What does it sound like when a Seibu HB-45A goes bad?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Yakkers

What does it sound like when a Seibu HB-45A goes bad?

Post by Yakkers »

I recently got a cheap secondhand Raiden II JAMMA board, and have been having a whole slew of audio issues creep in the longer the board is running. As per someone's tip on here earlier, I replaced the two OKI6295 ICs on the board and that seemed to fix half of the problem (audio drone and whining creeping in over time) but the other problem (squeaking noises on the music, particularly the percussion) is still coming in after about 15 minutes or so of play.

The only other audio-related component I know of that's prone to failure is the infamous HB-45A audio mixer IC and I see there are reproductions available but they're a little pricey so I'd really want to know if it's this before throwing the money down. So, does anyone have experience with the Seibu HB-45A IC and know what it sounds like when it needs to be replaced? Even with all the info about the reproduction I couldn't find anyone talking about about what happens when it fails.

I also had one person suggest that maybe I have my cabinet PSU's voltage set a little too high, is that possible? I don't have a multimeter so I can't check it, but if that could be related it's something I'm willing to pick up.
neSneSgB

Re: What does it sound like when a Seibu HB-45A goes bad?

Post by neSneSgB »

Yakkers wrote:I recently got a cheap secondhand Raiden II JAMMA board, and have been having a whole slew of audio issues creep in the longer the board is running. As per someone's tip on here earlier, I replaced the two OKI6295 ICs on the board and that seemed to fix half of the problem (audio drone and whining creeping in over time) but the other problem (squeaking noises on the music, particularly the percussion) is still coming in after about 15 minutes or so of play.

The only other audio-related component I know of that's prone to failure is the infamous HB-45A audio mixer IC and I see there are reproductions available but they're a little pricey so I'd really want to know if it's this before throwing the money down. So, does anyone have experience with the Seibu HB-45A IC and know what it sounds like when it needs to be replaced? Even with all the info about the reproduction I couldn't find anyone talking about about what happens when it fails.

I also had one person suggest that maybe I have my cabinet PSU's voltage set a little too high, is that possible? I don't have a multimeter so I can't check it, but if that could be related it's something I'm willing to pick up.
If you still have squeaking on the percussion and/or explosions, then it's possible one of the 6295s you installed is bad. I had to buy a few spares to make sure I had extras if I ran into any bad ones.

What you could do is get some electronic freeze spray, wait until the squeaking starts, then spray both the 6295s seperately and see if it stops to determine which one is bad.

I suppose if that doesn't help, then it could be another component, but I think that's unlikely since the 6295s' job is percussion and explosions, and also your squeaking starts after they heat up, like mine did.

It'd be good to finetune your PSU voltage with a multimeter, but that won't stop the squealing. I wouldn't be surprised if higher voltage over 25 years caused the 6295s to wear out faster, but who knows.
Yakkers

Post by Yakkers »

neSneSgB wrote:If you still have squeaking on the percussion and/or explosions, then it's possible one of the 6295s you installed is bad. I had to buy a few spares to make sure I had extras if I ran into any bad ones.

What you could do is get some electronic freeze spray, wait until the squeaking starts, then spray both the 6295s seperately and see if it stops to determine which one is bad.

I suppose if that doesn't help, then it could be another component, but I think that's unlikely since the 6295s' job is percussion and explosions, and also your squeaking starts after they heat up, like mine did.

It'd be good to finetune your PSU voltage with a multimeter, but that won't stop the squealing. I wouldn't be surprised if higher voltage over 25 years caused the 6295s to wear out faster, but who knows.
Sorry for necrobumping, but I'm running my Raiden II board again and have started looking into the issue again.

Did you experience the same kinds of sounds with any new but bad 6295s you picked up? I did try freeze spraying them but nothing changed. I'm really not sure what else it could be though, since the sound I'm getting is exactly the same as your video from the other thread and it would make sense if these ICs are in charge of percussion. Are there only the two on the board?
nam9

Post by nam9 »

Mind if I jump on here and ask the same question?
I have a Raiden 2 DX board with issues..
Now I believe the initial attract mode video is silent?
With my board there is this ‘wind through a microphone’ sound that is persistent from the start.
That vanishes on the select stage screen, but returns as soon as game play starts…
HB-45A? Caps? Opamps? Something else?