OSSC Pro

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
marqs

Re: OSSC Pro

Post by marqs »

VEGETA wrote:on another side, it looks to me that ossc pro will be very wide physical design. any official or estimated dimensions so far? the original one is very compact and I like it.
The board is 215mm wide and 100mm deep. Some people would have like scart on the back too which would've made it even wider, but for them there is an option to use a custom scart->de15 adapter/cable that doesn't require any active/passive components.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

It's now June, can you provide a road map for the OSSC Pro for the rest of the year?

Also, are you able to add a LPF to the VGA/D-15 connector? On the OSSC I have to use that for some arcade boards like the Taito F3 and there is no LPF on AV3. I also prefer to use D15 now instead of SCART for the connector, especially since on the Pro you moved the input to the back.

For my $.02, I wish you had skipped SCART and gone with min din 8 out the back...
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

SCART is dick cancer but mini DIN 8 is double butt cancer
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

XtraSmiley wrote:Also, are you able to add a LPF to the VGA/D-15 connector?
It's been confirmed since the beginning that the Pro will have LPF options for this connector as well so no worries.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

marqs wrote:
VEGETA wrote:on another side, it looks to me that ossc pro will be very wide physical design. any official or estimated dimensions so far? the original one is very compact and I like it.
The board is 215mm wide and 100mm deep. Some people would have like scart on the back too which would've made it even wider, but for them there is an option to use a custom scart->de15 adapter/cable that doesn't require any active/passive components.
it is very wide indeed, I assume you want custom injection molded enclosure? check a case from takachi or hammond or similar then base the design around it, then they will customize it for you. more that 10 times cheaper.

I do like scart in the design for sure, no need for conversion.

if you go with 6 RCA jacks + one s-video connector on one side, it will surely be long... let alone adding scart to it and vga.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

check a case from takachi or hammond or similar then base the design around it, then they will customize it for you. more that 10 times cheaper.
I just worked with Takachi. Injection molded cases are certainly cheaper per piece once the form has been paid and created. Really depends on the scope of the project and the total number of cases estimated. For small one time projects companies like Takachi are really great, but if you're doing multiple runs, possible thousands of units, then injection molding gets cheaper (per piece) pretty fast. For medium numbers (usually up to 5000 pcs) there are also aluminum forms that can be used and that only cost a fraction of a steel tool.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

Fudoh wrote:
check a case from takachi or hammond or similar then base the design around it, then they will customize it for you. more that 10 times cheaper.
I just worked with Takachi. Injection molded cases are certainly cheaper per piece once the form has been paid and created. Really depends on the scope of the project and the total number of cases estimated. For small one time projects companies like Takachi are really great, but if you're doing multiple runs, possible thousands of units, then injection molding gets cheaper (per piece) pretty fast. For medium numbers (usually up to 5000 pcs) there are also aluminum forms that can be used and that only cost a fraction of a steel tool.
Yes, injection molding is cheaper when you want many and many pieces like in the 1000s but I wonder what happens to your form mold after you finish one run? do they return it to you then you send it to them when you want another run 3 months later?

You still have to factor in silkscreening and stuff, but yes, most price is for the case itself.

I am interested in those aluminum forms and how much do they cost if they are going to be a lot cheaper... can you name a company who does them?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I wonder what happens to your form mold after you finish one run? do they return it to you then you send it to them when you want another run 3 months later?
they usually stay at the facility and are hold available for 3 years free of charge. After that you have to pay a storage fee (unless you do another run). A steel tool for a case like the one required for the OSSC pro is several hundred kg in weight, so shipping it back and forth is not really an option.
I am interested in those aluminum forms and how much do they cost if they are going to be a lot cheaper... can you name a company who does them?
there are so many companies doing this. Protolabs for example is a well known one.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

There is also the choice of bent steel/aluminum sheetmetal cases, those are probably cheaper to have custom made in small runs since they don't need a mold. Basically they just need to take sheets of metal, cut holes to your specifications with a CNC, then bend them to make a box of the desired size.
underage

Post by underage »

marqs wrote:OSSC Pro
hello, I have a few questions about the OSSC Pro's capabilities.

1. Have you considered wifi or bluetooth functionality, so that the OSSC Pro could be configured remotely through a web interface or app? Could such functionality be added with an expansion module?

2. Several questions relating to "Adaptive Line Multiplication" - I have a few CRTs that don't support standard VESA timings, and instead only various odd timings / refresh resolutions like 640x480 @ 153Hz, 1024x768 @ 99hz, etc. Could the basic functionality of ALM also be used without line multiplication, just for the purpose of matching up standard VESA timings on the input side to various obscure ones on the output side?

3. Technically naive follow-up question - Would it be possible to sync 1600x1000 70hz to a 1600x1200 65hz "window" by increasing the number of blanking signals? (the monitor in question does support up to 160hz vertical and 80khz horizontal refresh, so it would have the specs to do it, but it's not multisync, and a 1600x1000x70hz preset is not available)

4. Could ALM also be utilized in a more dynamic fashion, to achieve something akin to Adaptive Sync (GSync/FreeSync) on displays that don't natively support it?

5. Can I use the OSSC Pro to adapt LCD reduced timings to the standard used for CRTs (i.e. larger vertical total), in order to prevent overscan when outputting on a CRT?

6. Would it be possible to emulate green/amber monochrome screens with the OSSC Pro, so that color input can be output as monochrome shades instead?

7. Would 1440p @70Hz or 75Hz be doable with the Pro?

thx
NormanFoxLee

Post by NormanFoxLee »

Hello,

I am very interesting in OSSC Pro. Mostly due to the RetroTINK 5x Pro bug that makes it unusable for streaming. Just want to ask - will OSSC Pro work better than RetroTINK 5x pro?

I will describe the original problem first:

1. All my game consoles (does not matter which one - problem exists with any) connected via Component cable to CE Labs AV 400COMP.
2. This CE Labs splits the signal to:
a) RetroTink 5x Pro - 3 components + 2 audio
b) CRT monitor Sony PVM
c) Yamaha Mixer
3. Yamaha Mixer mix the sound from PC, CE Labs and my microphone (so I can hear PC notifications, game and my voice).

Before RetroTINK 5x Pro everything was awesome except I was not able to stream 480i resolution as my capture card could not handle it. So, after I added RetroTINK into the system it introduces high pitch noise right into my headphones. This happens is I connect even 1 of the 5 cables to it. For example, just green component cable. This noise is different based on the settings I choose in RetroTINK. The worst noise is with default settings, so I switch to overscan mode to make it less painful and I really don't like overscan as part of the game is not visible. Anyway the noise still here.

This noise is not hearable on the stream - only in my headphones or speakers. I have no idea how to get rid of it - I used different type of cables with the best shielding - no result. This noise presents only on PC and Microphone channels. If I turn them off - there will be no noise. just game sound. But I need my PC sounds and my voice as well. Microphone is AKG C214 connected via Scarlett 2i2, PC is connected via audio output of MSI motherboard - I don't think there could be anything better for them that will fix the problem.

So, is there a chance that OSSC Pro will also introduce this noise? Or will it work better with good shielding?

Thank you!
marqs

Post by marqs »

XtraSmiley wrote:It's now June, can you provide a road map for the OSSC Pro for the rest of the year?
PCB is final and we're closing remaining HW items (case, remote, psu etc.). In normal times we could quickly move on to production, but the component shortage makes that hard as price of some parts have multiplied and some are not available at all in reasonable quantities. Work on firmware continues nevertheless and we try to release a few showcases of existing features during the summer.
underage wrote:1. Have you considered wifi or bluetooth functionality, so that the OSSC Pro could be configured remotely through a web interface or app? Could such functionality be added with an expansion module?
Could be done via expansion, but it's not high priority at the moment.
underage wrote:2. Several questions relating to "Adaptive Line Multiplication" - I have a few CRTs that don't support standard VESA timings, and instead only various odd timings / refresh resolutions like 640x480 @ 153Hz, 1024x768 @ 99hz, etc. Could the basic functionality of ALM also be used without line multiplication, just for the purpose of matching up standard VESA timings on the input side to various obscure ones on the output side?
3. Technically naive follow-up question - Would it be possible to sync 1600x1000 70hz to a 1600x1200 65hz "window" by increasing the number of blanking signals? (the monitor in question does support up to 160hz vertical and 80khz horizontal refresh, so it would have the specs to do it, but it's not multisync, and a 1600x1000x70hz preset is not available)
5. Can I use the OSSC Pro to adapt LCD reduced timings to the standard used for CRTs (i.e. larger vertical total), in order to prevent overscan when outputting on a CRT?
By definition line multiplication is framelocked, so it's not for refresh rate conversion. You could still do these things on scaler mode and use nearest neighbor algorithm if you want the result to look line multiplication.
underage wrote:4. Could ALM also be utilized in a more dynamic fashion, to achieve something akin to Adaptive Sync (GSync/FreeSync) on displays that don't natively support it?
I don't know any non-VRR displays which can work with significantly varying blanking time.
underage wrote:6. Would it be possible to emulate green/amber monochrome screens with the OSSC Pro, so that color input can be output as monochrome shades instead?
Should be possible.
underage wrote:7. Would 1440p @70Hz or 75Hz be doable with the Pro?
I assume you mean 2560x1440 and not 1920x1440? The latter should work with both but the former is unlikely to run over 70Hz.
NormanFoxLee

Post by NormanFoxLee »

Hello again,

My previous post was not approved yet but I found the solution to my problem already. Mike Chi suggested me to change the usb power supply. Before I tried only my PC and the phone charger. But this time I used the usb port on my UPS (CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD). And this noise just gone)
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

marqs wrote:PCB is final and we're closing remaining HW items (case, remote, psu etc.).
Just a kind reminder (with some major, and selfish, 'wishful thinking' on my part) which I hope isn't too annoying as I've mentioned this like 40+ pages back in this topic too... but MANY of us posted about wanting/liking/requesting a proper case design, and that it basically boiled down to having a type that once everything is plugged into the OSSC Pro (possible future expansion boards and all), that this beautiful, custom-designed, genius, digital masterpiece scaler will NOT look like a cheap DIY science project gone awry with cables sticking out from every orifice. Also that it be heavy enough for the cables to not lift it up in the air was another common theme FYI.

I just have to regurgitate that many people do not want to place a ~$500 scaler in their beautiful living rooms / office / den / gameroom and have it look out of place. The RetroTink 5X-Pro just majorly FAILED with this, by placing the SCART port so it can ONLY be hooked up from the front (the port is on the side and angles toward the front)... I get why they did this, so sorry to be harsh, but once you have everything hooked up, even though it has a nice plastic case it's still going to look like a cheap DIY project with wires sticking out all willy-nilly, and definitely not a "pro" unit in all aspects of its design. When paying the big bucks for a scaler I think most of us expect the same level of refinement that we've put into our own living areas, and the products that live there.

Here's my little slice of heaven. Not to show off my crap (of which there's WAY too much hooked up in this little Ikea entertainment unit), but simply to show you that EVERY SINGLE ELECTRONIC DEVICE has ALL the wires going off the back of it. There's not a wire in sight (well, from the front at least ;). Flatscreen TV ripe for upscaling, CRT/VHS player, AVR/Receiver, 3x speakers, Nt mini Noir, Super Nt, Switch, Xbox One X, RP4, Mac Mini, Mega Sg, Xbox 360, PS4 (this is the cube where I commonly pull out the PS4 and put in whatever retro system I'm playing at the time w/ the OSSC next to it). Every. Single. One. has something in common: wires ALL go out the back which makes everything nice and tidy.

If we flip over to those retro gamers who have pure retro setups, i.e. your KEY DEMOGRAPHIC, i.e. the EXACT people who are willing to drop ~$500 on a scaler, are commonly the type with those Ikea cube shelves setup (you know who you are lol) with at least a 4x4+ grid of 16+ consoles, all backlit with pretty LED's, pristine in every way, who are also going to DETEST a wire-spider-monster scaler with wires sticking out every which way (and every side) of it... I mean, let's be honest, who else in their right mind is going to spend $500 on a scaler? It's EXACTLY this type of person (like me, like us!). (picture borrowed from internet)

PLEASE make your "pro" level product truly be professional with a nice and tidy professional case. This isn't rocket science. Just look around your house at nearly every other consumer electronics product. From your TV to your toaster, they're ALL setup like I describe with the wires ALL running off the back... I just don't understand why this niche area of devices (scalers for retro systems, mister, etc.) thought it was OK to have ports on like 3+ sides of the device. It makes no sense to me and I'm hoping the designers of the OSSC Pro are going to turn the market around with their overall physical design, as well as the genius magic they're putting into the internals and programming of the device.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

PLEASE make your "pro" level product truly be professional with a nice and tidy professional case.
I guess based on what's written here, this device will easily be +500$ retail price. Stuff like professional case and packaging...etc will surely add not-so-little cost.

Looks like next gen scalers\line-multipliers are pricey, which is probably the new "ok price" xD. I find it very good that the 5x is just 300$. more features = more expensive which is reasonable.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Dochartaigh wrote:
marqs wrote:PCB is final and we're closing remaining HW items (case, remote, psu etc.).
Just a kind reminder (with some major, and selfish, 'wishful thinking' on my part) which I hope isn't too annoying as I've mentioned this like 40+ pages back in this topic too... but MANY of us posted about wanting/liking/requesting a proper case design, and that it basically boiled down to having a type that once everything is plugged into the OSSC Pro (possible future expansion boards and all), that this beautiful, custom-designed, genius, digital masterpiece scaler will NOT look like a cheap DIY science project gone awry with cables sticking out from every orifice. Also that it be heavy enough for the cables to not lift it up in the air was another common theme FYI.

I just have to regurgitate that many people do not want to place a ~$500 scaler in their beautiful living rooms / office / den / gameroom and have it look out of place. The RetroTink 5X-Pro just majorly FAILED with this, by placing the SCART port so it can ONLY be hooked up from the front (the port is on the side and angles toward the front)... I get why they did this, so sorry to be harsh, but once you have everything hooked up, even though it has a nice plastic case it's still going to look like a cheap DIY project with wires sticking out all willy-nilly, and definitely not a "pro" unit in all aspects of its design. When paying the big bucks for a scaler I think most of us expect the same level of refinement that we've put into our own living areas, and the products that live there.

Here's my little slice of heaven. Not to show off my crap (of which there's WAY too much hooked up in this little Ikea entertainment unit), but simply to show you that EVERY SINGLE ELECTRONIC DEVICE has ALL the wires going off the back of it. There's not a wire in sight (well, from the front at least ;). Flatscreen TV ripe for upscaling, CRT/VHS player, AVR/Receiver, 3x speakers, Nt mini Noir, Super Nt, Switch, Xbox One X, RP4, Mac Mini, Mega Sg, Xbox 360, PS4 (this is the cube where I commonly pull out the PS4 and put in whatever retro system I'm playing at the time w/ the OSSC next to it). Every. Single. One. has something in common: wires ALL go out the back which makes everything nice and tidy.

If we flip over to those retro gamers who have pure retro setups, i.e. your KEY DEMOGRAPHIC, i.e. the EXACT people who are willing to drop ~$500 on a scaler, are commonly the type with those Ikea cube shelves setup (you know who you are lol) with at least a 4x4+ grid of 16+ consoles, all backlit with pretty LED's, pristine in every way, who are also going to DETEST a wire-spider-monster scaler with wires sticking out every which way (and every side) of it... I mean, let's be honest, who else in their right mind is going to spend $500 on a scaler? It's EXACTLY this type of person (like me, like us!). (picture borrowed from internet)

PLEASE make your "pro" level product truly be professional with a nice and tidy professional case. This isn't rocket science. Just look around your house at nearly every other consumer electronics product. From your TV to your toaster, they're ALL setup like I describe with the wires ALL running off the back... I just don't understand why this niche area of devices (scalers for retro systems, mister, etc.) thought it was OK to have ports on like 3+ sides of the device. It makes no sense to me and I'm hoping the designers of the OSSC Pro are going to turn the market around with their overall physical design, as well as the genius magic they're putting into the internals and programming of the device.
I can't say whether I'm in the key demo or not, but I have 8 consoles going through an extron into an original OSSC and I don't give a fuck about IKEA furniture, backlighting or hiding wires.

Having a metal case would be worth something to me though for physical ruggedness.

To each his own.
energizerfellow‌

Post by energizerfellow‌ »

Dochartaigh wrote:... I hope isn't too annoying ...
https://www.reddit.com/r/TVTooHigh/
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

@Dochartaigh Here's the thing, you think your "little slice of heaven" looks great, other might think it's gaudy/showy/braggadocios. In the end, if you want a pretty case as a means to hide cables that exude from strange places, then go get yourself a case. I care 100% about performance and couldn't care less how it looks when it's behind my opaque cabinet door.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Also if you really make it a point to make your setup as clean and nice-looking as possible, even on the back side, you should be avoiding SCART anyway and use something else for RGB. But in any case, the OSSC Pro will have a DE-15 port (a.k.a. "VGA" port) that will accept RGBS/RGsB, and will be located on the back, so at least you can just get a SCART to DE-15 cable and use that to go into your OSSC Pro, avoiding the SCART port on the side (which marqs has said clearly that will not change due to the board design being finalized).
Dr. Claw

Post by Dr. Claw »

fernan1234 wrote:Also if you really make it a point to make your setup as clean and nice-looking as possible, even on the back side, you should be avoiding SCART anyway and use something else for RGB. But in any case, the OSSC Pro will have a DE-15 port (a.k.a. "VGA" port) that will accept RGBS/RGsB, and will be located on the back, so at least you can just get a SCART to DE-15 cable and use that to go into your OSSC Pro, avoiding the SCART port on the side (which marqs has said clearly that will not change due to the board design being finalized).
Right, there are ways around that SCART cable issue.
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

Personally, I like the look of some nice uniform SCART heads and seeing a clean switcher with my gear. That said, I'm pretty anal about a nice looking setup, but I just picked up a flat SCART cable for my 5X and couldn't be happier. I don't run cubed enclosures or anything, but it's tidy and all wires are bundled and out of sight behind their respective consoles. Yeah, a wire runs out of the side of the 5X. I wouldn't exactly say it makes anything look cheap, junky or disorganized.

Dr. Claw

Post by Dr. Claw »

TooBeaucoup wrote:Personally, I like the look of some nice uniform SCART heads and seeing a clean switcher with my gear. That said, I'm pretty anal about a nice looking setup, but I just picked up a flat SCART cable for my 5X and couldn't be happier. I don't run cubed enclosures or anything, but it's tidy and all wires are bundled and out of sight behind their respective consoles. Yeah, a wire runs out of the side of the 5X. I wouldn't exactly say it makes anything look cheap, junky or disorganized.

That's the Shinybow 4x2?
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Dochartaigh wrote:
Just a kind reminder (with some major, and selfish, 'wishful thinking' on my part) which I hope isn't too annoying as I've mentioned this like 40+ pages back in this topic too... but MANY of us posted about wanting/liking/requesting a proper case design
In case you haven't noticed: marqs said that the PCB design is final. That means that the connector locations are final and the case design will reflect them no matter how many words you spend on your arguments.
I just have to regurgitate that many people do not want to place a ~$500 scaler in their beautiful living rooms / office / den / gameroom and have it look out of place.
You have a very neat-looking setup there that has some spaces hidden by cabinet doors. Why don't you put the OSSC Pro behind one of those? Unlike the consoles, you do not need to insert any media on a regular basis and any on-device display would be indecipherable at a reasonable viewing distance anyway while the device will likely provide a copy of it as OSD.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

There are ways to design the case, which I've already posted my quick ideas about earlier in this topic, where you CAN have everything hidden, even with the existing PCB layout (this is the last I saw in Feb., assume it's quasi-close to the final), AND even when people start plugging in add-on/optional boards on the sides that can still be tastefully designed for as well.

The problem isn't just that SCART port on the one side fyi (which is a moot point with DB15 on the back) - there are ports other than scart on BOTH the left AND right sides which are going to be used at some point for add-on cards and such, so even if you currently have everything plugged into the back (which is great it's designed to have as many ports on the back as possible - bravo!) if you use the OSSC Pro to its full extent you'll still have not only wires hanging off the sides, but add-on boards sticking out the side as well. Thought needs to be given to the full lifecycle of the device, and that at least starts with the base case design.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Dochartaigh wrote:There are ways to design the case, which I've already posted my quick ideas about earlier in this topic, where you CAN have everything hidden, even with the existing PCB layout (this is the last I saw in Feb., assume it's quasi-close to the final), AND even when people start plugging in add-on/optional boards on the sides that can still be tastefully designed for as well.

The problem isn't just that SCART port on the one side fyi (which is a moot point with DB15 on the back) - there are ports other than scart on BOTH the left AND right sides which are going to be used at some point for add-on cards and such, so even if you currently have everything plugged into the back (which is great it's designed to have as many ports on the back as possible - bravo!) if you use the OSSC Pro to its full extent you'll still have not only wires hanging off the sides, but add-on boards sticking out the side as well. Thought needs to be given to the full lifecycle of the device, and that at least starts with the base case design.
I get that you're frustrated, but this is a hobby project.

When you mentioned the price (earlier in the thread) it makes the OSSC Pro sound lucrative, but the amount of profit that will actually reach marqs (after expenses) will be very small.

We all gave our feedback and marqs politely listened. We can't ask for more than that.

Finally, it is open source and it's possible marqs would offer a little encouragement (and a few small hints) if another developer made a high end variant with an fancy case. :-) The life cycle of the machine is exciting because it's not a "closed" project. Anything can happen.
We apologise for the inconvenience
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

Dr. Claw wrote:That's the Shinybow 4x2?
Yeah, I'm mad at myself for not getting the 6x2. A couple years ago, I was certain 4 would be enough for my needs. :lol:
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

orange808 wrote: I get that you're frustrated, but this is a hobby project.
Not frustrated at all, just giving my two cents (or more like tree fiddy ;) since Marqs said they're still working on the case, and simply wanted to reiterate what myself and a bunch of other people have chimed in with over this ~50 page topic.
underage

Post by underage »

marqs wrote:
underage wrote:4. Could ALM also be utilized in a more dynamic fashion, to achieve something akin to Adaptive Sync (GSync/FreeSync) on displays that don't natively support it?
I don't know any non-VRR displays which can work with significantly varying blanking time.
Freesync can apparently be used with CRTs, using a Win10 software called Custom Resolution Utility, which tricks graphics drivers into accepting an arbitrary display as a Freesync capable one. I don't know how reliable it works, but some users claim to have had success with early multisync CRTs (and the author of the tool claims as much as well).
Of course vintage computers don't have Freesync capable graphics drivers or support for EDID overrides (at least not to my knowledge). I just wanted to know if an OSSC Pro could theoretically substitute for that, and achieve something similar to what graphics drivers & CRU do on modern computers.
But ignoring whether or not this works with CRTs, could the OSSC Pro adapt the signal of a retro console or computer for use with an actual VRR capable monitor?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I'd like to see a CRT that can seemlessly switch between input refresh rates like a Freesync LCD. I don't think that's possible based on the very nature of a CRT versus a sample and hold display.
Elrinth

Post by Elrinth »

I bought the shinybow 6x2. But sold it. Have an autoswitcher 16x1 4k, hdr, 4:4:4 which I am extremly satisfied with. Sometimes I need to shut it off as the audio just stops working. But it is very uncommon.

@Marqs:
Has the FPGA for the OSSC Pro been set in stone now? Which did you decide on and why? Is a release 2022 the year you are aiming for to have some sort of final build for?