NT Mini Noir

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
strygo

NT Mini Noir

Post by strygo »

https://www.analogue.co/editions/nt-mini-noir/

It's back and updated. I hemmed and hawed right as these went out of stock the first time. I ended up getting an AVS instead and have been happy with it.

I'm curious how many folks will jump given the higher price point, compared to the Super Nt and Mega Sg. I'm also curious what this will do to the resale market. My guess is that it will cause those prices to plummet.
strygo

Re: NT Mini Noir

Post by strygo »

Yikes, I just saw this comment on their Facebook post:
trust me $499 is expensive but once this system completely sold out. This is gonna be at least over $5K after market. Plus this is their final production.
I wonder how much the pent up demand for the Mini is due to this mindset.
Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst »

NES/Famicom collecting is dying, 2016 was the peak for prices on the used game market.

This feels like a last gasp in that respect.
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

strygo wrote:Yikes, I just saw this comment on their Facebook post:
trust me $499 is expensive but once this system completely sold out. This is gonna be at least over $5K after market. Plus this is their final production.
I wonder how much the pent up demand for the Mini is due to this mindset.
It will probably sell for 1k in a few years but by that time someone else would have made a better and cheaper version.
The Future Is Now
AceFan84

Post by AceFan84 »

I always said if they make another run of the mini I would get one. Is it dumb and a waste of money to buy one...yeah most likely. Would I recommend others do it...no not really, if money is a concern just get an AVS for a lot less (I have one and like it a lot). Did any of this stop me from preordering a Mini V2...no.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

We'll see, nobody ain't got a crystal ball it's very hard or even impossible to predict the price these sort of things will command in the future, nobody back when the NT Mini was first announced forsaw that in 2020 these will sell for 2100-2700 for a used copy: https://www.ebay.com/itm/372918156951
Last edited by Lawfer on Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KonradKlaus

Post by KonradKlaus »

I got all excited, because I interpreted this as making a nt mini in the vein of the super nt and mega sg. Decidedly not interested realizing what it is. I have a rgb nes and mister.

I just wish they'd let us preorder the pocket!
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

AceFan84 wrote:I always said if they make another run of the mini I would get one. Is it dumb and a waste of money to buy one...yeah most likely.
Is it? It's not original hardware true (it's a simulator of the NES hardware, if you can call it that), but the original NES is quite a limited console to begin with, for one it only outputs composite and only mono and both are quite poor, you can get a good picture and good sound from original NES hardware, but it requires quite a bit of modding.

The Nt Mini gets rid of all the needs for any modding for one as it outputs HDMI, RGB, Component, S-Video, Composite and Stereo out of the box, also unlike the Super Nt, Mega Sg and Analogue Pocket it doesn't need the analogue DAC, it also allows you to play multiple 8-bit consoles on it AND no need for cartridges at all, you just need to use the custom firmware and play all the games you want from an SD card.

I prefer original hardware for sure and am willing to pay more for it, but i'll make an exception when it comes to the original NES.
pablumatic

Post by pablumatic »

Preordered one. I don't need it but I'm sure I could always sell it later if I want.

I wonder what has become of the rumored "Analogue 8" in light of this re-release?

I suspect the Analogue 8 will still be released, but be a stripped-down NT mini in the vein of the Super NT and Mega SG. No internal analog output or famicom cartridge slot.
AceFan84

Post by AceFan84 »

Lawfer wrote:
AceFan84 wrote:I always said if they make another run of the mini I would get one. Is it dumb and a waste of money to buy one...yeah most likely.
Is it? It's not original hardware true (it's a simulator of the NES hardware, if you can call it that), but the original NES is quite a limited console to begin with, for one it only outputs composite and only mono and both are quite poor, you can get a good picture and good sound from original NES hardware, but it requires quite a bit of modding.

The Nt Mini gets rid of all the needs for any modding for one as it outputs HDMI, RGB, Component, S-Video, Composite and Stereo out of the box, also unlike the Super Nt, Mega Sg and Analogue Pocket it doesn't need the analogue DAC, it also allows you to play multiple 8-bit consoles on it AND no need for cartridges at all, you just need to use the custom firmware and play all the games you want from an SD card.

I prefer original hardware for sure and am willing to pay more for it, but i'll make an exception when it comes to the original NES.
Yeah I don't PERSONALLY think it's dumb to get one but I can see why people would think that, $500 is A LOT of money.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

I didn't buy the first time around because I wanted something more along the lines of what we got with the SNES and Genesis. Maybe we'll eventually get that, maybe we won't.. but I went ahead and grabbed this one regardless.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

AceFan84 wrote:Yeah I don't PERSONALLY think it's dumb to get one but I can see why people would think that, $500 is A LOT of money.
It is, but retro gaming is expensive in the first place, expensive consoles, expensive games, expensive pro/broadcast CRT monitors, expensive cables etc

KonradKlaus wrote:I got all excited, because I interpreted this as making a nt mini in the vein of the super nt and mega sg. Decidedly not interested realizing what it is.
brentsg wrote:I didn't buy the first time around because I wanted something more along the lines of what we got with the SNES and Genesis.
I don't get it, it's the same thing, just with additional analog outputs.
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

Lawfer wrote:
brentsg wrote:I didn't buy the first time around because I wanted something more along the lines of what we got with the SNES and Genesis.
And 2.5x the price!

Missing interpolation as well which is a big thing if you like to use the correct AR on a modern TV.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

EnragedWhale wrote:
Lawfer wrote:
And 2.5x the price!
Yeah I get that, but neither of these two mentions anything about the price, instead the way they worded it seem almost as if the Super Nt and Mega Sg is supposed to makes toasts and pancakes for them, but then got disappointed when they found out that the Nt Mini v2 doesn't.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

AceFan84 wrote:I always said if they make another run of the mini I would get one. Is it dumb and a waste of money to buy one...yeah most likely. Would I recommend others do it...no not really, if money is a concern just get an AVS for a lot less (I have one and like it a lot). Did any of this stop me from preordering a Mini V2...no.
Ha, I like the way you think!
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

It's very likely not a bad idea to grab one or two of these if you have the cash around, even if you don't need this at all. I bet it'll remain a vanity piece for the self-respected retro gamer and a must-own for the aspiring retro gaming Youtuber.

Thinking about what this offers exclusively that none of the other main options do (NESRGB, Hi-Def NES, and MiSTer NES core)... I guess it would be clean S-video with zero audio buzz. That'd be about it, and I can actually see the value in that for a dozen or so people.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

Lawfer wrote:I don't get it, it's the same thing, just with additional analog outputs.
I expected a cost reduced version that is like the later offerings, not too complicated. We didn't get it so I bought this one.

No toast needed. I also never said I was disappointed.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

brentsg wrote:
Lawfer wrote:I don't get it, it's the same thing, just with additional analog outputs.
I expected a cost reduced version that is like the later offerings, not too complicated.

We didn't get it so I bought this one.

No toast needed. I also never said I was disappointed either.
So it's a price issue then, yeah I understand, 500 bucks + shipping is alot of money, I also didn't just quote your reply, but KonradKlaus as well, both of your replies were kind of cryptic, no mentions of prices were made and you both kind of made it sound you had issue with the fact that the Mega Sg and Super Nt were a product-type different from the Nt Mini with special features not present in the Nt Mini or something, but if it's simply an issue with the price you're having then it is perfectly understandable.

fernan1234 wrote:It's very likely not a bad idea to grab one or two of these if you have the cash around
Good advise (probably), I wouldn't be surprised if scalpers with alot of cash went ahead and bought 20 of these or something.
Sargon

Post by Sargon »

This thing is beautiful, and I want it, but I can't pull the trigger at $500.

And quite honestly, I already have an RGB-modded NES and an OSSC, so I have no need for it.
Larrs888

Post by Larrs888 »

I love my Super Nt and Mega Sg and was hoping this was going to be a “lite” version, digital only with a plastic shell. I think the price is a bit much for me but what is really holding me back is lack of information on the following.

1. The original Nt mini lacks from what I’ve read Interpolation, which is a key feature in my view when gaming at 4.3 on a flat screen. The Super Nt, Sg and even rival AVS have this. Latter classic mini consoles like the SNES mini also included it. I have emailed support and will wait and see, for the price it would be more than a shame for this not to have it.

2. Colour output. I recall the HiDef NES doesn’t output the correct colour space so pallets seem off, this was a problem with early Super Nt firmware but later fixed, colours were darker or more garish. Forgive me I don’t have the technical info to hand but it was documented in the Super Nt thread. Does the Nt mini produce the correct colours?

I hope someone might know, thanks.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Please be the final run... Of the aluminum bodied $500 version. And then release a new one in-line with the NT and SG.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Larrs888 wrote:1. The original Nt mini lacks from what I’ve read Interpolation, which is a key feature in my view when gaming at 4.3 on a flat screen.
What if you game at 240p RGB on a 4:3 monitor?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

At the same time that they registered the trademark for the Analogue Pocket (which was later announced), they also registered a trademark for "Analogue 8". I have the feeling that it will probably be something like the Mega Sg for 8-bit consoles, with cartridge adapters for a variety of different things. That would be the lower-cost NES replacement for the Nt Mini. I think I'll wait for that.
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

Just buy an AVS unless you really want Analog output. (or piracy of other systems. But at that point it'd be cheaper to just get a MISTer)
The AVS is far more affordable, there are good palette choices and horizontal interpolation to get the AR you want without scaling artifacts.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

I find it funny that people think an item that has been selling consistently for 3000$ over the last few months is suddenly "too expensive" at 500$.

This is the finest piece of hardware in gaming imo. I don't wanna hear a single person complaining in a year or two when this is 1-2k AGAIN.....

AVS is 720p and is a trapezoid.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

tusecsy wrote:This is the finest piece of hardware in gaming imo. I don't wanna hear a single person complaining in a year or two when this is 1-2k AGAIN.....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/193258367366

tusecsy wrote:AVS is 720p and is a trapezoid.
Yeah the Nt Mini v2 is a much better product, no contest here.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Well, this one at least it has real NES guts inside.
MidOrFeed2015

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

yay i waited for this and it finally happened. preordered it!
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

Lawfer wrote:
Larrs888 wrote:1. The original Nt mini lacks from what I’ve read Interpolation, which is a key feature in my view when gaming at 4.3 on a flat screen.
What if you game at 240p RGB on a 4:3 monitor?
Then of course you don’t need it. It’s a shame it’s not there though, especially considering the price.

All this NT mini talk inspired me to play some NES on my AVS last night, it really is a great system and shouldn’t be overlooked imo.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

fernan1234 wrote:
Well, this one at least it has real NES guts inside.
Yes and no, apparently the motherboard is custom-made, the only real NES hardware in there would be the PPU and CPU. The Analogue NT was known to have quite a few glitches and compatibility issues not found in original Nintendo-released hardware.