSSC line doubled 480p (960p) to 1080p, you might also consider the DVDO Edge or Duo.

There are trade offs, but you shouldn't have huge sync jitter issues. You also will get sub-one frame lag. Not everyone cares about half a frame of latency. I do.
We apologise for the inconvenience
bahamutfan64

Post by bahamutfan64 »

I'm glad the pics were helpful! The DSC 301 HD is a scaler, but in this case I'm just using it to center the image, as otherwise the OSSC would blow it up to full screen.

One thing that I really like about the DCHDMI is that you can center the image within a 1080p frame, so it's with this in mind that I use the 301 on a 40" Samsung. It certainly shrinks the screen size, but it does make the Wii's video a bit more crisp as I've come to appreciate a more "pixelated" look.

480p is certainly not kind to 1080p panels, any way you dice it. Regarding input lag, personally I don't have any objections to the 301, but I certainly understand others may be more sensitive to it.
Beubeu

Post by Beubeu »

Thank you all for your answers! I'll look into all of that, though at first glance it seems kind of expensive :shock:
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

bahamutfan64 wrote:I'm glad the pics were helpful! The DSC 301 HD is a scaler, but in this case I'm just using it to center the image, as otherwise the OSSC would blow it up to full screen.

One thing that I really like about the DCHDMI is that you can center the image within a 1080p frame, so it's with this in mind that I use the 301 on a 40" Samsung. It certainly shrinks the screen size, but it does make the Wii's video a bit more crisp as I've come to appreciate a more "pixelated" look.

480p is certainly not kind to 1080p panels, any way you dice it. Regarding input lag, personally I don't have any objections to the 301, but I certainly understand others may be more sensitive to it.
So you prefer the OSSC @ 480p scaled by the DSC over the OSSC scaling to 1080p?
bahamutfan64

Post by bahamutfan64 »

I line-double 480p to 960p using the OSSC, and then I center that image into a 1080p frame using the DSC 301 HD.