NT Mini Noir

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
fernan1234

Re: NT Mini Noir

Post by fernan1234 »

^That comparison is assuming that a real NES/Famicom and the core on the Nt mini are 100% interchangeable. As good as the core is, it's not 100% perfect.

Also you could add the cost of a RAM adapter and FDSStick for the FDS library, since neither an Everdrive nor any FPGA core has gotten the sound right. The new Everdrive firmware has seen some improvements though, it would be interesting to compare it to the NES core on the Nt, as well as the MiSTer's core.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Dochartaigh wrote:
vol.2 wrote:It's absolutely too expensive. It's absurdly expensive at $500 and it's irresponsibly wasteful at ebay prices.
(not picking on you vol.2, you just happened to be the last one who posted something like this)
That's OK. :) I am a good sport.

Yes, you make some good points. I can see a situation where someone who is 1) pretty much new to retrogaming and doesn't already have SNES or NES stuff, 2) Can't or won't do the mod work themselves, and 3) doesn't mind playing their OG carts on a fake system, would benefit from (simply) purchasing one of these at 5 c-notes.

However, as you pointed out, most of us 1) have a bunch of that stuff already and 2) can and will do the mod work ourselves.

I'd like to further point out that this particular device's intended market is undeniably for "enthusiasts," who are exactly the kind of people who will not realize the monetary value you have itemized from the NT mini. The people who are realistically buying this thing have all that stuff and would be buying it because it's pretty and they have money to burn. (or they can't help themselves I suppose)

I, personally, will spend stupid amounts of money on stuff I don't need, but this particular thing doesn't wet my appetite. My personal reason for not wanting an NT is that 3) it's not original hardware.

I don't see the point in buying a fake console (for $500) to play real carts. If I want to play a fake system, I'll use a RPI4 (with it's superior image quality).
strygo

Post by strygo »

It looks like many folks have either received or will be receiving their unit this week. So far, from what I've seen, the primary reaction is that the shell is a lighter color than originally depicted on the Analogue website.

The Jailbreak was also just released this morning. The cores themselves appear to have been improved and there is now a Sega Genesis one included as well. I'm looking forward to reviews of the unit.

https://www.retrorgb.com/analogue-nt-mi ... break.html
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

A Sega Genesis core is a huge bonus..but don’t most Genesis games use 3 buttons and the NES only has two? A PC engine core would have been at home on that unit.
The Future Is Now
strygo

Post by strygo »

SNK-NEO-GEO wrote:A Sega Genesis core is a huge bonus..but don’t most Genesis games use 3 buttons and the NES only has two? A PC engine core would have been at home on that unit.
The Jailbreak documentation suggested using a SNES-style controller for many of the cores for the added buttons.

I agree, a PC Engine core would be great. A few more of the cores present on the upcoming Pocket would be a nice addition as well.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Who knows, a PC Engine core may happen after the Duo consoles are sold out. A SNES core would have been the most welcome since the SNES clone console seems to be the most difficult to find.

But out of all the consoles this is the most useful, for all the other cores there are other options and the original hardware is good, but for the NES if you want the original composite video and colors it's either the original hardware with its video and audio noise, or this.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

strygo wrote:
SNK-NEO-GEO wrote:A Sega Genesis core is a huge bonus..but don’t most Genesis games use 3 buttons and the NES only has two? A PC engine core would have been at home on that unit.
The Jailbreak documentation suggested using a SNES-style controller for many of the cores for the added buttons.
On the Noir, we're not able to use any of the 2.4g 8BitDo SNES/Genesis controllers most of us bought for the SuperNT/MegaSG, correct? Since those 2.4g receivers use actual real SNES/Genesis plugs? I see my 8BitDo M30 (Sega Genesis 6-button type) is also available in 2.4g via USB, but I have the retro receiver with the Genesis/Megadrive plug of course which is no use here.

Is the USB port on the back of the Noir (which there's only one), able to be used for other controllers? The manual says that USB is for charging, but don't know if you can also use it for a wired controller (which I would not like in this day and age) or wireless USB dongle for a controller on that port or what.

...so this would be a bummer if the above is correct. People aren't going to have a good time using Select on their NES pad for the "C" button on Genesis...
Last edited by Dochartaigh on Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
strygo

Post by strygo »

Dochartaigh wrote: We're not able to use any of the 2.4g 8BitDo SNES/Genesis/whatever controllers on this though, correct? Because the 2.4g receivers use actual real SNES/Genesis plugs, and the USB ones (since there is a USB port on the back of the Noir - don't know if it's *only* for charging though) can only be used via bluetooth? Am I correct in that? If so, that's a real bummer – bluetooth ones have ALWAYS sucked for me at one time or another, and 2.4g ones have always been stupid reliable - literally just plug and play.
I'm not certain, but I believe that the controllers are in fact cross-compatible with other systems' retro receivers.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

strygo wrote: I'm not certain, but I believe that the controllers are in fact cross-compatible with other systems' retro receivers.
I thought I read something about that too, but thought it was for the bluetooth ones only. Trying to google but very hard to find this exact use scenario so far – I would like to use my M30 (Genesis) 2.4g on the Noir I think, using the N30 (NES) 2.4g retro wireless receiver. I'll mess with it when I have some time.

On another topic, it seems like I can NOT use my regular VGA to 5x BNC breakout cables, like the industry-standard ones which I've used on every Extron, Kramer, BVM or PVM monitor, Crestron, TVOne, etc. etc. for composite output on the Noir, right? Why they couldn't make the green line Composite, and the green and blue S-Video (or whatever) is beyond me... but seems like you need the Computer/PC-type special cable they recommend for this which has pins 4 and 5 bridged?

Seems like my regular VGA to 5x BNC cables WILL work for YPbPr and RGBS, correct? Somebody posted somewhere that these won't output RGBS, only RGBHV - that has to be incorrect, right (or was maybe for the older NT's)?

Last, if you use an Everdrive (I have the Krikzz N8 Pro). Should you put the Noir into 3.6v mode? A review I read says the N8 has sufficient resistors or whatever to (I assume step-down) 5v, but wouldn't it be safer to put the Noir into 3.6v mode?

strygo

Post by strygo »

Dochartaigh wrote: On another topic, it seems like I can NOT use my regular VGA to 5x BNC breakout cables, like the industry-standard ones which I've used on every Extron, Kramer, BVM or PVM monitor, Crestron, TVOne, etc. etc. for composite output on the Noir, right? Why they couldn't make the green line Composite, and the green and blue S-Video (or whatever) is beyond me... but seems like you need the Computer/PC-type special cable they recommend for this which has pins 4 and 5 bridged?
According to the PDF linked here, you will need the adapter cables from Monoprice for composite and s-video.
Dochartaigh wrote:Seems like my regular VGA to 5x BNC cables WILL work for YPbPr and RGBS, correct? Somebody posted somewhere that these won't output RGBS, only RGBHV - that has to be incorrect, right (or was maybe for the older NT's)?
I believe this is correct. For the sync, there should be an option for you to control how you would like the sync output (RGBHV, RGBS, RGsB). By my reading the DAC and NT Mini Noir are identical in behavior. My understanding is that the original run of the NT Mini did not output 5v on pin 9, whereas the second batch as well as the Noir do.
Dochartaigh wrote:Last, if you use an Everdrive (I have the Krikzz N8 Pro). Should you put the Noir into 3.6v mode? A review I read says the N8 has sufficient resistors or whatever to (I assume step-down) 5v, but wouldn't it be safer to put the Noir into 3.6v mode?
The N8 Pro was redesigned to use 5v. If you have the Pro, you should leave this setting as 5v.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

strygo wrote:According to the PDF linked here, you will need the adapter cables from Monoprice for composite and s-video.
Thanks (and for the other answers too!). I'm just bitter I guess lol that BVM/PVM users need to get yet ANOTHER cable (even if it's super cheap) instead of using the super duper common cables most of us already have tons of on-hand.

On another note, anybody else have SUPER loose controller ports on their Noir? Like so loose that the slightest, teeniest bit of effort will pull the cord out? 6 out of 8 of my original NES controllers are like this and others are reporting the same (some also say theirs are fine but I don't know how many controllers they own or tested - two of mine did work fine after all). These controllers have been fine on 3 original NES consoles, it's just the Noir.

Honestly I'm going to be using wireless most of the time, but when I have people over, or want to get more competitive into a hard game, or want to use a light gun... this is definitely going to cause issues and should NOT be a problem on a $500 console...

Boring video I took if anybody wants to see the issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSISY8WJAVc
strygo

Post by strygo »

Dochartaigh wrote:On another note, anybody else have SUPER loose controller ports on their Noir? Like so loose that the slightest, teeniest bit of effort will pull the cord out? 6 out of 8 of my original NES controllers are like this and others are reporting the same (some also say theirs are fine but I don't know how many controllers they own or tested - two of mine did work fine after all). These controllers have been fine on 3 original NES consoles, it's just the Noir.
Yeah, I noticed it too. I'm personally not bothered - I really like the new N30 controllers and will be picking up a second one. It has a nice feel compared to the earlier NES model.
AceFan84

Post by AceFan84 »

strygo wrote: The N8 Pro was redesigned to use 5v. If you have the Pro, you should leave this setting as 5v.
What about if you have the older model N8, should I change it to the lower voltage? I'm also using Everdrives with my Super NT and Mega SG, do I need to be concerned about voltage with those?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

AceFan84 wrote: What about if you have the older model N8, should I change it to the lower voltage? I'm also using Everdrives with my Super NT and Mega SG, do I need to be concerned about voltage with those?

From the man himself:
kevtris Today at 1:11 AM
sure you can use 3.6V for everything
the original ntm was 3.6V
I have the option in there in case people had problems but no one ever did.
but it's in there if you need/want it. haha
it's just the IO voltage on the address/data lines, the cart always receives 5V power like usual
AceFan84

Post by AceFan84 »

fernan1234 wrote:
AceFan84 wrote: What about if you have the older model N8, should I change it to the lower voltage? I'm also using Everdrives with my Super NT and Mega SG, do I need to be concerned about voltage with those?

From the man himself:
kevtris Today at 1:11 AM
sure you can use 3.6V for everything
the original ntm was 3.6V
I have the option in there in case people had problems but no one ever did.
but it's in there if you need/want it. haha
it's just the IO voltage on the address/data lines, the cart always receives 5V power like usual
Ok that takes care of that. Thanks!
daskrabs

Post by daskrabs »

Question for Noir owners: When you play in RGB via either HD15 port or HDMI via DAC, is the default NES core volume level really low? It is on mine. It's like half the volume of GB and GBC cores, which sound great and are at the correct levels, IMHO. The other cores are much louder as well. There doesn't seem to be a way to raise the overall core volume at all. The 5 individual channels can be raised, but even then, screws up the expansion audio level calibration, which already default to 100%. I have "-3db cut" disabled and "700mv video" enabled, as is needed for RGB. I don't know, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I have to raise the volume on the monitor to the point where I get a ton of video noise from the RGB lines. Like I said, it seems to just be the NES core with the issue. Let me know. Thanks.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

daskrabs wrote:is the default NES core volume level really low?
Yes, it is very low. And it is by design. Kevtris commented on the reason being related to having to mix a large number of channels (5 internal plus all possible expansion audio channels). I don't really know the technical details though.

In any case, even if you use analogue video, I highly recommend that you use the digital audio from the HDMI output, extracting it into the format/connection type that you need if possible, as the digital output is the only 100% perfect, noise free option (even the built RCA analog audio has a bit of noise floor, and the headphone output has a clipping bug). As for volume, it's not recommended to increase the levels of the core channels to compensate for the low volume, as this will lead to distortion (also, the -3Db cut setting is for the headphone output). Instead, you should use the volume control on your stereo or headphone amplifier.

In my case I extract digital optical audio from the HDMI, and route it through my stereo amp first and then into a second (headphone) amplifier so that I don't have to adjust the volume on the latter.
daskrabs

Post by daskrabs »

Thanks for the response, I really appreciate. But I don't understand because the v1 NTM didn't have such low volume. Also, I have an Analogue DAC, and the HDMI audio is marginally cleaner, but the same issue exists. Running audio separately is a pain in the ass in my scart switch setup.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Ah yes SCART can be a pain as usual. If your audio equipment has any digital coax or optical inputs it may be worth getting some HDMI audio extractor though, or a switch with this feature. Anyway you'll want to crank up your volume when you play on the Noir. Not sure why this wasn't an issue on the v1 Nt Mini, but that clone is less accurate overall in terms of audio.