Need a custom made 3D printed tray (3DO related mod)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Rock Man

Need a custom made 3D printed tray (3DO related mod)

Post by Rock Man »

So I just picked up Daniel Kunz Panasonic 3DO RGB mod, had my metal working friend solder it in and it works like a dream.

Now I'm trying to install the 3DO MNEMO mod which is a like an Everdrive but replaces your optical drive! Anyway I picked up the version that plugs the flash drive into the front. At first I was going to ask if I should use a box cutter or something else to cut the front of the disc tray where the USB goes but after thinking about it I'd like to preserve the tray.

So instead my question is this, who makes custom printed trays? I'd like to get an exact replica of the 3DO's CD tray with the hole cut out in front. Another option is if someone can point me some where that sells 3DO parts maybe I can find a tray with such a place?
Syntax

Re: Need a custom made 3D printed tray (3DO related mod)

Post by Syntax »

Why bother fitting it externally when the entire library fits neatly on a 256gb thumb drive?
Gara

Post by Gara »

I could have sworn I've seen the faceplate 3d printed, but I can't find any mention of it in a basic search.

If you want to preserve the look then I'd ditch the front mounting and just install it like normal. The faceplate hangs loose this way, but some double sided tape will fix it in place. The whole point of the front mount is easy access to the USB, but who the heck ever needs to access it. Use a small USB extension cable and you'll still have easy access.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

Syntax wrote:Why bother fitting it externally when the entire library fits neatly on a 256gb thumb drive?
Homebrew and hacks.

Any new content I wish to place on the 3DO drive I wish to do so without popping the whole console open every time. With the external one I can just pop out the usb from the outside, load it with new content then pop it back in! Maximum convenience.
Gara wrote:I could have sworn I've seen the faceplate 3d printed, but I can't find any mention of it in a basic search.

If you want to preserve the look then I'd ditch the front mounting and just install it like normal. The faceplate hangs loose this way, but some double sided tape will fix it in place. The whole point of the front mount is easy access to the USB, but who the heck ever needs to access it. Use a small USB extension cable and you'll still have easy access.
Too bad you can't recall the source of that 3D printed faceplate.

I will still proceed with the mod with or without the plate and just use the yellow thing instead to display the front. (the mod came with a flimsy yellow faceplate that looks like shit. It doesn't even cover the entire front like the original faceplate does but I suppose it's something!) Just it would be real nice to get that faceplate!
Last edited by Rock Man on Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

My face plate sits on with blutak so i can access the USB stick and add homebrew if needed. You cant see the blutak at all.

Just a suggestion :)
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

Syntax wrote:My face plate sits on with blutak so i can access the USB stick and add homebrew if needed. You cant see the blutak at all.

Just a suggestion :)
A good one at that. Especially assuming I can get a 3D printed or custom faceplate. Hell I wouldn't even mind using a secondary original one so long as I get to preserve mine.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

I feel that a 3D printed one may look out of place, you get the print lines showing and its probably a hard one to color match.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

Syntax wrote:I feel that a 3D printed one may look out of place, you get the print lines showing and its probably a hard one to color match.
I wouldn't mind if the colors are off. I thought about making the 3D printed tray white anyway. Have a black & white theme. I got white replacement bumper buttons for my black Xbox One controller anyway so this is another example of that.

The print lines showing maybe a small price to pay when the alternative looks like this:

Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Maybe fit a USB extension to the back of the unit hidden from view?
Gara

Post by Gara »

I finally remembered where I saw it. Twitter!

https://twitter.com/Gewal/status/120496 ... 05730?s=19

https://twitter.com/Gewal/status/120707 ... 92834?s=19

I'm not seeing an updated tweet. I'm guessing he is still working on it. Go ask him, maybe it's ready.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

That looks horrible lol
Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst »

Having the piece printed through laser sintered nylon powder via Shapeways would achieve a similar grainy/grit texture for the panel, the Panasonic logo could then be sanded flat and painted.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

Gara wrote:I finally remembered where I saw it. Twitter!

https://twitter.com/Gewal/status/120496 ... 05730?s=19

https://twitter.com/Gewal/status/120707 ... 92834?s=19

I'm not seeing an updated tweet. I'm guessing he is still working on it. Go ask him, maybe it's ready.
Well my prayers are answered. I'll just wait for him. Thanks for those links!
Syntax wrote:That looks horrible lol
Really? Better than the ugly pissy yellow thing you get stuck with without it! Regardless this 3D printed tray is a WIP, I'll just contact the guy and wait until he's finished. Worst case scenario I'll go with the extremely shitty yellowing thing.
Bratwurst wrote:Having the piece printed through laser sintered nylon powder via Shapeways would achieve a similar grainy/grit texture for the panel, the Panasonic logo could then be sanded flat and painted.
Know of any one/company that does this?
Bratwurst

Post by Bratwurst »

Rock Man wrote:Know of any one/company that does this?
Bratwurst wrote:Having the piece printed through laser sintered nylon powder via Shapeways
I recommend 'White Natural Versatile Plastic' it will be the cheapest and have the gritty/grainy texture you'd be looking for. You'll have to colormatch the paint, or you can get it dyed black though it might stick out against the rest of the system.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

Bratwurst wrote:
Rock Man wrote:Know of any one/company that does this?
Bratwurst wrote:Having the piece printed through laser sintered nylon powder via Shapeways
I recommend 'White Natural Versatile Plastic' it will be the cheapest and have the gritty/grainy texture you'd be looking for. You'll have to colormatch the paint, or you can get it dyed black though it might stick out against the rest of the system.
Thanks!

I've decided I'm gonna just wait for Gewargi since he updated his twitter 14 hours ago confirming he's finished the project and waiting for his mod to test it on.