PC Engine Mini

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
strygo

Re: PC Engine Mini

Post by strygo »

My 8bitdo controller arrived today. I opted for the TG16 style. Like others have mentioned, I'm a bit disappointed that its color scheme doesn't quite match the system (no orange on it).

Overall, it works great. It feels very close to the TG16 controller. The autofire sliders have been replaced with buttons - I don't mind this since I don't normally use the autofire, but I imagine some people may not like it. The addition of the menu button is nice for returning to the menu.

I hope that 8bitdo produces receivers for the original consoles. If they do, they will be instant purchases for me.
FunktionJCB

Post by FunktionJCB »

Sorry for bumping this thread, but I have a question.

I heard horror stories about powering this mini with various adapters/power supplies and frying USB ports.
So far, I used mine connected to my TV through a USB port.

But, I recently changed the position of the TV, and I can't reach its USB ports any longer, so I need to connect the console to something else.
I was wondering: would it be safe to connect my mini console (European version) to a USB port from my Xiaomi Mi Box S Android TV 4K HDR?

Why couldn't the damned console come with a proper power supply? :mrgreen:
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Check the power spec for the Mini in the manual, and check the USB spec from the Xiaomi Mi Mi.. whatever thing you've got. Run them only if they match.

This is why people were all frying their ports...
Atariboy

Post by Atariboy »

Has anyone had any luck getting the Mayflash F500 Elite to connect to this? Seems to work with every other Mini that I can think of with USB controller ports, with the possible exception of the Taito Egret Mini II.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Ah, looks like this mini has finally been hacked, will have to extract the Gradius/Salamander hacks and play them on my Everdrive/MiSter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o1x7VRB_gI
nam9

Post by nam9 »

So I have a fried Mini. Anyone offering a repair service?
I have picked up a set of replacement USB controller chips already...