Post by Hao »

Hi Marqs

Is the SPDIF input only?

Thanks
marqs

Re: OSSC Pro

Post by marqs »

Hao wrote:Is the SPDIF input only?
The connector on base PCB is input. SPDIF output (toslink) exists on an expansion card with extra AV outputs.
VEGETA wrote:last night i searched for female and male pins and sockets but couldn't find suitable ones for the height.
A socket like this is soldered on the display and it is mounted on a pin header of suitable height.
VEGETA

Post by VEGETA »

As for this LCD here, its distance from pins to the bottom of PCB is about 33.5mm. I guess it can be done by using a relatively long male pin. but maybe to make it easier I can make a cut in the board to allow lcd pcb to fit without the need to be flush with the board itself.
incrediblehark

Post by incrediblehark »

After testing out my retrotink 5x pro for a couple of months, I have gone back to my original OSSC with my HDCRT. For the most part the 5x works very well, but still has sync issues with the Neo Geo AES and it doesn't play well with the RGC Dreamcast scart cable with 480p/480i switch, which works flawlessly with the OSSC. I haven't completely given up on the 5x yet, hoping that future firmware updates will fix these issues. Basically what I'm saying is I'm back on board with the OSSC and hoping to get the Pro when it is released soon, especially if it retains the original's compatibility.
GK6475

Post by GK6475 »

I wonder if a Dolby Pro Logic I and II Decoder (for all inputs) could be implemented. Some newer surround sound systems do not decode this kind of signal, like mine.
Jose1980

Post by Jose1980 »

I tried reading all of this. But I got a head ache, so much info and Holy hell you guys sound like rocket scientist to me. this is all new to me. I gotten far as to get a PVM 20M2U and hooked up my gamecube via EON chd mkii with HR wii component cables, and figuring that out was quite a task.

Now, all I want is to hook up my switch to it, and just run 240p on my pvm. if this thing is all I need to achieve that, then by God all mighty I want it. Hope it comes out soon. Wish there was a pre-order option.

And to all of you with your knowledge of this stuff.. I'm very jealous. Lol
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

If you simply want to run 240p and 480i on your PVM, you don’t need an OSSC Pro.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Harrumph wrote:If you simply want to run 240p and 480i on your PVM, you don’t need an OSSC Pro.
I think they specifically want to run Nintendo Switch at 240p (not exactly the best idea, save for retro-styled games). So, the OSSC Pro would be a valid option. But, so would GBS Control or RetroTink 5x :o
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

kitty666cats wrote:
Harrumph wrote:If you simply want to run 240p and 480i on your PVM, you don’t need an OSSC Pro.
I think they specifically want to run Nintendo Switch at 240p (not exactly the best idea, save for retro-styled games). So, the OSSC Pro would be a valid option. But, so would GBS Control or RetroTink 5x :o
If a GBS-Control can take a 1080p or 720p HDMI input with a DSub dongle/adapter and downscale to 240p, then a pre-built option would be a good choice. Cursory glance shows options such as this one: https://www.tindie.com/products/chipnet ... converter/

EDIT: 480p only for the downscaling, but you can set a Switch to that as well I believe? https://medium.com/rgb-inside/gbs-8200- ... 5d3b6907be
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

bobrocks95 wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:
If a GBS-Control can take a 1080p or 720p HDMI input with a DSub dongle/adapter and downscale to 240p, then a pre-built option would be a good choice. Cursory glance shows options such as this one: https://www.tindie.com/products/chipnet ... converter/

EDIT: 480p only for the downscaling, but you can set a Switch to that as well I believe? https://medium.com/rgb-inside/gbs-8200- ... 5d3b6907be
Yeah, Switch has 480p as an option. GBSC will also do the 'elusive' 480i -> 240p which people seem to forget about, heh
Hao

Post by Hao »

incrediblehark wrote:After testing out my retrotink 5x pro for a couple of months, I have gone back to my original OSSC with my HDCRT. For the most part the 5x works very well, but still has sync issues with the Neo Geo AES and it doesn't play well with the RGC Dreamcast scart cable with 480p/480i switch, which works flawlessly with the OSSC. I haven't completely given up on the 5x yet, hoping that future firmware updates will fix these issues. Basically what I'm saying is I'm back on board with the OSSC and hoping to get the Pro when it is released soon, especially if it retains the original's compatibility.

This. Will the Pro retain the originals compatibility?
marqs

Post by marqs »

Hao wrote:
incrediblehark wrote:After testing out my retrotink 5x pro for a couple of months, I have gone back to my original OSSC with my HDCRT. For the most part the 5x works very well, but still has sync issues with the Neo Geo AES and it doesn't play well with the RGC Dreamcast scart cable with 480p/480i switch, which works flawlessly with the OSSC. I haven't completely given up on the 5x yet, hoping that future firmware updates will fix these issues. Basically what I'm saying is I'm back on board with the OSSC and hoping to get the Pro when it is released soon, especially if it retains the original's compatibility.

I wouldn't consider original's compatibility very good considering the number of hacks required to work around its video frontend's limitations. Pro uses a difference video ADC and sync detection is moved to FPGA so things should be much better. So far everything I've tested has synced well aside from an old VCR.
GK6475 wrote:I wonder if a Dolby Pro Logic I and II Decoder (for all inputs) could be implemented. Some newer surround sound systems do not decode this kind of signal, like mine.
It's technically possible, but due to pin count limitations only 2 I2S channels are connected between FPGA and HDMI TX (remaining 6 are directly hooked from HDMI RX). For analog sources 4ch/6ch stereo expansion is still possible by duplicating sources within HDMI TX, but true 7.1 LPCM can be used only with HDMI sources.
Hao

Post by Hao »

marqs wrote:
Hao wrote:

I wouldn't consider original's compatibility very good considering the number of hacks required to work around its video frontend's limitations. Pro uses a difference video ADC and sync detection is moved to FPGA so things should be much better. So far everything I've tested has synced well aside from an old VCR.

Lets agree to disagree :lol:
Harrumph

Post by Harrumph »

kitty666cats wrote:
I think they specifically want to run Nintendo Switch at 240p
Oh, THAT kind of switch, my bad. :D
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Hao wrote:Lets agree to disagree
Hao, in case you didn't realize it, that was the creator of the original OSSC and OSSC Pro replying to you :P
Jose1980

Post by Jose1980 »

kitty666cats wrote:
Exactly. And yes especially on the indi, and metrovania games. So, basically you are saying OSSC Pro will do just that? 240p? all i keep seeing is that they are upscalers.
kitty666cats

Post by kitty666cats »

Jose1980 wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:
Exactly. And yes especially on the indi, and metrovania games. So, basically you are saying OSSC Pro will do just that? 240p? all i keep seeing is that they are upscalers.
Getting an OSSC Pro just for downscaling would be overkill and silly... read this:

https://medium.com/rgb-inside/gbs-8200- ... 5d3b6907be

Or watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcqskbCWPCs

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

https://www.tindie.com/products/chipnet ... converter/

^ one of our very own members sells these, if you're not into soldering and stuff
incrediblehark

Post by incrediblehark »

marqs wrote:
Hao wrote:

GK6475 wrote:I wonder if a Dolby Pro Logic I and II Decoder (for all inputs) could be implemented. Some newer surround sound systems do not decode this kind of signal, like mine.
It's technically possible, but due to pin count limitations only 2 I2S channels are connected between FPGA and HDMI TX (remaining 6 are directly hooked from HDMI RX). For analog sources 4ch/6ch stereo expansion is still possible by duplicating sources within HDMI TX, but true 7.1 LPCM can be used only with HDMI sources.

Thanks for this information. I thought OSSC was pretty good compatibility wise so for you to say the Pro is even better is very reassuring!
Jose1980

Post by Jose1980 »

@kitty666cats thank you so much for replying and info, appreciate it.
jay_are

Post by jay_are »

I am totally getting the OSSC Pro mainly for the 240p. I kinda don't like GBS Control simply for the fact that it was not specifically made for this, so it's a more complicated DIY project. It's also a bit awkward to use because it requires Wi fi... I am only gonna end up suffering wishing that a device just like the GBS Control was made, except with 240p in mind from the start so that it doesn't need Wifi, no custom firmwares, no modificiations, and a nice case/shell. The OSSC Pro is justified given everything else it can do, I wanted to get into Mister, but it can't even output 240p on its own... I'd probably end up spending almost as much as on an OSSC Pro, and still not have the ability to play PC games in 240p :(
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

jay_are wrote:I wanted to get into Mister, but it can't even output 240p on its own...
It can, you'll just need a $15-$20 DAC along with it.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Holiday Bump!

Any news or updates? Do you think we'll be able to get our hands on this in 2021?
GK6475

Post by GK6475 »

It would be nice to have a color banding reduction/removal feature, as well as a YPBPR and/or YCBCR422 processing feature to smooth out the half-resolution colors. Just some suggestions.
marqs

Post by marqs »

XtraSmiley wrote:Holiday Bump!

Any news or updates? Do you think we'll be able to get our hands on this in 2021?
We have a handful of finalized PCBs made, but setting up larger production during current component shortage is a painful process. We expect a proper launch in Q1 2022, but no guarantees are given.
overscan

Post by overscan »

marqs wrote: We have a handful of finalized PCBs made, but setting up larger production during current component shortage is a painful process. We expect a proper launch in Q1 2022, but no guarantees are given.
Thank you for the update! Does this also apply to the DExx-vd_isl? The OSSC pro is obviously the main event but this has me the most excited.
marqs

Post by marqs »

overscan wrote:Thank you for the update! Does this also apply to the DExx-vd_isl? The OSSC pro is obviously the main event but this has me the most excited.
We'll try make a small batch of DExx-vd_isl at around the same time as long as it doesn't cannibalize OSSC pro batches (both use some same key components). Updates of that will be posted in its dedicated thread.
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

Just picked up a VRROOM that is able to upscale 1080p up to 8k/60 provided they are FRL. The OSSC doesn't work since it's Tmds, which leaves it at 4k/60 for upscaling. I was wondering if the OSSC Pro could have an option for FRL0?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Displays I currently own:
LG 83C1(OLED),LG 77C2(OLED), LG 42C2(OLED),TCL 75R635(MiniLED),Apple Studio Monitor 21(PCCRT),SONY 34XBR960x2(HDCRT)
SONY 32XBR250,Samsung UBJ590(LED),Panasonic P50VT20(Plasma),JVC NZ8
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

Which hd crt do you have?

LG 83C1(OLED),LG 77C2(OLED), LG 42C2(OLED),TCL 75R635(MiniLED),Apple Studio Monitor 21(PCCRT),SONY 34XBR960x2(HDCRT)
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Bahn Yuki wrote:I was wondering if the OSSC Pro could have an option for FRL0?
"FRL0" seems to be a not-really-standard term for "classic TMDS instead of FRL", so technically even the classic OSSC "supports" it. If you mean an actual FRL mode, that appears to be a completely different signalling system compared to the classic TMDS, so it requires explicit support by the transmitter chip.
Bahn Yuki

Post by Bahn Yuki »

Unseen wrote:
Bahn Yuki wrote:I was wondering if the OSSC Pro could have an option for FRL0?
"FRL0" seems to be a not-really-standard term for "classic TMDS instead of FRL", so technically even the classic OSSC "supports" it. If you mean an actual FRL mode, that appears to be a completely different signalling system compared to the classic TMDS, so it requires explicit support by the transmitter chip.
According to the vrroom, the OSSC and retrotink 5x pro are TMDS. The VRROOM can only upscale to 4k/60 in that case. 8k/60 upscaling needs FRL.