NESRGB OSSC Flickering (even with dejitter firmware)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
MrMistermister

NESRGB OSSC Flickering (even with dejitter firmware)

Post by MrMistermister »

Hey everyone,

I'm having a strange issue with my NESRGB modded AV Famicom going through an OSSC. It very well could be chalked up to basic TV incompatibility with off-spec signals, but I'd still like some thoughts on what could be causing the issue.

For starters, this issue wasn't present at all with my previous TV. I can't remember what model number it was, but it was a 4K TCL Roku TV and it even handled SNES through the OSSC just fine. This isn't the case with my new TV. It's a Hisense H8F, and is picky even with my Wii which experiences occasional sync drops. SNES doesn't work at all, as expected due to sync jitter.

What's curious to me is that even with my NESRGB modded AV Famicom (with a 2.0 board and dejitter firmware), I experience really inconsistent sync drops. Inconsistent meaning, frequent sync dropouts only happen during the first few minutes of the console being on, happening every few seconds or so. After a few minutes of the console being on and "warmed up", they happen exponentially less frequently but still occasionally. Even turning off the console for a few minutes after being on for a while doesn't make the sync drops come back, which is why I use the term "warmed up". They seem to only happen if the console has been off for more than a few hours.

A few notes on my setup and my NESRGB installation:

- I'm using a RetroGamingCables N64 SCART cable with an internal sync stripper. I noticed the NESRGB 2.0 board doesn't have capacitors on the RGB signals like the older boards, and AFAIK the SCART cable doesn't have internal capacitors. Not sure if this could be part of the problem or not.
- I opted not to use the provided regulator when installing the NESRGB, instead using the internal one.
- I'm using a cheapo RetroBit Universal PSU that's actually designed for the Sega Genesis. Not sure if this could be related.
- I'm not actually sure if the board has the dejitter firmware on it, I'm just assuming since I bought it after the date that Tim Worthington released the 2.2 firmware.
- The OSSC doesn't seem to be the problem. The red sync loss indicator LED on the OSSC never turns on while the console is on, so I'm assuming that means it's not the OSSC's fault.
- I'm using FirebrandX's NESRGB OSSC profile. However, the problem still persists whether or not I use it.

Honestly, I'm fine if its just a TV incompatibility issue. I just wanted to know if there was anything I could do to make sure the NESRGB mod was outputting a stable sync signal and to make sure that it's definitely the TV's fault.
MrMistermister

Re: NESRGB OSSC Flickering (even with dejitter firmware)

Post by MrMistermister »

Okay, quite literally right after posting this, I checked Tim Worthington's NESRGB website and noticed the dejitter firmware had been disabled in the new 2.3 firmware just today. Could this be the problem then?
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Probably. Dejitter is practically mandatory for most TVs.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

The NESRGB firmware page says that 2.3 is experimental; you should be using 2.2.