Limited run of 1:2 simultaneous output RGB Scart boxes

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ldeveraux

Re: Limited run of 1:2 simultaneous output RGB Scart boxes

Post by ldeveraux »

Sumez wrote:It's useful if you're doing video capture via analog VGA inputs. You need a separated sync channel for that.
Is it selectable? Can I enable/disable when needed on this device?
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

ldeveraux wrote:
Sumez wrote:It's useful if you're doing video capture via analog VGA inputs. You need a separated sync channel for that.
Is it selectable? Can I enable/disable when needed on this device?
There's a jumper inside for switching it, I believe. The manual should be in there with the link.

They also sell one with no sync stripper.
Calle W

Post by Calle W »

If I'm understanding the manual correctly, changing the jumper configuration won't disable the sync separator. Unless removing both of the jumpers disables/bypasses the sync separator, I don't see how it's possible. I'm guessing you would have to ask the seller.
This usually requires TTL sync (at least with Datapath/Micomsoft cards). According to the manual, the output is not TTL (which is perfectly understandable).

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

There's a model without a sync splitter in it, it may be a bit hard to notice but there is a box you can click on the site to choose between a sync splitter model or one without!

Here's the instructions for mucking around with the sync separator model. It's a versatile little unit!
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Calle W wrote:If I'm understanding the manual correctly, changing the jumper configuration won't disable the sync separator. Unless removing both of the jumpers disables/bypasses the sync separator, I don't see how it's possible. I'm guessing you would have to ask the seller.
This usually requires TTL sync (at least with Datapath/Micomsoft cards). According to the manual, the output is not TTL (which is perfectly understandable).

I know a lot of people use the Sync Strike with the USB3HDCAP, and then there's also the Insurrection Industries SCART2DVI designed for Datapath cards (works with the USB3HDCAP/Micomsoft as well). You could check those sites and/or contact them and double check on it
DrJohn

Post by DrJohn »

Calle W wrote:If I'm understanding the manual correctly, changing the jumper configuration won't disable the sync separator. Unless removing both of the jumpers disables/bypasses the sync separator, I don't see how it's possible. I'm guessing you would have to ask the seller.

I'm the creator of this device and since it's SCART output, yes, the levels are to be compatible with SCART's composite video. What would be bad is to have that output at TTL levels when the next bit of equipment can't handle 5V!

Internally there is 5V signals and we could on request put this to one of the unused SCART pins if you wanted. Say, pin 12? We'd probably put it through a resistor just to be sure but it should be ok, and if you have your own lead for going to other devices you can modify to connect to this. That way it would still function as intended, but yours would also ahve the 5V TTL type output.

Would that help?
DrJohn

Post by DrJohn »

kitty666cats wrote:There's a model without a sync splitter in it, it may be a bit hard to notice but there is a box you can click on the site to choose between a sync splitter model or one without!

Here's the instructions for mucking around with the sync separator model. It's a versatile little unit!
Thank you! Tried to make it as versatile as possible if you wanted to use the sync separator on RGBS as well as RGsB / SoG.

There's two jumpers inside. One is to select the input to the sync separator and disconnecting the jumper removes the input completely from the circuit. Second jumper is to select if you have the Sync line (composite video input) going to the buffer's outputs or the output from the sync separator.

I call this a "Buffer" because of how it works. In electronics a buffer is to have a copy of the input presented at the output. If it were "splitter" you'd only get part of the signal to each output, reducing brightness. Buffering means that we load up the input correctly and then boost the signal to create the correct type of video output that you need on both outputs. And we've done this using high bandwith amplifiers so as not to remove detail from the picture. You really can't tell the difference from a signal that's gone through the buffer to one which hasn't. This also means you don't get reflections of the signals up and down the leads.

One of my own frustrations is how poor some of the consumer electronics have been, and when I set up the company creating video converters it was with the intention to offer the highest quality electronics that you normally don't see in the home.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

DrJohn wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:There's a model without a sync splitter in it, it may be a bit hard to notice but there is a box you can click on the site to choose between a sync splitter model or one without!

Thank you! Tried to make it as versatile as possible if you wanted to use the sync separator on RGBS as well as RGsB / SoG.

There's two jumpers inside. One is to select the input to the sync separator and disconnecting the jumper removes the input completely from the circuit. Second jumper is to select if you have the Sync line (composite video input) going to the buffer's outputs or the output from the sync separator.

I call this a "Buffer" because of how it works. In electronics a buffer is to have a copy of the input presented at the output. If it were "splitter" you'd only get part of the signal to each output, reducing brightness. Buffering means that we load up the input correctly and then boost the signal to create the correct type of video output that you need on both outputs. And we've done this using high bandwith amplifiers so as not to remove detail from the picture. You really can't tell the difference from a signal that's gone through the buffer to one which hasn't. This also means you don't get reflections of the signals up and down the leads.

One of my own frustrations is how poor some of the consumer electronics have been, and when I set up the company creating video converters it was with the intention to offer the highest quality electronics that you normally don't see in the home.
Oh, missed this post! Hi there, John! Cool to see you've created an account :) I sent ya an e-mail with a quick question about your SCART to VGA scalar, thinking about scooping one up once my cash flow steadies (should be within the next couple weeks).

I'm a bit embarrassed since I'm exposing how green I am right here, but what should I do for physically moving/adjusting the jumpers? I opened up the box a little while back but wasn't certain, haha... didn't wanna end up breaking any tiny bits :shock:
DrJohn

Post by DrJohn »

kitty666cats wrote:
Oh, missed this post! Hi there, John! Cool to see you've created an account :) I sent ya an e-mail with a quick question about your SCART to VGA scalar, thinking about scooping one up once my cash flow steadies (should be within the next couple weeks).

I'm a bit embarrassed since I'm exposing how green I am right here, but what should I do for physically moving/adjusting the jumpers? I opened up the box a little while back but wasn't certain, haha... didn't wanna end up breaking any tiny bits :shock:
The jumpers can easily be moved by hand. They have a little tab on them (I went with those because they're easier to grip!) and you gently pull them off the headers and then fit the back on.

That's how you're supposed to do it! But I also find that sometimes with these small jumpers that they leave the connector part behind, so I tend to grip the whole jumper, putting your nail below the bottom of it, to remove it from the header.

No problem answering "green" questions. If you don't know, it's always ok to ask.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

I posted this goofy dongle-mess I made elsewhere on Shmups, but to be honest this is actually a cheap and really convenient way for someone to get the signal out to their Startech USB3HDCAP / Datapath capture card (via one of those DE-15 to DVI-I dongles).

Here's some more info on the tech used in the device, I'm not the most tech-savvy so I've been hitting up some outlets for retro gaming to see if they think this is a solid box for those who use SCART on many of their consoles, and would wanna rock this as a convenient box for those analog RGB capture cards / still displaying your gameplay on your CRT rather than watching the video capture on your computer (because when I initially reached out to John, I mentioned sync splitters/separators being a potential option, I know a heck-load of people use Sync Strikes and whatnot for USB3HDCAPs Datapaths etc) -

"The Ti chips seems to work best with the bandwidth limiter in, but that limiter would interfere with HD component. It’s also fixed gain, and that would make some uses we had with the op-amps impossible. Technically it is an op-amp too but pre-configured. They also have some additional parts added to the devices, which helps it work from a single supply, but what I didn’t say is that they would defeat some of the jobs we have for the regular op-amps. A good proportion of the Active SCART Splitter is getting two nice clean voltage lines to power the op-amps. That’s why we needed the +12V external supply because we’re inverting part of it, and that then becomes the required -5V to compliment the +5V we use.

The other part of amplifier design is that it’s very easy to create oscillators by accident. If there’s feedback to the input you risk getting that oscillating loop. As you go up in frequency the parasitics on the board have more and more of an influence, making it more risky to design with a device with exceptionally high bandwidth, hence why the Ti chip has the ability to limit to 15MHz. Unlimited it can do 150MHz, but that could create problems. The first prototype of the RGB to Component converter had an oscillator problem that needed fixed, even though the layout was good. Second prototype had no such issues, it was as quiet as you could get. This highlights how careful you have to be with any amplifier in a design."

This is in John's words in regards to questions on John's choice on using 'op-amps' rather than an 'all-in-one chip from TI' (not sure which that is, is that one of the THS's? I know there's the LM1881 but that's for sync stuff, not amp stuff). Lots of this stuff is beyond me, heh! I'm hyped there is a simple dual output SCART box readily available again for those who don't need a full-on switch or matrix, and John could accommodate the sync stuff needed for capture cards. I really just had primarily, like, analog RGB video capture / Twitch streaming in mind when dreaming this up and reaching out. And with a device that'll keep it in the original resolution! :P

Are those Datapath cards a lot more lax than the Startech USB3HDCAP when it comes to 240p RE: having the proper drivers for the card? And also, anyone here know of some male SCART to male DE-15 (or, hell, male SCART to male DVI-I O_O; if you wanted to cut the Startech's DE-15 to DVI-I dongle out of the mix) cables out there that are reliable and well-shielded? I don't mind this dongle mashup I have, myself... the Optoma thing is built like a tank, I think it's epoxy!

Anyhoo, hope anyone else from here who's picked one up so far has enjoyed theirs, would like to hear your thoughts! It's really so kickass that I could reach out to this AV company that's been around for ages and the head honcho entertained me idea and decided to make a run! Real cool stuff. I originally heard about 'em from older early 2000s posts on AVSforum / AVforums / what-have-you, and the good things people had to say def were on-base heh.

Here's a pic of the PCB, for those who are savvy and interested! :D
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

I think these went down in price? Just looked at the link and it says the normal one is £37.50 and the one with a sync separator is £43.33. I could just be forgetful, it's been a while. Anyone tried that Taxon switch with dual output / the new Tim Worthington one (if that's even out yet!)?
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Mine just stopped working all of a sudden as I was moving things around. My rig works fine without it, I put the SCART outputter inline and I get no output. Anybody else have this happen? I've sent an email to js-technology, waiting to hear back. Wonder what could cause this.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

ldeveraux wrote:Mine just stopped working all of a sudden as I was moving things around. My rig works fine without it, I put the SCART outputter inline and I get no output. Anybody else have this happen? I've sent an email to js-technology, waiting to hear back. Wonder what could cause this.
John is quick to respond, should hear back soon. What kinda cable is your source signal? There's those adjustable jumpers inside of the boxes (or at least on the sync separator version), perhaps one could have come loose when you were moving things around. Also - do you know if it was TTL-level sync in the most recent cable you plugged in?
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

kitty666cats wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:Mine just stopped working all of a sudden as I was moving things around. My rig works fine without it, I put the SCART outputter inline and I get no output. Anybody else have this happen? I've sent an email to js-technology, waiting to hear back. Wonder what could cause this.
John is quick to respond, should hear back soon. What kinda cable is your source signal? There's those adjustable jumpers inside of the boxes (or at least on the sync separator version), perhaps one could have come loose when you were moving things around. Also - do you know if it was TTL-level sync in the most recent cable you plugged in?
I did hear back from John, we're discussing now. I wasn't sure how responsive he'd be, so I figured I'd also post here and see who responded first! I know nothing of sync methods, I just know the M-M SCART cable to and from the ASB are from RGC and they both work independent of the ASB. My system is admittedly very convoluted (console - SCART - Component - HDMI - many switchers) so I'm surprised it took this long to go awry. If I remove the ASB it works fine, or same thing if I remove a Bandridge SCART switch. I literally just tried the system again with both items and it worked fine. Then I shut the system down and restarted, not working again. I honestly don't know. Not a big deal yet, as I only have the one SCART inputting device (OSSC), I got this as insurance if I ended up getting a SCART capable PVM.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

I messed around some more and John confirmed I had the correct power supply. Everything appears working now, not sure what was wrong. I guess moving electronics around can cause issues. Who knew? :wink:
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

https://www.js-technology.com/store/ind ... er=product

It appears that there was enough demand to warrant a continued production run, don’t believe it’s going to be a permanent offering but it’s sticking around for now!

There’s been a slight update to the design - John asked my opinion (as well as a few colleagues) and this new 3D printed enclosure mentioned in the quote below is going to be a matte black finish, over the other option which was a glossy black. Here’s the info:

“ Now 3D Printed Enclosure! To keep this in production for longer we're 3D printing the enclosures. The size is now a little bit more compact as we've custom fitted to the electronics inside. New photos to follow. The electronics are unchanged “

More compact now, the initial run had a decent amount of empty vertical space within the enclosure. O.G. run was roughly 2-3 inches tall, I’d assume these ones will be more like an inch and a half. Don’t quote me on that, though!
ghostofthesun

Post by ghostofthesun »

Hello, bumping this post since I'm thinking about ordering one of these. Has anyone tried using this for dual output using Direct Video from the MiSTer?
airainchoc

Post by airainchoc »

Hello, there.

A little late to the party, but I own this great little device.

I may need your help, I have the model without sync stripper, and I'd like to add it now (gbs-c not really liking all of my consoles)

I figured out a good part of the missing components, but not all.

Can one of you please send me an high quality pic of the populated board (even just the sync part, from r22 to c32), MP preferred since I don't want to share "closed source" informations

Thanks
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

airainchoc wrote:Hello, there.

A little late to the party, but I own this great little device.

I may need your help, I have the model without sync stripper, and I'd like to add it now (gbs-c not really liking all of my consoles)

I figured out a good part of the missing components, but not all.

Can one of you please send me an high quality pic of the populated board (even just the sync part, from r22 to c32), MP preferred since I don't want to share "closed source" informations

Thanks
I’d try shooting an email to John at J.S. Tech, I’m sure he’d be happy to help - he’s very responsive and would likely have no issue with trying to help you get this project taken care of
airainchoc

Post by airainchoc »

Well I already tried, but (and it's understandable), they're not willing to share parts list and diagrams, that's why I'm just asking for a picture :)
Shimmyhill

Post by Shimmyhill »

Another bump for some brain picking…

I have been using one of these for a while, the v3 in the 3d printed case and its been perfect - consoles into a scart switcher into this then out to my crt & OSSC but I have come across my first issue with it and given the knowledgable posts on here about it h=thought someone may have an answer!

One of the consoles I have hooked up is a PS One, recently I picked up a Guncom for some light gun fun but I have an issue if the Buffer is in the loop - basically it seems to affect the light guns ability to ‘see’ the whole screen so the top and bottom third are unusable to the Guncon :(

If the console is direct to the CRT it’s fine, im using an RGB scart cable of dubious origin and the official namco Guncon splitter to injunction the composite from the light gun into the scart lead.

Any ideas on what is preventing it from working properly with the buffer in the mix?
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

This device doesn't also have a switch to eventually get only one or the other output working instead of both at once, right?

Was it clarified if the signal gets buffered, anyway?
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

I’d say just contact support on the website. John has been quite sick lately so try to be patient if you don’t get an immediate response.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

I will, thks. I should check if there's currently a good SCART manager with two outputs and a switch for non-simultaneous usage, though. Likely that's less expensive and it's really the purpose I'm most interested in. I'm totally out of the loop with SCART managers lately.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Bassa-Bassa wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:35 am I will, thks. I should check if there's currently a good SCART manager with two outputs and a switch for non-simultaneous usage, though. Likely that's less expensive and it's really the purpose I'm most interested in. I'm totally out of the loop with SCART managers lately.
https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale- ... witch.html

Could look around here, however I doubt anything here has an option for disabling all but one of the SCART inputs when needed.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Yeah, my intent is switching between the outputs, to get picture on one display or the other. Found this which claims to output "at the same time" but I guess it hardly has an amplifier to properly do that, so somehow you'll be able to switch between the ouputs? It's not cheaper anyway and who knows how's it quality-wise...:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004454981242.html
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

One of the Shinybow SCART matrix switches might do what you need