Retro-bit Super Famicom multi-game carts

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
jd213

Retro-bit Super Famicom multi-game carts

Post by jd213 »

Noticed that Retro-bit released a bunch of multi-game cartridges for Famicom and Super Famicom a couple years ago.

Picked up the "16-bit Collection Athena Vol.1" which has Dezaemon and Biometal (JP soundtrack), plus some mahjong games:
https://www.play-asia.com/16bit-collect ... /13/70bxyn
Was half expecting it to be an SNES cart, but it's shaped for a SFC and fits and plays fine (but it doesn't have the slots that will allow it to fit in an SNES). Not sure if it's the right voltage (can't open it as it's sealed with security bits), but I assume it's fine as I haven't heard any complaints about Retro-bit's US stuff. EDIT: may have spoken too soon, will see if I can open a cart when I find the time

There's also a Jaleco collection with Super EDF, plus Rushing Beat Ran (Brawl Brothers), Rushing Beat Shura (The Peace Keepers), Fire Fighting (The Ignition Factor), and Ikari no Yousai (Operation Logic Bomb):
https://www.play-asia.com/16bit-collect ... /13/70bxx9
No manuals or physical bonuses included with these, but they're pretty cheap compared with a lot of other official repros.
Retro-bit also released Super R-type/R-type III as well as Famicom stuff like Holy Diver in Japan, but those are a bit more expensive.
But at lease they have them for sale at general retail at places like Yodobashi Camera.
Last edited by jd213 on Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
FRO

Re: Retro-bit Super Famicom multi-game carts

Post by FRO »

I pre-ordered the Super R-Type/R-Type III special edition, and it's great. I might have to look into the Athena collection, though. I have the US release of Biometal, but the JPN soundtrack is apparently decent, so it would be fun to play and compare those. Also, having Daezemon would be nice.
Austin

Post by Austin »

FRO wrote:I pre-ordered the Super R-Type/R-Type III special edition, and it's great. I might have to look into the Athena collection, though. I have the US release of Biometal, but the JPN soundtrack is apparently decent, so it would be fun to play and compare those. Also, having Daezemon would be nice.
The Japanese soundtrack is much more fitting overall and gives the game a much stronger identity, I think you'll like it. I don't mind some of the tracks in the US version, but the Japanese soundtrack is definitely the more appropriate of the two.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Austin wrote:The Japanese soundtrack is much more fitting overall and gives the game a much stronger identity, I think you'll like it. I don't mind some of the tracks in the US version, but the Japanese soundtrack is definitely the more appropriate of the two.
Yeah, licensing the 2Unlimited music was definitely an inexplicable choice, in hindsight. Not sure who thought that was a good idea, honestly.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

There was some mention here about retro bit's earlier carts like the data east and us jaleco ones having the wrong voltage, but I head the r-type, holy diver, and the carts afterwards don't have the voltage issue.
Last edited by BrianC on Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

I honestly don't understand why people would patronize this type of product/company when something like the voltage issue is documented to have EVER happened.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

bigbadboaz wrote:I honestly don't understand why people would patronize this type of product/company when something like the voltage issue is documented to have EVER happened.
Even when they go through lengths to fix the issue with later products? Retro-bit posts here, BTW.

I'm under the impression that the JP retro-bit carts may have the wrong voltage since they were announced shortly after the US Data East and Jaleco multi-carts. I would love to be mistaken, though.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

It's not something that should happen even in a first run. It shows a lack of understanding of what they're manufacturing, and a disdain for their customer's property which could ultimately be damaged.

Even if/when fixes are made, where is the trust supposed to come from?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

dbelectronics site with information about cart voltage and mention of US retro-bit data east and jaleco carts. The voltage change for later carts was mentioned on twitter with pictures of the boards.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Found the security bit (triangle shaped, 2.3mm) to open the cart, and took some pics:
https://imgur.com/a/ti2ceFM (1st 3 pics with the board marked "Retro-bit" are from the Athena collection, the other board is from Columbus Circle's Shubibiman Zero repro -- not quite as much hot glue as their Famicom carts, but still not pretty...)

I'm a total layman when it comes to electrical engineering, so I'm hoping someone can tell from these pics if these are the correct voltage or not. At least the save battery is socketed and easily replaceable (provided you have the correct security bit...)