shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:18 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: OSSC Pro
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:56 pm 

Overreliance on china for everything is a real problem, but it's also faaaaaaarr beyond the scope of hobby projects like OSSC.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:28 pm 

Talking about China. anyone remember Chris Moon, the creator of the DreamPSU and the SaturnPSU and how China screwed him over completely?

https://web.archive.org/web/20190403064 ... tore/blog/

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/satu ... r-supply#/

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/drea ... ol-again#/

Unfortunately the waybackmachine doesn't have the newer blog updates saved and the retropsu website is no more, but I remember that things got much worse for him in newer blog posts, basically China just took the money and never sent anything.

Last edited by Lawfer on Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:36 pm 

fernan1234 wrote:
^Don't drink the Kool-Aid, kids.

Truth scares you.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:39 pm 

fernan1234 wrote:
vol.2 wrote:
All of the PCB assembly services I've used through work (and we get boards made multiple times a year) send boards to China for any hand work. Many of the components are made in China. It's practically impossible to avoid China in the electronics industry at this point.

B-but Chinaman bad!

This is actually just like the demonization of Japan and anything Japanese in the 1970s. And it has happened countless times before, whenever the political and economic interests of the West/self feel threatened by an "oriental" other.

But yeah focusing on the practical matters only, even if you believe all of this stuff you're SOL.

Everyone knows about the Uighur concentration camps in xinjiang (Turkestan). Quit trying to play the race card, and you're making 100% false comparisons with WWII imperial Japan and modern day communist china. If a threat to western economic interests is enough motivation for people to quit dealing with the repressive and genocidal Covidinese government, then that's just fine with me. I'll pay Marqs extra any day of the week for "Made in " almost any country other than china. He could use Taiwan like Micomsoft did. I'm sure others on here would pay a little more for that as well. I'm not alone.

Last edited by XSync-1 on Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:41 pm 

vol.2 wrote:
All of the PCB assembly services I've used through work (and we get boards made multiple times a year) send boards to China for any hand work. Many of the components are made in China. It's practically impossible to avoid China in the electronics industry at this point.

That is awful to hear. Let's start now with the OSSC Pro.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:16 pm 

XSync-1 wrote:
Covidinese

get out

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:40 pm 

XSync-1 wrote:

"Let us start"?

What's your contribution to this endeavor going to be?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:43 pm 

ZellSF wrote:
XSync-1 wrote:

"Let us start"?

What's your contribution to this endeavor going to be?

I'll pay extra for a device not made in china. What's yours going to be?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:49 pm 

That really isn't contributing anything.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:55 pm 

ZellSF wrote:

What? It's called boycotting. It has a major impact when done on a large enough scale. You know very little, if you don't think boycotting contributes anything.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:32 pm 

XSync-1 wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

What? It's called boycotting. It has a major impact when done on a large enough scale. You know very little, if you don't think boycotting contributes anything.

Ima keep it real with you chief. I always prioritize self interest above trying to change the world. Most rational men do

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:35 pm 

SavagePencil wrote:
XSync-1 wrote:
Covidinese

get out

He's got a point. It is extremely likely the virus escaped from the wuhan lab and they are flexing their global influence to obfuscate this fact

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:15 am 

maxtherabbit wrote:
XSync-1 wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

Ima keep it real with you chief. I always prioritize self interest above trying to change the world. Most rational men do

Fine, but I and I'm sure many others on here would rather Marqs have this device made in a country that isn't china. I would pay a more to avoid helping their regime, and plus, their work has never been that good anyway. Since when were they ever known for making quality products?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:50 am 

XSync-1 wrote:
Fine, but I and I'm sure many others on here would rather Marqs have this device made in a country that isn't china. I would pay a more to avoid helping their regime, and plus, their work has never been that good anyway. Since when were they ever known for making quality products?

Without getting into crazy boomer conspiracy theory stuff, just realize that for the rest of your life the global center of manufacturing is not going to change, so unless you want to be really miserable for the rest of your life, the sooner you start getting used to almost everything around you being "made in China" or having a part "made in China" inside of it, the better.

P.S.: Taiwan is China :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:58 am 

fernan1234 wrote:

P.S.: Taiwan is an independent country with a functional democracy.

Anyway, this is going off-topic.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:18 am 

fernan1234 wrote:
XSync-1 wrote:

Without getting into crazy boomer conspiracy theory stuff, just realize that for the rest of your life the global center of manufacturing is not going to change, so unless you want to be really miserable for the rest of your life, the sooner you start getting used to almost everything around you being "made in China" or having a part "made in China" inside of it, the better.

I am used to it, but now it's time for some change. If I was making a large number of these devices, I wouldn't use chinese slave labor to produce it. Taiwan is not china.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:19 am 

Extrems wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:

P.S.: Taiwan is an independent country with a functional democracy.

Anyway, this is going off-topic.

There's nothing wrong with me bringing up this discussion. This forum isn't just about the functionality of the OSSC Pro, some of us care about who's making it and where it's coming from.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:44 am 

XSync-1 wrote:
There's nothing wrong with me bringing up this discussion. This forum isn't just about the functionality of the OSSC Pro, some of us care about who's making it and where it's coming from.

Honestly I have no direct stake on this and that last bit was just to poke fun, but I do think it's worth keeping in mind that some of the anti-China rhetoric you've been posting here is an important part of what feeds into the attitudes and prejudices that are leading to Asian grandmas getting physically assaulted on the streets.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:21 am 

XSync-1 wrote:

Your appeal is justifiable, but your conduct dropped some bricks. Stirring up discontent this way should hardly surprise you. fernan above me has a point, for instance.

fernan1234 wrote:
that last bit was just to poke fun

It was lame, just like your post before that one.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:31 am 

Blacksheep wrote:
It was lame, just like your post before that one.

Obviously worked on the target audience :wink:

edit: too much off-topic stuff, makes me want to say something about the OSSC Pro.

This is something that I've been wondering for a while. I may be asking the wrong question or asking it wrongly, but how do video processors like the OSSC handle conversion from the Rec. 601 colors of the SD sources that we use to Rec. 709 of the FHD that they output and that most flat panels expect?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:00 am 

XSync-1 wrote:

Going for the double whammy of worst threads and worst posts on the hardware board I see. Honestly, you're way ahead of the pack, so feel free to stop posting at any time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:27 am 

fernan1234 wrote:
XSync-1 wrote:

Honestly I have no direct stake on this and that last bit was just to poke fun, but I do think it's worth keeping in mind that some of the anti-China rhetoric you've been posting here is an important part of what feeds into the attitudes and prejudices that are leading to Asian grandmas getting physically assaulted on the streets.

That is such a desperate and pathetic claim, just like the guy who tried to make a false comparison between imperial Japan and modern day communist china. You're bringing up something that has 0 to do with their repressive regime running concentration camps and using literal slave labor to make stuff at a discounted price for us here in the West. Very desperate. Better not criticize the CCP, otherwise it will lead "to Asian grandmas getting physically assaulted on the streets", please. How come that doesn't apply to any other group?

Last edited by XSync-1 on Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:30 am 

NormalFish wrote:
XSync-1 wrote:

Going for the double whammy of worst threads and worst posts on the hardware board I see. Honestly, you're way ahead of the pack, so feel free to stop posting at any time.

Good thing I'm not a pseudo-intellectual geek like yourself, otherwise your opinion would matter to me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:12 am 

Quote:
Last edited by XSync-1 on Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Yikes.

Are you done in this topic with all this, or are you gonna keep going much longer? Asking for a friend.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:15 am 

fernan1234 wrote:
Quote:

Yikes.

Are you done in this topic with all this, or are you gonna keep going much longer? Asking for a friend.

I want Marqs to consider using a different country to make his device. Nothing you or anyone else says matters to me whatsoever.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:18 am 

fernan1234 wrote:
Quote:

Yikes.

Don't think I'm fazed by you or that pseudo-intellectual who insulted me earlier. There's plenty of people on here who agree with me, but don't want to say anything.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:26 am 

marqs literally answered your kind suggestion already. Here it is again in case you missed it:

marqs wrote:
XSync-1 wrote:
@Marqs Why do you insist on having the OSSC Pro made in China? Why can't you use any other country to make the OSSC Pro? I would pay extra for a device that isn't made in China, and I'm sure many others on this site would as well. We all know what China's doing. Why do your customers have to contribute to the modern-day slave trade? At least Micomsoft used Taiwan to assemble their devices.
Where do you base your information on? We're actually considering an option of using both an EU and China manufacturer - at least initially - to balance risk and cost. It's not all sunshine with Western manufacturers either. Politics aside, I've seen a fair share of issues with them too, and the price difference (e.g. 3x for prototype PCB) is hard to justify unless the end result is significantly better.

Job done. We did it, Reddit!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:27 am 

fernan1234 wrote:
marqs literally answered your kind suggestion already. Here it is again in case you missed it:

marqs wrote:
XSync-1 wrote:
@Marqs Why do you insist on having the OSSC Pro made in China? Why can't you use any other country to make the OSSC Pro? I would pay extra for a device that isn't made in China, and I'm sure many others on this site would as well. We all know what China's doing. Why do your customers have to contribute to the modern-day slave trade? At least Micomsoft used Taiwan to assemble their devices.
Where do you base your information on? We're actually considering an option of using both an EU and China manufacturer - at least initially - to balance risk and cost. It's not all sunshine with Western manufacturers either. Politics aside, I've seen a fair share of issues with them too, and the price difference (e.g. 3x for prototype PCB) is hard to justify unless the end result is significantly better.

Job done. We did it, Reddit!

It's not a clear enough answer. What does Reddit have to do with any of this?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:29 am 

I'm not sure if hobby products like OSSC are a realistic target for this campaign, but it scares me that people are completely dismissing the concerns as invalid. If you don't know about what's happening in China you really owe it to yourself to look into it a bit more, especially what's happening with the Uighur people. I would certainly pay more for an "ethically manufactured" OSSC, but I don't think it would be fair to judge marqs for choosing to make it for a significantly cheaper cost - it is a problem endemic to society and currently almost impossible to avoid. The attitude "rational men take care of their own concerns before trying to save the world" is a huge part of that. People are living in a state of constant unimaginable fear and suffering to support our trivial hobbies and leisure activities.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:54 am 

XSync-1 wrote:
I want Marqs to consider using a different country to make his device. Nothing you or anyone else says matters to me whatsoever.

As it is open-source device, you are free to get it produced for you by any-who you want if Marqs choice will not suit you.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1369 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next