*SOLVED* Component video to Extron HD15 pinout?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
emuola

*SOLVED* Component video to Extron HD15 pinout?

Post by emuola »

I have a Extron VSW2VGA switch with HD15 connectors, which according to the manual supports component video. I have a component video source (no chance for RGB, sorry), but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to wire the YPrPb signal to the HD15 connector of the Extron. Could some one more experienced shed some light on this, please :)
Last edited by emuola on Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
nmalinoski

Re: Component video to Extron HD15 pinout?

Post by nmalinoski »

Color match against RGB--Y=G, Pb=B, Pr=R.
emuola

Post by emuola »

nmalinoski wrote:Color match against RGB--Y=G, Pb=B, Pr=R.
Hmm. I think I already tried that. Have to check again. Thanks for the reply :)

Lähetetty minun SM-G960F laitteesta Tapatalkilla
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

emuola

Post by emuola »

BazookaBen wrote:This should get it done:

https://www.wish.com/product/5773601e5b ... gLVLfD_BwE
Actually something exactly like that does not work :/ Seems like there's a problem with sync. With the same component cable connected directly to the Sony the image is perfect. This leads me thinking there is something wrong with the Extron and pinout.

BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Is there a "sync on green" switch for the output?

I know my Extron 201rxi needs that on for component video, but I don't know how your device works.
emuola

Post by emuola »

BazookaBen wrote:Is there a "sync on green" switch for the output?

I know my Extron 201rxi needs that on for component video, but I don't know how your device works.
No, unfortunately there are no switches of any kind. According to the manual the Extron should just pass the component video through. Naturally this depends on the correct way of wiring apparently.

nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

What, exactly, is the problem you're experiencing? No video coming out the other end, even if you manually toggle the input selection? And you're using the output labeled Output, not VGA In 1 Loop?
emuola

Post by emuola »

nmalinoski wrote:What, exactly, is the problem you're experiencing? No video coming out the other end, even if you manually toggle the input selection? And you're using the output labeled Output, not VGA In 1 Loop?
There are colours on the screen, but apparently witbout anykind of sync as it just rolls horizontally and vertically. I'll take a video clip later today :) The Output connector is used, not the loop one.

matt

Post by matt »

How is your monitor connected? If you're using a VGA input on the monitor it won't work since the switcher just passes the signal through as-id (you need a DB15-component adapter on the output side also).

Never tried this model of switcher, but I do use a 6-input Extron that works fine with component. The pinout described above by nmalinoski is what's typically used.
emuola

Post by emuola »

matt wrote:How is your monitor connected? If you're using a VGA input on the monitor it won't work since the switcher just passes the signal through as-id (you need a DB15-component adapter on the output side also).

Never tried this model of switcher, but I do use a 6-input Extron that works fine with component. The pinout described above by nmalinoski is what's typically used.
Here are some pictures of the problem and cables used. NOTE! I know that the cable is not an official component cable, but as the connectors are still RCA, it does not matter. If I connect the source to the monitor directly with the cable that is now connected to the Extron, I have a perfect picture. So, the problem lies somewhere between the Extron and monitor.

Hmm. Now I actually started to wonder how the cable from the Extron to the Sony is wired. I haven't measured it with a multimeter yet.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... ewNE2_Ol8p

emuola

Post by emuola »

emuola wrote:
matt wrote:How is your monitor connected? If you're using a VGA input on the monitor it won't work since the switcher just passes the signal through as-id (you need a DB15-component adapter on the output side also).

Here are some pictures of the problem and cables used. NOTE! I know that the cable is not an official component cable, but as the connectors are still RCA, it does not matter. If I connect the source to the monitor directly with the cable that is now connected to the Extron, I have a perfect picture. So, the problem lies somewhere between the Extron and monitor.

Hmm. Now I actually started to wonder how the cable from the Extron to the Sony is wired. I haven't measured it with a multimeter yet.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... ewNE2_Ol8p

SOLVED: It was the cable from Extron to monitor. It was ordered from teh internets years ago, so it appeats to be something else than it claims. I replaced the bad cable with a similar "component to rgb" adapter as for the input + regular RCA-RCA wires from there to the monitor. Works like a charm!

Thanks for the tips and help :)