Dreamcast HDRV & RGC YPbPr Component Video Cables

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Speedy

Dreamcast HDRV & RGC YPbPr Component Video Cables

Post by Speedy »

Does anyone know what the ETA is supposed to be on Dreamcast YPbPr cables from both HD Retrovision and Retro Gaming Cables?

Also, has anything been said about whether these cables will properly horizontally center Dreamcast’s 480p video? Dreamcast 480p output is typically shifted to the right with every RGB solution I've ever tried on my Sony monitors (Toro, Retro Access, & Sega). My thought is that YPbPr typically handles resolutions and sync in a more standard way than RGB so I’m hoping the horizontal centering issue is solved.

Maybe I have false hopes though that YPbPr Component Video will solve the Dreamcast's 480p issues, but I started down this line of thinking because my HD Fury X3 does a great job of converting HDMI to RGBHV or YPbPr, but...
  • When the HDF3 is converting to RGBHV the output inherits any Horizontal Shift issues from the source.
  • When the HDF3 is converting to YPbPr the output is always centered perfectly and fixes any Horizontal Shift issues of the source.
HD Fury documents this in their manual, but is this just an HD Fury specific thing?

I never hear of anyone complaining that YPbPr video isn’t perfectly centered and I think that HDRV has mentioned many times that YPbPr doesn't have the sync "issues" that can commonly plague RGB connections.

As an aside this is how I currently have my Dreamcast hooked up... I'm using thefoo.83's Dreamcast to VGA cable connected directly to a dedicated Extron RGB 192v so I can adjust H-SHIFT and compensate for the Dreamcast VGA's serration issues with sync. The solution actually works really well, but I'd just like to simplify and get back more space on my shelves by not needing to use an Extron RGB box.
Last edited by Speedy on Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kitty666cats

Re: Dreamcast HDRV & RGC YPbPr Component Video Cables

Post by kitty666cats »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Dreamcast ... 4210716932

thefoo.83 beat HDR to the punch quite a while (nearly half a year) ago, but they sell out almost instantly whenever he lists them! I really like the PS1/PS2 sync on luma cable I bought from him. I would love to hear a firsthand account of what they are like, if anyone here has managed to snag them. I wish 'foo got some more shine, he's got solid build quality and very quick international shipping :)
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

I had no idea that he made a Dreamcast YPbPr cable!
I'll email him directly and try to get one.
Thanks!
Still curious about my other questions though... questions now applicable to thefoo.83's YPbPr cable as well.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

HDRV uses mini coax for their cables, RGC and the foo do not

but it's hard to recommend vaporware
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

maxtherabbit wrote:but it's hard to recommend vaporware
HDRV made a blog post in January alluding to some HDMI development showing its face this year, wonder if it's that ancient 'HDMIzer'. I dug up an old forgotten proposed spec list yesterday, I wonder if this is still the general idea (I'd assume not):

"Inputs:

Component Video (YPbPr 240p/288p/480i/576i/480p/576p)
S-Video (Y/C)
Composite Video (CVBS)
USA Channel-3 & Japan Channel-1 RF (RCA)
Stereo Analog Audio (2x RCA)
External DC Power
Outputs:

240p/288p/480i/576i/480p/576p HDMI
15-pin D-sub - supporting 640x480 VGA & 480p/576p YPbPr
Stereo Analog Audio
Controls:

Scanline Switch - ON/OFF
Black Level Correct Switch - ON/OFF
Smoothing Filter (for dithered game graphics) - ON/OFF
Analog Output Select Switch - VGA/YPbPr"

Source: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/hd-retro ... i.1418474/

...2017. Considering the 'Tink has come along since then, I would guess this idea has morphed into something completely different.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

kitty666cats wrote:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Dreamcast ... 4210716932

thefoo.83 beat HDR to the punch quite a while (nearly half a year) ago, but they sell out almost instantly whenever he lists them! I really like the PS1/PS2 sync on luma cable I bought from him. I would love to hear a firsthand account of what they are like, if anyone here has managed to snag them. I wish 'foo got some more shine, he's got solid build quality and very quick international shipping :)

Why does his PS1/2 SCART cable have an additional RCA jack on the SCART end? What is that for?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

as the description says: Guncon support.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

I have no idea what Guncon is, but I figured as much.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Josh128 wrote:I have no idea what Guncon is, but I figured as much.
It's a Namco lightgun, a tad different design from others.

Fun fact: If you use a GunCon adapter plugged into your console, it becomes technically capable of RGBS via RCA!
thetallguy24

Post by thetallguy24 »

I know this is an old post but I wanted to revive it as I'm wanting a component DC cable too. I check with foo but he hasn't listed anything in a long time:

"unfortunatelly from second half of 2020 we are not makking it because of problem with main IC which we were using for cables. Two times I received fake chips and I do not have idea now what will be with this project. I do not believe that we will be able to find correct working ones. So we had two options find it or change whole diagram to new but we do not have time for it."

HDRV doesn't have any updates. RGC has been claiming they're coming out with one since 2019. Is there anybody else working on this?