Saturn Mission Stick (Japanese)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Kez

Saturn Mission Stick (Japanese)

Post by Kez »

Hey, I was wondering if anyone on this board has any experience with the Saturn Mission Stick?

I bought a Japanese one of these a year or two back, and used it a little. It seems to have no deadzone at all. When the stick is neutral, it just kinda shakes and wobbles constantly. So for example in Space Harrier, Harrier is just wobbling and shaking in the middle of the screen. In Panzer Dragoon, the whole screen vibrates as a result of this which is really irritating. Obviously it's not a total dealbreaker and doesn't render games unplayable, but I am a bit of a perfectionist and I find it annoying and distracting.

So has anyone else experienced this? Perhaps the Japanese stick is different from the USA version somehow? Or do they all just do this?

I'd also be open to suggestions to improve it with modding.. I wondered about replacing the spring for a thicker one.

Thanks
BrianC

Re: Saturn Mission Stick (Japanese)

Post by BrianC »

I just received a JP mission stick in the mail. It seems a slight bit shaky, but it doesn't seem to register inputs on its own and the space harrier stays put when the stick is in a neutral position.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Hmm, okay thanks for letting me know. Maybe mine is just a dud, then.. or the spring is worn. I'll post a video at some point to better show what I am talking about.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

It looks like the US stick is slightly different, though. The base with buttons is the same (aside from the color), but the B and C buttons on top of the stick on are much larger. The trigger button looks like it might be fatter too.
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

I bought one a while ago and only got round to using it recently, I'm having the same problem. Originally harrier was shaking like you said and there was no dead zone . I took it apart and cleaned all the dust out and cleaned the leds with alcohol and now I do have my dead zone back but if I try to keep harrier in place he still shakes , probably a worn spring but I can't workout how to get that part of the stick off.

Game is totally playable just annoying like you said.
Check out my YouTube Channel
YouTube
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Ooh, I never thought to use one of these with Space Harrier, that's a great idea. Having trouble thinking of too many other games I'd put it to use with, however. I assume that, unlike the TwinStick, it'll work on any game?
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

I think so but the main ones are

Space Harrier
Afterburner 2
Night Striker
Panzer dragoon saga
YouTube
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Trevor spencer wrote:Panzer dragoon saga
Ooh, been meaning to get around to that one eventually. I assume it's mostly ideal for the battles (never tried it), is it awkward to use for general town/dungeon(are there even 'dungeons'? lol) exploration?
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

Hi

Sorry I've never played it , Ive just heard you can.
YouTube
Kez

Post by Kez »

Panzer Dragoon Saga doesn't support it, that is more of a jRPG. Panzer Dragoon 1 and 2 are arcadey rail shooters which both support it.

There is a list of games on the Sega Retro wiki, but I'd say arcade-perfect Space Harrier is the most compelling reason to have it.

https://segaretro.org/Mission_Stick#Lis ... rted_games

Thanks for the info about cleaning everything out making a difference, I haven't used the stick in quite a while but I'll have a go at cleaning it!
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

If you do decide to take it apart you will be glad for this guys blog , what a hero.

When the throttle wheel falls onto the floor into peices that picture will be most helpful.

https://retrostuff.org/2014/04/13/sega- ... continued/
YouTube
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Kez wrote:Panzer Dragoon Saga doesn't support it, that is more of a jRPG. Panzer Dragoon 1 and 2 are arcadey rail shooters which both support it.
I figured that those two were, like, 'the obvious ones' and PDSaga was some crazy surprise, haha. Would be very odd playing a JRPG with a joystick, but I wouldn't put it past Panzer Dragoon either!
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

Yeah my bad. Wrong panzer :oops:
YouTube