Sony BVM-D20F1E Component video problem on BKM-25p

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
BigBoss1964

Sony BVM-D20F1E Component video problem on BKM-25p

Post by BigBoss1964 »

All.
I got a BVM-D20F1E and tried to connect my OG Xbox and PS2 to the BKM-25P via component video cable. The PS2 is set to YPbPr and I suppose OG Xbox automatically detects component.
I have set the signal type to YPbPr and sync to INT.
The display just keeps scrolling from left to right quite fast and all distorted.

Any idea what could be the issue? I know for certain that BKM-25P (equivalent to BKM-24N for NTSC) supports YPbPr.

Thanks
svensonson

Re: Sony BVM-D20F1E Component video problem on BKM-25p

Post by svensonson »

I think only the bkm-21d has the proper decoder installed
BigBoss1964

Post by BigBoss1964 »

svensonson wrote:I think only the bkm-21d has the proper decoder installed
Thanks.
However I swear I have heard people say they can get component video at even 480p, 720p and 1080i from 24N (equivalent to 25P for PAL) on BVM D Series.

Here is a quote from anotehr thread
fernan1234 wrote:I use a D24 and have been able to run ED (480p) resolution over component and RGsB as well as various HD resolutions. However, I never even tried using the 42HD card because I hate even the thought of having that fan running all the time. Instead, I use either a 24N or a 21D/20D card, both of which definitely accept ED and HD resolutions over both RGsB and component.
Also in the manual the 25P is listed as supporting 2 x YPbPr.

However I won't dispute any real life experience. Are we sure that 24N/25P cannot properly decode YPbPr?
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

He has both cards installed. the 21D will share its "decoder" to all other boards then
BigBoss1964

Post by BigBoss1964 »

I have the 20D installed as well. And component works fine on 20D.
But I need it to work on 25P as well to connect multiple consoles to it. Although I do think that 25P already has a built in decoder for YPbPr - even if it were to use the one from 20D I am OK with it.
BigBoss1964

Post by BigBoss1964 »

Just to add that I am using BNC to RCA adapters as is the common practice for connecting component cables to BVM. I hope that doesn't make a difference.
And here is the link for BKM-25P. Sony says it supports YPbPr, Y/C, RGsB and CV.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/26326 ... =36#manual
svensonson

Post by svensonson »

here more:

https://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/4441 ... ml?page=44

maybe the 25p only work with pal signals. note sure to be honest.
BigBoss1964

Post by BigBoss1964 »

svensonson wrote:here more:

https://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/4441 ... ml?page=44

maybe the 25p only work with pal signals. note sure to be honest.
Thanks. Yes your link also confirms that 25P should support component and RGB, independently.
AFAIK PAL and NTSC standards only apply to Composite and Y/C video.
BigBoss1964

Post by BigBoss1964 »

Has anyone else been able to get proper Component video working via BKM-24N or BKM-25P module cards on BVM-20F1 or D20F1?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

I have. I'm the same guy you quoted in OP though so not expanding your sample size. Anyway, I recently got a 25P just to collect them all, and it took component (RGB, didn't test YPbPr) through its input connectors, though there was something wrong with that card as the picture appeared green and darkened except for the edges of the picture. Maybe it needed a recap. But the point is it was taking the signal.

These cards are probably very prone to failure. My pal who worked on my 24N told me how a lot of these get really messed up, sometimes beyond just a recap to get then running. The 25P could be the same. But if they are working then they definitely will act both as additional component inputs (RGB, YPbPr), there's no need for "decoding" for component signals from other expansion cards like the 21D. You already have a video card in your monitor on slot 6, where the sync input is. So if this is happening it would have to be due to failure on this particular card.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

fernan1234 wrote:the picture appeared green and darkened except for the edges of the picture
Could definitely be something wrong with it, but see if you can adjust the clamp (CLP). It's cleared up things like this for me on several monitors.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Dochartaigh wrote:Could definitely be something wrong with it, but see if you can adjust the clamp (CLP). It's cleared up things like this for me on several monitors.
Can't try this anymore as I ended up returning that card. All my other cards work well without clamp adjustments though, so I'd be weary of making such adjustments anyway, unless you can make CLP adjustments per card and not only globally for all.
BigBoss1964

Post by BigBoss1964 »

AH. I see.
So probably the 25P is faulty then. Any chance taking it out and reseating it would make it work properly again? Or trying inputs 4/5/6 or do they use the same caps/ICs as inputs 1/2/3?
Hmm. Not sure if its worth getting back to the seller as the 21D and the built in analogue card on slot 6 are working fine.

Havent tried RGB on 25P (though it will only accept RGsB as there is no ext sync on that card).

Thanks for the useful inputs.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

BigBoss1964 wrote:Havent tried RGB on 25P (though it will only accept RGsB as there is no ext sync on that card).
You can use RGBS on it and any other expansion card with analogue inputs. The ext sync connector on the video card is global, can be shared by any expansion card.
BigBoss1964

Post by BigBoss1964 »

fernan1234 wrote:
BigBoss1964 wrote:Havent tried RGB on 25P (though it will only accept RGsB as there is no ext sync on that card).
You can use RGBS on it and any other expansion card with analogue inputs. The ext sync connector on the video card is global, can be shared by any expansion card.
AAH. That is something I didn't know. Thanks
fernan1234 wrote: Anyway, I recently got a 25P just to collect them all, and it took component (RGB, didn't test YPbPr) through its input connectors, though there was something wrong with that card as the picture appeared green and darkened except for the edges of the picture. Maybe it needed a recap. But the point is it was taking the signal.
Same here. My display using YPbPr (OG Xbox and PS2) from 25P is also quite dark, greenish and also distorted and scrolling quickly from left to right.
BigBoss1964

Post by BigBoss1964 »

OK by now I am pretty sure my BKM-25P isn't working properly.
Dark side scrolling picture with BVM-D20F1E displaying NO SYNC message even though I have chosen the correct sync.

Does anyone have any link to BKM input card restoration/recapping?
Or any advise on what I can do?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

are you so keen on the included PAL decoder on the 25P board ? I would imagine that a working 20D or 21D board goes for less than what you'd be looking at for recapping the 25P board.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

BigBoss1964 wrote:Does anyone have any link to BKM input card restoration/recapping?
Or any advise on what I can do?
Talk with savon-pat through eBay.
BigBoss1964

Post by BigBoss1964 »

Fudoh wrote:are you so keen on the included PAL decoder on the 25P board ? I would imagine that a working 20D or 21D board goes for less than what you'd be looking at for recapping the 25P board.
Well Its there in the BVM and has six analogue inputs which means I can connect two RGB/component consoles to it. I couldnt care less about PAL composite/s-video functionality. I hate PAL.
Also better than 20D and 21D which has only three analog inputs. Who cares about the three SDI inputs on these cards.

Was just wondering if it was a simple recap with changing a few capacitors and someone had done it.
If its complicated and needs difficult to obtain IC's etc then maybe I will just give up.

Fudoh, do you have any idea if this could be just some setting on my BVM-D20F1 or the card is indeed faulty beyond a feasible repair?
In Maintenance you can select the card and setup certain values for it (4 pages actually) but I have no idea what these values are and I have already reset them to factory for that card.