shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:56 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1510 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: OSSC Pro
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 7:51 pm 

I'm surprised to see s-video dismissed as 'garbage', as that's not my experience.
Perhaps there are some consoles with poor s-video output. But thats like dismissing rgb bcause the o-xbox does it poorly.
It deserves its own thread.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 8:29 pm 

RocketBelt wrote:
I'm surprised to see s-video dismissed as 'garbage', as that's not my experience.
Perhaps there are some consoles with poor s-video output. But thats like dismissing rgb bcause the o-xbox does it poorly.
It deserves its own thread.

This guy gets it!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:49 pm 

marqs wrote:
ASDR wrote:
The original render of the PCB makes it look like any expansion would dangle precariously from the side of the device. That just seems like something waiting to be unplugged or snapped off. Would it be possible to relocate the expansion port to the back of the device and connect expansions over something flexible, IDE cable like? I'm just trying to imagine how this would end up working on the finished product.
I've thought about adding screw terminals on both sides of the connector which would provide a robust method for attaching expansion modules. They could be connected via a ribbon cable as well, but its length quickly starts to limit bandwidth of the expansion bus so that would work for low-performance peripherals only.
vol.2 wrote:
Would you be able to send "windowed" 480p at 540p timings to an HDCRT in order to maintain the native 33.75kHz scan rate?
Adaptive LM mode is already able to do such windowing, and scaler mode will eventually as well if more fancy processing is needed. BTW, what are the 540p timings - same as 1080i but without interlace?

Hi Marqs. I was wondering if your planning on bringing the 480p inside the 540 target to the existing OSSC and was wondering about updates in general to the OSSC..

Are we moving all updates to the future regardless of compatability to steer people to the new device or what’s your plan?

I was considering picking a free WEGA and was looking forward to the 540 target resolution feature.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:04 pm 

Adaptive mode requires a few lines to be buffered, since OSSC classic has no buffer at all it can't be done unfortunately.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:35 pm 

Hello,

nice work with this device, it keeps evolving!

I would like to ask if you got an HDCP license or not since it is fundamental to buying ICs with HDMI. And how much total cost? I am asking because I want to create my own scaler but HDMI stuff requires licensing, so I am trying to collect data from actual designers.

thanks again for your efforts, and my best wishes

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:18 pm 

The new prototypes have arrived and passed testing. With the minor upgrades 1080p@120Hz output can be now achieved, but that really pushes the board to its limits. At such rate FPGA temperature starts to rise and silicon subsequently gets slower which is challenging since there is not much timing margin at 1080p@120Hz. One of the 2 boards I have needs active cooling to run it stable so we're adding a fan header on the production PCB and fan mounting holes on the case. The people who really need these extreme modes may need to install a fan like NF-A4x10 5V PWM depending on silicon lottery, others satisfied with 2560x1440@60Hz, 1280x720@120Hz or below should not need one.

Aside from the fan connector PCB is final, but it will be challenging to get it into production during the component shortage we're experiencing now.

About s-video / cvbs support: that would be ideally implemented by doing PAL/NTSC decoding on FPGA, resulting to smallest amount of additional HW and limitations. I can provide a prototype board for a person who is familiar with the subject and would be willing to take lead on developing the feature.

VEGETA wrote:
I would like to ask if you got an HDCP license or not since it is fundamental to buying ICs with HDMI. And how much total cost? I am asking because I want to create my own scaler but HDMI stuff requires licensing, so I am trying to collect data from actual designers.

OSSC Pro doesn't support HDCP, it'd probably be impossible to get the license for such open HW that does output in unencrypted form. The chips we use are non-HDCP versions. For gaming it doesn't really matter aside from PS3.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:33 pm 

marqs wrote:
VEGETA wrote:

OSSC Pro doesn't support HDCP, it'd probably be impossible to get the license for such open HW that does output in unencrypted form. The chips we use are non-HDCP versions. For gaming it doesn't really matter aside from PS3.

So you didn't get HDCP license, but you still got HDMI license right? how much did it cost? I guess there doesn't exist any IC which supports 4k60 output to HDMI without HDCP.

I assume you got the low volume 5000$ per year license right?

I went for displayport in my design but the output IC doesn't support audio, so my only problem now is how to deliver audio in DP connector!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:52 pm 

VEGETA wrote:
marqs wrote:
VEGETA wrote:

So you didn't get HDCP license, but you still got HDMI license right? how much did it cost? I guess there doesn't exist any IC which supports 4k60 output to HDMI without HDCP.

I assume you got the low volume 5000$ per year license right?

I went for displayport in my design but the output IC doesn't support audio, so my only problem now is how to deliver audio in DP connector!

I don't think anyone wants financials discussed in a public forum...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:30 pm 

it is not about financial stuff only, but rather design choices. I need to know what fellow engineers went through to create their devices... if they wish to, even on PM if public posts are a no-go.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:07 am 

marqs wrote:
Aside from the fan connector PCB is final, but it will be challenging to get it into production during the component shortage we're experiencing now.

In other words, we may not see it in 2021?
If PCB is final, can you confirm that earlier design with YPbPr input has RCA audio in?

marqs wrote:
About s-video / cvbs support: that would be ideally implemented by doing PAL/NTSC decoding on FPGA, resulting to smallest amount of additional HW and limitations. I can provide a prototype board for a person who is familiar with the subject and would be willing to take lead on developing the feature.

Is this specifically about on the main board or on an expansion? I'm guessing the Koryuu route is best at launch for those looking for CVBS and S-Video in...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:23 am 

Dr. Claw wrote:
I'm guessing the Koryuu route is best at launch for those looking for CVBS and S-Video in...

Sure, but only those that already own Koryuu should go that route, because it's so far short of what you'll get from a proper add on. Ultimately, we don't want an external device performing ADC, sampling, transcoding, and DAC if it can be avoided. I'm holding out hope the OSSC Pro will have the add on as an option soon after launch.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:11 am 

BuckoA51 wrote:
Adaptive mode requires a few lines to be buffered, since OSSC classic has no buffer at all it can't be done unfortunately.

If we can target 960p in a 1080p window, then why we can’t we target 480p in 540p with the current release?

I’m not sure where the extra buffering comes into play with this scenario.

Can you explain why if it’s not too much of a burden?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:30 am 

The OSSC Classic can't do 960p in a 1080p window either.

The buffering comes in because the framerate is the same, but the amount of time spent sending the 480p or 960p image is reduced compared to the overall frame.

The OSSC will scan out the 540p or 1080p scanlines faster than it receives the 480p or 960p scanlines, but the total time per frame is the same. So the OSSC would need to buffer enough lines to cover the time it spends sending out blank 540p or 1080p scanlines. If my math is right, it needs to buffer ~54 480p scanlines (or 27 240p scanlines) in order to output it in a 540p window without running out of scanlines to send.

The OSSC doesn't have enough RAM for that, AFAIK. Then again, AFAIK it has to buffer some lines to do the cropped 1080p output it already does, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:49 am 

Guspaz wrote:
The OSSC Classic can't do 960p in a 1080p window either.

The buffering comes in because the framerate is the same, but the amount of time spent sending the 480p or 960p image is reduced compared to the overall frame.

The OSSC will scan out the 540p or 1080p scanlines faster than it receives the 480p or 960p scanlines, but the total time per frame is the same. So the OSSC would need to buffer enough lines to cover the time it spends sending out blank 540p or 1080p scanlines. If my math is right, it needs to buffer ~54 480p scanlines in order to output it in a 540p window without running out of scanlines to send.

The OSSC doesn't have enough RAM for that, AFAIK. Then again, AFAIK it has to buffer some lines to do the cropped 1080p output it already does, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh weird I’m surprised my sets were preserving 960p in a 1080p window. That makes sense..

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:11 am 

Hoagtech wrote:
Oh weird I’m surprised my sets were preserving 960p in a 1080p window. That makes sense.

AFAIK some sets will do this if the signal does not meet CEA compliance.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:57 am 

Hoagtech wrote:
BuckoA51 wrote:

If we can target 960p in a 1080p window, then why we can’t we target 480p in 540p with the current release?

I’m not sure where the extra buffering comes into play with this scenario.

Can you explain why if it’s not too much of a burden?

I dropped a hint to Mike asking for it in a future update in the 5X thread, as it should easily be capable of doing it perfectly. Mike is understandably a busy man lately though so even if he agrees to look into it Im sure it wouldnt be anytime soon. Maybe PM him here or contact him on twitter, more calls for such an ultra-niche feature cant hurt. :)

If the device has the resources to do it, I would imagine the more feature-rich Mike can make it, the more robust and important the product will be to the community. I know its a lot of work to work on , bug test, and push out updates for these types of feature requests, but in the end it will only make the RT5X Pro even more of a must-have.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:16 am 

Quote:
For Pro I selected most capable RGB video digitizer I could find and moved sync processing as much on FPGA side as possible.

How about THC7984-17? seems the best except for that I don't know if it supports s-video and cvbs since it is not clear from datasheet despite webpage showing them at the bottom.

I suggest you look into ADV7800 or ADV7802 if you want the absolute best. They can do up to 1080p and can take all the inputs at once (but processes only one at a time). price is huge though.

BTW, how much price is expected for OSSC Pro? pixelmorph is said to be around 350$ which is not cheap. The funny thing that the design I am looking into now uses a scaler ASIC which is 150$ in price alone xD.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:30 am 

VEGETA wrote:
BTW, how much price is expected for OSSC Pro? pixelmorph is said to be around 350$ which is not cheap. The funny thing that the design I am looking into now uses a scaler ASIC which is 150$ in price alone xD.

This was back on Page 27 (Oct 2020), don't know how accurate it is now based on changes since then:

marqs wrote:
altgraph wrote:
Is there an approximate timeframe for its release yet?
Some time next year, hopefully on the first half. The prototype round already got delayed by 1-2 months due to last minute changes (such as the expansion pinout update mentioned above) and lead time of selected DRAM chip, and there are still various items to resolve before release (not just technical ones). On the price side we've now received some initial quotes which indicate the sale price could settle somewhere on $350-550 range. The final number largely depends on which kind of case is designed/customized and how many units are manufactured at once.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:07 am 

incrediblehark wrote:
VEGETA wrote:

This was back on Page 27 (Oct 2020), don't know how accurate it is now based on changes since then:

marqs wrote:
altgraph wrote:
Is there an approximate timeframe for its release yet?
Some time next year, hopefully on the first half. The prototype round already got delayed by 1-2 months due to last minute changes (such as the expansion pinout update mentioned above) and lead time of selected DRAM chip, and there are still various items to resolve before release (not just technical ones). On the price side we've now received some initial quotes which indicate the sale price could settle somewhere on $350-550 range. The final number largely depends on which kind of case is designed/customized and how many units are manufactured at once.

Thanks for pointing it out, I didn't join the forums back then.

I am surprised that a price of 550$ is reasonable in retro gaming, are people actually ready and willing to pay that for a scaler? the 5x is 300$ which is already on the high side but +500$ is a lot for sure. I am not saying or implying anything but just wondering.

I got my OSSC from Aliexpress for about 110$ but the original is about 170$ as I read, huge difference to 350-550$ right?

After looking at the BOM and their cost:

FPGA = 107$ (could go for more).
RAM = 7$.
ISL51002 = 60$ (I recommended the designed of 2 possible alternatives).
ADV7513 = 10$
ADV7611 = 10$

Total = ~200$!
of course other expenses are there but main cost is these. I say 550$ final retail price is reasonable for this if this is the cost. The designer need to make profits out of it in order to be able to manufacture more.

Seeing that the FPGA is at least 110$ I feel very confident (ironically) that my scaler IC is about 150$.

The real challenge is who will buy it at this huge price while other similar products exist.

I hope someone make a technical comparison table between 5x, ossc pro, and morph just to make it easy.

thanks for your time.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:31 am 

VEGETA wrote:

RAM = 7$.
ADV7513 = 10$
ADV7611 = 10$

Total = ~200$!
of course other expenses are there but main cost is these. I say 550$ final retail price is reasonable for this if this is the cost. The designer need to make profits out of it in order to be able to manufacture more.

You’re not good at this.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:42 am 

strayan wrote:
VEGETA wrote:

RAM = 7$.
ADV7513 = 10$
ADV7611 = 10$

Total = ~200$!

You’re not good at this.

can you explain?

I was just pointing out simple pricing, not full on BOM handling to very last 0402 resistor. Also, I didn't factor in more quantities which means less price per unit... this was a rough simple list to get the idea.

waiting for your explanation since you are good at this :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:13 pm 

just as a start: maybe look into the initial costs for steel-based injection molding tools.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:25 pm 

Fudoh wrote:
just as a start: maybe look into the initial costs for steel-based injection molding tools.

All my previous posts were based on no injection moulded case but rather as original OSSC.

However, if you want a professional case, then a third better alternative is here. Which is to find a suitable case from a manufacturer such as Takachi enclosures or Hammond...etc then base your design around it. After that you can just order it customized like drill holes, silkscreen, cuts, etc... this is significantly cheaper than going with full custom injection molded case.

For further info, check EEVBlog on this topic. It's been discussed numerous times and always recommended by professionals as well. Your custom designed enclosure will surely be just a box with your cuts and silkscreen. cutting + silkscreening is very cheap but the high cost is for the mold itself. If you use an already existing case, then all this goes away and you only pay for customization.

Takachi has a lot of suitable and really nice cases which for sure going to match what the designer want. Polycase, Hammond, and others doing the same. The only downside is that you need to make your PCB based on the case, not the other way around. This is really easy though.

I hope these notes can help the designer lower the cost more.

regards

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:43 pm 

VEGETA are you working on a 4th next gen scaler or something? Just wondering what you believe you can achieve with your design that is not or will not covered by one of the other new/upcoming units. More power to you but unless its for a very specific use case that one of these dont cover, competing against 3 next gen units, especially if you are going to be the last to release, is going to be an uphill battle.

Im going to just say that the unprecedented demand that the 5X Pro saw/is seeing is largely related to all the free money and lock down time the world has experienced over the last year. I think the OSSC Pro and the Morph may end up being great units in their own right but at an estimated $350-$400 for them and what Im guessing is at least another 3-6 months before either one is released, theres no way they are going to see the demand the 5X Pro has seen, especially if Mike gets more units to market before either of these launch. Dont get me wrong, I think the 5X Pro is a fantastic unit, but I think he basically hit the lottery with his release timing. I sincerely hope Mike is willing/able to implement some of the additional feature additions to his unit because I think his design is great and its going to be to his benefit to fully utilize the hardware to its full potential. It blows my mind that these devices are being created basically by one-man teams like Marqs and Mike. Its undoubtedly an incredible amount of work and dedication.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:00 pm 

Josh128 wrote:
VEGETA are you working on a 4th next gen scaler or something? Just wondering what you believe you can achieve with your design that is not or will not covered by one of the other new/upcoming units. More power to you but unless its for a very specific use case that one of these dont cover, competing against 3 next gen units, especially if you are going to be the last to release, is going to be an uphill battle.

Im going to just say that the unprecedented demand that the 5X Pro saw/is seeing is largely related to all the free money and lock down time the world has experienced over the last year. I think the OSSC Pro and the Morph may end up being great units in their own right but at an estimated $350-$400 for them and what Im guessing is at least another 3-6 months before either one is released, theres no way they are going to see the demand the 5X Pro has seen, especially if Mike gets more units to market before either of these launch. Dont get me wrong, I think the 5X Pro is a fantastic unit, but I think he basically hit the lottery with his release timing. I sincerely hope Mike is willing/able to implement some of the additional feature additions to his unit because I think his design is great and its going to be to his benefit to fully utilize the hardware to its full potential. It blows my mind that these devices are being created basically by one-man teams like Marqs and Mike. Its undoubtedly an incredible amount of work and dedication.

Thanks for your nice comment, yes I am in the process of designing my own scaler and I already signed 2 NDAs with chip manufacturers, I was a little bit disappointed to see that the main IC is very very expensive but when I looked at OSSC Pro 110$ FPGA I kinda felt ok... it is reasonable to have powerful ICs being expensive.

The one I chose can do 4k60 of 2 outputs independent of each other with hundreds and hundreds of choices, it offers < 1 frame of lag in the slowest mode and literally 0 lag (very few lines of video) on a certain mode which requires extra circuits. It is very difficult to design around though, and right now my skills are not up to the task but I can certainly start, it is going to be fun and challenge for me. I saw the scalers being designed one after another and thought why not add mine, even if it would take a lot. I hope I can make it one day.

You mentioned one-man team, actually the less people involved the better since managing big team is difficult. To let you know, 2X and similar products use off-the-shelf ICs dedicated to video digitizing which are controlled by I2C signals. So the engineer just sends I2C commands to it and it does everything... it is not easy but not hard. Chip manufacturer support is also a big factor since they have files and scripts ready to be used. PCB design is very easy for practiced engineer and fun (at least to me).

Supply and demand plays a role in pricing, I agree.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:53 pm 

VEGETA wrote:
Josh128 wrote:

Thanks for your nice comment, yes I am in the process of designing my own scaler and I already signed 2 NDAs with chip manufacturers, I was a little bit disappointed to see that the main IC is very very expensive but when I looked at OSSC Pro 110$ FPGA I kinda felt ok... it is reasonable to have powerful ICs being expensive.

The one I chose can do 4k60 of 2 outputs independent of each other with hundreds and hundreds of choices, it offers < 1 frame of lag in the slowest mode and literally 0 lag (very few lines of video) on a certain mode which requires extra circuits. It is very difficult to design around though, and right now my skills are not up to the task but I can certainly start, it is going to be fun and challenge for me. I saw the scalers being designed one after another and thought why not add mine, even if it would take a lot. I hope I can make it one day.

You mentioned one-man team, actually the less people involved the better since managing big team is difficult. To let you know, 2X and similar products use off-the-shelf ICs dedicated to video digitizing which are controlled by I2C signals. So the engineer just sends I2C commands to it and it does everything... it is not easy but not hard. Chip manufacturer support is also a big factor since they have files and scripts ready to be used. PCB design is very easy for practiced engineer and fun (at least to me).

Supply and demand plays a role in pricing, I agree.

Why does it seem like you're trying to get information from the 3 other major device creators to make your own device to compete with? Why would anyone share that information if you're just using it to cut into their profits?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:29 pm 

ldeveraux wrote:

Why does it seem like you're trying to get information from the 3 other major device creators to make your own device to compete with? Why would anyone share that information if you're just using it to cut into their profits?

To be fair, he is being upfront and freely admitting this, and others like Marqs have freely shared a lot of the technical design info on their upcoming units. If they want to share, they will, if not, they wont. Theres nothing wrong with asking others with more experience as long as you are being upfront as to why you are asking.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:44 pm 

Lol no I am not trying to get info or something. I always like to learn such stuff and see what other people do, especially that I aim to do a similar thing. I never asked about any secret or confidential thing but rather I feel like my questions are repeated here. Plus, I gave him a nice advice about video decoder IC since I saw that it wasn't in his initial plan and it is better + cheaper than his current one.... this is open source project so getting such questions and advises is normal.

My own project is very long term and won't see the light soon, if any. but I hope I succeed and will put effort.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:05 pm 

It's not an issue discussing some cost aspects although I'd rather stay more on technical matters as they are more interesting part of these kind of hobby projects (at least to me). That said, I'm afraid HDMI is becoming harder to recommend for hobbyists since not only you need to consider the mentioned $5k a year adopter fee when you enter production, but recently availability of some HDMI ICs has been restricted to adopters only even if you'd use them for prototyping or never plan to commercialize your device using them. It doesn't help that it's not clearly defined what parts (signal, connector, logos etc.) are under licenses / patents that require you to become an adopter (and let's not discuss it here, there are dedicated threads for that already). For example, if you pack a DP-HDMI adapter with your DP-only board, it might be still considered as a HDMI-capable product (thus under adopter requirement) depending on who you ask.

About THC7984, it doesn't look bad and it's hard to make any conclusion without evaluation, but on a quick look I see a couple concerns / areas where ISL51002 is likely to be better:
* THC7984 has analog PLL which might be more susceptible to jitter at low frequencies like TVP7002 used in original OSSC
* Just 2 inputs whereas ISL51002 has 3 (actually 4, but only 3 usable due to a routing flaw)
* No simultaneous locked and raw/separated HSYNC output.
* No ALC or automatic sampling phase function

If you look a bit harder, ISL51002 can be found at $20-30/pcs so I don't think it's too much if you want the best. Similarly, 5CEFA5F23(C/I)7N is used in $80 3rd party (i.e. not subvented like DE10-Nano) development boards which gives better idea of the true price which you should be paying once you start sourcing them in larger quantities. Obviously the current component shortage makes it harder to get many parts in a reasonable price or at all, but that's another matter.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:21 pm 

VEGETA wrote:
Lol no I am not trying to get info or something. I always like to learn such stuff and see what other people do, especially that I aim to do a similar thing. I never asked about any secret or confidential thing but rather I feel like my questions are repeated here. Plus, I gave him a nice advice about video decoder IC since I saw that it wasn't in his initial plan and it is better + cheaper than his current one.... this is open source project so getting such questions and advises is normal.

My own project is very long term and won't see the light soon, if any. but I hope I succeed and will put effort.
That's contradictory within the same reply. You're not trying to "get info" but you're trying to make your own similar device, and you ask many questions on how to do this. I don't care if you plan on releasing this in a decade, if I was a device creator and you are basically going to sell something similar, I certainly wouldn't be free with that info. Is good to have options in those devices, but imho this is too far. You're not even asking them privately, that I could understand. You're putting people on the spot making some feel guilty for not sharing compared to those who do.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1510 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51  Next