Wii2HDMI for Xbox

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
kassj0peja

Wii2HDMI for Xbox

Post by kassj0peja »

Does anybody have experience with modding a Wii2HDMI adapter for OG Xbox?

There seems to be different versions of the adapter and not all of them work and some of them put out a better signal than others?

Is there a lag to be expected and is it possible to output only 480p instead of upscaled 1080p?
Speedy

Re: Wii2HDMI for Xbox

Post by Speedy »

Modding those Wii2HDMI adapters for use with OG Xbox is a waste of time IMO.
If you're determined to use one of those cheap OG Xbox adapters/cables then the Pound HD Link Cable one is is the easiest route to take.
With that said, both of those are different forms of terrible in my experience. They're fine if you very casually want to get your old console working on a digital display, but they all have video quality issues if you care about the end-result.

You'd be much better off using an Xbox Component Video cable and running them through one of these Portta Component to HDMI Converter or possibly a slightly nicer AVerMedia Component to HDMI Converters (they've both worked in my experience).

If you also want a solution for other consoles you could use a RetroTINK 2x and put it in Pass-through Mode, but you'd be limited to 480p.
Or, you could go one step beyond that and use an OSSC which would be the most versatile and capable of handling almost anything.
Drunk_Caterpillar

Post by Drunk_Caterpillar »

Stop what you're doing and take a look at Chimeric Systems' Xbox HDMI Adapter. Terrific ADC, integrates digital audio in to the HDMI output, and doesn't require external power. Until someone releases a proper HDMI output that taps in to the DAC on the Xbox motherboard, this is probably the best option out there and it's only $50USD. I got mine a few months back and it works perfectly.
kassj0peja

Post by kassj0peja »

Thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately that Chimeric box is not availabe and shipping to Europe will be expensive. So are component cables and the Retrotink which does not make much sense anyway with the Xbox because with component cable and 480p it would not even work. The new Scart version looks interesting though and that is the cable I am using now. But the price is also pretty steep and not available in Europe.

So I wanted to convert a X360 component cable and use it with the Portta box but then I stumbled upon the Wii2HDMI mod.

I thought the Wii2HDMI gets the component signal out of the Xbox (for just a few dollars) and uses a similar quality transcoder for the conversion to HDMI like the Portta box. I suppose both add some lag.
beharius

Post by beharius »

makar1

Post by makar1 »

kassj0peja wrote: I thought the Wii2HDMI gets the component signal out of the Xbox (for just a few dollars) and uses a similar quality transcoder for the conversion to HDMI like the Portta box. I suppose both add some lag.
Video converters (DAC/ADC only) generally do not add any perceivable lag. Upscalers and deinterlacers are the processes that cause lag.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

The infamous Kaico will be putting out an HDMI cable for the Xbox: https://kaicolabs.com/product/original- ... y-adaptor/

They also have a PS2 version (PS1 coming soon) out now to buy but I've not seen any reviews for it.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Gunstar wrote:The infamous Kaico will be putting out an HDMI cable for the Xbox: https://kaicolabs.com/product/original- ... y-adaptor/

They also have a PS2 version (PS1 coming soon) out now to buy but I've not seen any reviews for it.
Should be better than a Pound cable, and just as easy to use, but it's still just a YPbPr-to-HDMI converter.