Pc Engine duo R problems

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Earthshaker

Pc Engine duo R problems

Post by Earthshaker »

Hi guys,
I modded a pc engine duo (I used an old 7314 I had at home), but something went wrong... while I was soldering, I broke 2 ppu's pad. The console works but the image has the yellow colour instead of white... and everything is yellowish..

I checked the ppu pinout and I realized the missing pads are the number 60 and 68, labeled here as "test"...
Do you think is it connected with my problem?
I would rewire those legs.. but I don't understand where!
Spoiler
Thank you!
七転び八起き
Earthshaker

Re: Pc Engine duo R problems

Post by Earthshaker »

Just quick update.. the composite works fine. I tested with many games and for long time. The RGB instead works for the first 5 minutes and then the glitches appear.. :cry:
Then I guess the problem is the board (but I tried 3 boards and I got the same results), the cable (a custom one that I made) or.. I dunno XD
Spoiler
七転び八起き
raskulous

Post by raskulous »

Earthshaker wrote:60 and 68
I think you mean 60 and 58?
Earthshaker

Post by Earthshaker »

raskulous wrote:
Earthshaker wrote:60 and 68
I think you mean 60 and 58?
Yes, sorry! 60 and 58!
七転び八起き
Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst »

You can try redoing the green and white wire connection, green appears to have strands fraying out, potentially bridging 48 and 46. White wire conductor is bent close to 45.
Earthshaker

Post by Earthshaker »

Bratwurst wrote:You can try redoing the green and white wire connection, green appears to have strands fraying out, potentially bridging 48 and 46. White wire conductor is bent close to 45.
Yes I resoldered everything and unfortunately nothing changes... I used a multimeter to make sure there aren't shorts.
However I believe the problem is the RGB mod, as the composite seems to work fine (even if it gave me some problem before, now works flawlessly O.o).
Another strange thing is that the glitch appears after 5 minutes of playing. At the beginning everthing works fine. I am considering to remove temporarily the rgb board and connect the wires directly to the putput jack just to check if something changes...
七転び八起き
Earthshaker

Post by Earthshaker »

New update, I tried the PCE without RGB board and I got the same result. I also tried to replace a cap close to the hu6260 which seemed a little bit damaged. Result? same. Always random interference.
I am really getting annoyed and I am losing my hopes. Today worked perfectly for 20 min and suddenly interferences appeared again... ](*,)
My last hope is to buy a new RGB cable, othwerise I will use my old the composite one. :'(
Where do you use to buy RGB cables? any recommendation? I live in Europe.
Thanks
七転び八起き
Earthshaker

Post by Earthshaker »

Hi guys, just want to inform you that the problem was the sync wire! I disconnected it and now finally the console works fine.
Yesterday I got other two pce duo that need to be repaired, but that's another story... XD
Thank you very much for your help!
by the way do you use caps or resistors into your pce rgb scart cable on the RGB signal? coz the image is slightly dark
七転び八起き