Win98SE will NOT install without ERRORS (and can't game!)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Dochartaigh

Re: Win98SE will NOT install without ERRORS (and can't game!

Post by Dochartaigh »

Austin wrote:Coincidentally, Phil just posted a video about a very similar system to yours. 1GHZ Pentium III, same chipset, etc. Link: https://youtu.be/Z-YptA_ttUA. No issues.

Don't have time to scroll through the thread again so I'm not sure how many different motherboard and CPU combos you have tried, but it might not hurt to invest in another one. That's basically what I did when I had problems with my '98 build (but I ended up going AMD, so it was significantly cheaper. This Intel stuff is much pricier).
I saw the video. He's using an extremely close MB to what I have (of which I have 3x) with the same exact 440bx chipset.

Wanted to update my progress of this build: I seem (for the time being ;) to have a stable build of Windows 98 SE working now - at least for most of last weekend and Mon or Tues night (probably ~30 hours use so far – which is WAY better than I usually do). All the DOS games (around 50) are running proper, and I started on the 35 or so CD (mostly Windows games) games.

I started with ONLY the TNT2 and ESS sound card, but this time I used an actual Win98SE install disk, on my slowest CD burner (24x vs 40+x before). Used 450mhz Slot 1 and only installed 64mb RAM. Also used another keyboard and mouse just in case (one person mentioned that bricking his system). Once Win98SE was installed I used the Intel Chipset drivers off Phil's site instead of another version I was previously using. After installing 30 or 40 games I then:

In stages between installing, testing, and making shortcuts for even more games, I installed the Voodoo2's in SLI and those seem stable as well. After that installed some more games then put the 384mb RAM back in, then finally switched back to the original 700mhz processor.... So I have ZERO clue what actually did it this time. I honestly think it was the actual/real Windows CD (I remember in the 00's, and 2010's that I had bad luck when using burns of Windows and resorted to borrowing a friends disc at one point even...), but regardless right now it seems stable.

NEXT STEPS:

I would like advice on three things for my next (and hopefully final) steps:

1.) Before I go and possibly screw things up, what hard drive imaging/backup software can I use that actually works? I read a ton of topics and decided on Norton Ghost 2003 as it was recommended and said to be easy to use. I tried two backups of two different (working at the time) systems, and once restored neither would run quite right afterwards. Can I just literally just use something simple like Xcopy and copy over C:\Windows and Program Files directories and call it a day? (I can do the root of C:\ with the hidden files too). Then if I screw up anything delete those folders and copy back over with Xcopy /E /V /H /K (don't know if all those switches will work in DOS 7.1 -googled the command- but that seems to be correct for keeping all the file attributes and directory structure in place)?

2.) Next up is upgrading the TNT2. I don't think I've never had a 100% reliable build with the GeForce 4, and since then I decided I wanted to build this computer period correct as of 1999, so I picked up a GeForce 256 64mb DDR. Any suggestions on what exact version of drivers I should use? I have like 5x flavors for the GeForce 4 and TNT2's I've tried before... Any tips on the process of rolling back/uninstalling drivers properly when switching video cards? Like the proper sequence to do it? (the TNT2 drivers are installed currently, but some versions of those work for all Nvidia cards up to that point).

3.) I've been happy with the ESS ES1869F ISA sound card with Dreamblaster X2. BUT, when I was researching everybody said the Audigy 2 ZS is the best card for Windows so that's why I bought one of those to use as well. ...but like the above example I haven't had a solid build with the Audigy installed either... Is it even worth it to install this card alongside the ESS? Like what am I really getting sound-wise if I don't have the greatest hearing and aren't using the best speakers? (i.e. am not an audiophile, and certainly not for 90's era and earlier games...).
Austin

Re: Win98SE will NOT install without ERRORS (and can't game!

Post by Austin »

Glad to see you got a system up and running stable. Crazy how much of a pain in the ass these systems can be these days. I remember back in the day *never* having issues reformatting and reinstalling Windows '98 on my various machines. But that was at a time where I used official driver discs for everything, not having to hunt around the internet for what's hopefully the right software.

Regarding the Audigy you will be getting things like EAX which significantly improves the sound in games that support it. Check out some comparison videos on YouTube to hear the difference. You could always try to install it, and worst case you end up having to remove it from the system if it doesn't work correctly.