idea for analogue consoles

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
MidOrFeed2015

idea for analogue consoles

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

i dont know if this already "feature" or if anyone ask for it but got rejected

how about if when I put in a japanese cartridge for lets say an SNES game, the hardware is able to hot patch the game via IPS?

is such thing possible? i know retron can do this!!

i would guess that such thing not possible on analogue because rom is not dumped. it read from cartridge, and the IPS cannot change rom on cartridge. it opposite of what retron do, which dumps cart. it probably easy for IPS to apply to rom emulator starts reading game to play.

still, i wonder if such feature is possible anyway?

UFO snes has a similar idea. it lets JP carts run with translated roms. not the same idea I describe above, but kind of similar
nmalinoski

Re: idea for analogue consoles

Post by nmalinoski »

I think this is already possible with various flash carts (or at least the ability to run the resulting patched ROMs).

I'm not sure it's worth it to develop or use an internal mod that does that, but I think a reasonable middleground would be a cartridge shim that fits between the console and the cart, much like the Game Genies for NES and SNES, and GameShark for N64, which could accommodate an SD card with IPS patches; however, that would still work like the Retron, in that it would have to dump the ROM, apply the patch, and then present itself to the console as if it was the attached cart.

I can see additional utility in a device like that; that kind of hardware should also be technically capable of dumping carts and any onboard save data to the SD card (as well as restoring save data, original or modified, from the SD card); and I don't see why it couldn't be designed with the ability to be fitted with USB support, so it could dump carts and restore save data without a console, as well as load games from a PC, a la PSIO. And, at that point, it might as well also be a full-featured, standalone flash cart, with the ability to load games (with or without IPS patches) from SD and use GameShark/Game Genie codes.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

These kind of devices exist, ie. they don't rip and patch the rom, but apply the patch "live", knowing only the addresses to patch and the data to use in the patch. Unfortunately I don't think anyone has made them for actual distribution.
Also, there are some caveats with a solution like that. Like, for games with rom address mapping (like most NES games), the device would have no way of knowing which bank is currently mapped.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

It would be kinda cool if there were versions of the Everdrives that had cartridge slots on them for stuff like applying patches, pass-through mode, and dumping roms/save data. I dunno how feasible something like that would be though.