New DIY Neo Geo CMVS Kit - gauging opinions and feedback

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Taiyaki

Re: New DIY Neo Geo CMVS Kit - gauging opinions and feedback

Post by Taiyaki »

The final product looks good, but I guess it shouldn't be surprising since it's essentially a complete ripoff of JNX's build (down to the power button now conveniently located in the front as per his design). All you need to finish it off is a 3D printed cartridge slot cover from Lions3 (he normally provides them for JNX but you can probably buy it from him directly).

https://lions3.com/product-category/arcade-related/
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

The power button and its location are both different from JNXs's box. Since receiving Marmottas kit and deciding on the changes I'd like to see, I havent even looked at JNX's box. And lets be real here-- JNX didnt exactly invent the concept of placing a power button on the front of a piece of consumer electronics, so no, these changes are not at all taken or stolen from JNX's design.

JNX was the first to recognize / find a box that would neatly house an MV1C and build it out, he gets credit for that, no doubt-- but this box can be purchased from Amazon by anyone, and I fundamentally disagree that JNX is the only person that has the right to consolize an MVS with it. Anyone can do it. And they are also free to sell it if they wish, just as JNX can.

To be clear, this is not meant to replace or compete with JNX's custom builds or Marmottas DIY kits. This is a project personalizing Marmottas original design to something I feel is more aesthetically and ergonomically pleasing. Marmotta is free to update his DIY kits with this layout if he so chooses. I sent him an email about it already.

About the dust cover, its a good idea, but I dont care for the look of it. If it was white with red "SNK" lettering on it, it would look much better with this color scheme. As it is, I'd just as well leave cart in the slot or go without.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Marmotta is free to do this just as members of the community are also free to find is disrespectful of a fellow creators work.

As for the 3D printed cartridge slot you can probably ask him to do it in any color you want. The purpose is to prevent dust built up but you can always just put something else on top to achieve the same thing.
MarcMarcB

Post by MarcMarcB »

I’m really willing to buy one of those kits whenever they are ready!!!!
Marmotta

Post by Marmotta »

For those that are interested, I'm still working on a kit that I'd be perfectly happy selling. I've been through a number of iterations of pretty much every component and the finish line is in sight. I've settled on a version of the AV/power board (pic below) which has been partially assembled by a PCB fab - final assembly of the amplifier and through-hole parts will be done by hand. I've designed a quick solder board with a flex cable for the controller pinouts; the cost of PCB fabrication and assembly for this works out relatively low per unit if ordering ~100 or more, and definitely helps with ease of install and keeping everything looking tidy. I've just submitted final files for the motherboard support and front/rear panels to be laser cut, which I should receive before Christmas and can then order larger quantities if I'm happy with them. I've also decided to have the cases CNC milled by the manufacturer; this adds considerable cost to them, but also removes one of the most time consuming and inconsistent elements of the whole kit, so I'm hoping it won't affect the final sale price too badly, if at all.

I'm aiming to have everything ready to go around mid-January. It's unlikely I'll be able to order the final laser cut parts until just after Christmas (assuming I'm happy with the current ones), which will then take 2-3 weeks, and lead time on the custom CNC cases is 4-5 weeks. I'm also buying different elements piecemeal depending on what I can afford at any given time, as I need to order anywhere between 25-100 of each different element of the build to make it financially viable. I can't really give a firm final price estimate until everything has arrived and fully calculated after shipping, taxes, etc. but I'm aiming for somewhere around the £80-90 GBP mark. As I mentioned, I will also be selling some complete consoles on an ad-hoc basis to the UK and certain European countries only.
lunch_box

Post by lunch_box »

Looks and sounds good. I’m still in for one when they are ready to go :).

I’m in uk, wouldn’t mind a pretty built one if there are any available.
Uplinkpro

Post by Uplinkpro »

Definitely interested in this, I purchased that exact shell and considered using it myself but laser cutting looks much better than a hatchet job i could do with a Dremel lol. After reading all the drama I wonder how they feel about JNX using old analogue RGB circuits in his builds, is JNX ripping analogue off? No, so why is this any different? Now its to decide on this or OpenMVS.
lunch_box

Post by lunch_box »

Hey man, you still planning on selling these? I still want one if you are :)

Thanks