PC Engine Mini

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
azmun

PC Engine Mini

Post by azmun »

The launch of this little device is coming in a few weeks with a world wide release date of March 19. Any thoughts? Kinda interesting how Amazon gets exclusive rights to sell/distribute. Wondering if any have experience with other "mini" consoles in the past. I generally would not care much for this since I can pretty much access most of the games listed.

However, I am potentially interested for the following reasons--I may finally get to play SuperGrafx game Ghouls 'n Ghosts and Snatcher in English. Also, I can look forward to M2's involvement with the conversions.
tomwhite2004

Re: PC Engine Mini

Post by tomwhite2004 »

Snatcher won't be in English, they have left it untranslated.
azmun

Post by azmun »

Oh, that's a surprise and shame. Thanks for the tidbit. This leads me to value only one game--SuperGrafx Ghouls 'n Ghosts. Don't think I can justify $100 plus shipping mainly for this. Selection is excellent and a great introduction to those who have yet to experience the console.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

I just want one of the controllers to use on MiSTer and RBPi, both of which will provide far better experiences than this.

I'm wondering if the multitap could be used as a USB hub.
Galgomite

Post by Galgomite »

Yeah, I preordered one thinking there was no way Konami would actually include Snatcher in Japanese. I had heard that the Japanese games would be untranslated but couldn’t believe it. I can only guess that Konami didn’t anticipate much interest in the console outside of Japan, and bothered with the Turbografx version only when they found a AAA distributor.
I have a USB-modded turbografx gamepad for MiSTer, it IS by far the best way to play a lot of those games. So far I haven’t found an option to map turbo buttons to other game pads.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

SGX Gn'G isn't worth it, IMO. It may have been closer to the arcade than the Genesis version, but still looked a lot different due to the changed resolution, etc. In this day and age where you can legally play the original CPS2 version (I assume that's why you haven't just emulated the SGX game long ago), I find it completely redundant except for completionist purposes.

I would assume the multitap can indeed be used as a hub - that's physically all it is.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I wouldn't be so excited about M2 doing this mini console. They did not do a very good job with the Mega Drive Mini. TERRIBLE scanline filter, and non-integer scaling for 256x224 games without horisontal interpolation which meant ugly shimmering on all those titles.

At least it would appear from this video that you can now choose square pixels to fix shimmering, but the aspect will be far too narrow, so I hope your TV can stretch the image appropriately...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6OsfZzd5-8

Apparently horisontal interpolation is too much for the "masters of emulation" as people like to call them :/

And the scanline filter looks just as bad as it was on the Mega Drive Mini. But thank god for that TurboExpress-filter... :O

M2's shmup releases are really close to perfect, and their Switch Mega Drive games are great too. But these mini consoles clearly aren't handled by their A team.
M2 do not deserve the praise they have gotten recently. They used to be great and their name always meant a guaranteed quality product, but not anymore.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The Genesis mini does get better when hacked (project lunar recently added a perfect pixel option), but that's cheating. I heard some of the issues with the mini were due to it being rushed and the limited hardware. Definitely not one of M2's better efforts.

Not sure if the TG-16 minis will have the same issues, but the menus are very similar to the SNES mini right down to the thumbnails (though they are above rather than below the bigger images).
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

I don't have much hope the issues from the MD Mini will be fixed. (Or issues from their Castlevania Collection. Which has lots of issues on PC that have never been fixed.).
But i'm mostly using it as an opportunity for a good USB controller replica and a legal way to purchase these games for non insane prices and then emulate them elsewhere if the device itself isn't adequate enough.

It definitely sucks they don't have translations for games like Snatcher. (Would it really have been much work to pay a few people to hack the existing Sega CD translation into it?) Or lacking the Dracula X Chronicles English version of Rondo of Blood. But overall for someone who has never owned a PCE and don't want to spend the amounts of money for a good setup and the games these days. It seems like a good value.
azmun

Post by azmun »

Thanks for the critical views. M2's recent work is newsflash and kinda sad to hear. But I guess it comes with the expanding territory? I'm generally not big on emulation. I acquired a Mega SG October last year just to finally dabble with new tech. It's not bad, but it doesn't nearly compare to my authentic setup (CRT, composite analog signal and original Genesis 3 hardware).

Also, I look at ports and conversions differently as emulation. They don't always strive to be like their original source material. So I like to experience the nuances that designers, developers and hardware limitations impose on the game. That said, I'm still curious and interested to play Super Grafx and Sega/Mega CD games (most likely via TerraOnion's MegaSD) faithfully one day.

Yes, I agree with Bonkers. This offering still a great deal considering you not only get excellent selection of PC Engine games, but fine Super/Arcade CDs and a SuperGrafx game to boot. It's just criminal Snatcher will not be translated!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

In Noodalls tests on Twitter, Contra 3 had less lag on SNES classic than M2's emulation in the Contra collection for PS4. Still under 4 frames, but it's just under 3 frames on SNES classic.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

bigbadboaz wrote:SGX Gn'G isn't worth it, IMO. It may have been closer to the arcade than the Genesis version, but still looked a lot different due to the changed resolution, etc. In this day and age where you can legally play the original CPS2 version (I assume that's why you haven't just emulated the SGX game long ago), I find it completely redundant except for completionist purposes.

I would assume the multitap can indeed be used as a hub - that's physically all it is.

GNG was CPS1. How is it you can legally play it without purchasing it on a collection disc (which usually sucks) of some sort? Did the patent expire or something?
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

CPS1, yeah. And I did mean the various collections that have come out. The level of lust that used to exist for SuperGrafx GnG fell off dramatically when the original Capcom Generations discs first hit.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

first impressions:

Hardware: neat und solid, but unfortunately way too large, just a few cm smaller than a real PCE both in width as in depth. Controller seems OK. D-Pad is way different, harder and louder than the originals.

Software: great menu and presentation. Fun to use.

Emulation: alright. Lag (or the lack of) feels good, but then again PCE was always great on Retropie setups as well (contrary to SNES and others).

Video options: horrible (as expected)! Two modes with vertical integer scaling. 4:3 is NOT optimized for wider resolution games like Ninja Spirits. "Narrow" (8:7?) mode is optimized for 256px wide games. CRT Filter is completely unusable (massive blur plus scanline overlay that doesn't care for exact pixel mapping). So basically the same as on the MD/GEN Mini, but without access to shimmer-free 4:3. The only acceptable mode has a rather narrow aspect ratio.
Last edited by Fudoh on Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Fudoh wrote:D-Pad is way different, harder and louder than the originals.
Thanks for posting this. There goes my idea of using the USB controller. Better stick to a good USB adapter for original controllers. Don't get why it's so hard to replicate the feel of the originals.

Fudoh wrote:but then again PCE was always great on Retropie setups as well (contrary to SNES and others).
Yep. PCE, especially PCE CD, is the one system that I find to be superior in virtually every way in emulation (set up correctly, of course) relative to original hardware. I had so many headaches with original hardware + CDs over the years, I'll never bother again.

Thankfully dshadoff and srg320 are doing a lot of great work to bring the MiSTer PCE core near full accuracy levels, which is also good for when CD support is eventually added.
strygo

Post by strygo »

My PC Engine Mini is slated to arrive this week. DHL seems to have been slowed down due to the current situation. Does anyone know if the early Amazon preorders for the TurboGrafx Mini are shipping now? According to Amazon JP, their stock of the TurboGrafx Mini is shipping in mid-April.

Speaking of the controllers, I'm hoping this controller ends up coming to market: https://www.retrorgb.com/8bitdo-p30-2-4 ... eaked.html I worry that the current stock shortages may cause 8bitdo to delay or pause production of it altogether. That would be a shame, because I'd love a wireless solution here.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Does anyone know if the early Amazon preorders for the TurboGrafx Mini are shipping now?
no, I had ordered all three versions from Amazon JP on day one and only the white one was shipped.
strygo

Post by strygo »

I'm curious whether they are handling stock differently at Amazon JP vs. Amazon US. Did anyone who preordered the US model from Amazon US prior to the recent announcement get theirs on release day?
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

When someone gets the real thing please make an extensive review about emulation quality. I really hope to be on par with the megadrive mini.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Fudoh, how small did you want the PCE to be? I knew it was a much larger scale than the other minis from previews, and assumed it was a practical decision as the original systems were already so dang small. Is there even enough weight to it as it is?

Anyone know a reasonable avenue to get a Core Grafx version exported from the EU?
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I'm actually a bit disappointed that it isn't the exact same size as the original.

Thank you for the first impressions Fudoh. It doesn't sound half bad. As for the video settings that was pretty much exactly what I expected, but I should be able to stretch the image of the integer-scaled mode to get a proper aspect on my TV, right?
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

strygo wrote:I'm curious whether they are handling stock differently at Amazon JP vs. Amazon US. Did anyone who preordered the US model from Amazon US prior to the recent announcement get theirs on release day?
They announced a bit ago that only the White ones would actually be shipping at launch and that the other versions as well as accessories were going to be delayed.
strygo

Post by strygo »

bigbadboaz wrote:Anyone know a reasonable avenue to get a Core Grafx version exported from the EU?
The EU version is available from Amazon JP. It looks like it will ship in mid-April, at roughly the same time Amazon JP ships the US version.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Thanks, good to know. I didn't think any variant was being sold out-of-region.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

but I should be able to stretch the image of the integer-scaled mode to get a proper aspect on my TV, right?
yes, of course. Unfortunately, the PCE <> TG16 toggle button is in the bottom right corner, so you're moving this one off screen once you manually stretch the image on your LG.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Haha okay good to know.

Any noticeable mismatch between video and sound?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Any noticeable mismatch between video and sound?
nothing I noticed and I ran every game for a few minutes yesterday (and gosh, they included some real crap....)
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Yeah, I’m not terribly familiar with the system but a good amount seems terrible :)
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

Food for thought, wouldn’t be easier to recreate the original hardware with an integrated scaler instead to use emulators on a much different hardware???
Being 30 years old technology shouldn’t be that hard
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Pretty sure it's more costly to use old, no-longer-common chips than these mobile chipsets that are currently everywhere and available dirt-cheap.