maxtherabbit

Re: OSSC Pro

Post by maxtherabbit »

omikron24 wrote:...
lol
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

I'm really curious why the most common order is the hardest to source.

Maybe some really common brand in China uses RGB order?
omikron24

Post by omikron24 »

Konsolkongen wrote:I would really love to see the cables you use that are so thick and tough that you worry they will rip the OSSC to pieces :O
Official Nintendo Wii component cable and xbox 360 VGA
marqs

Post by marqs »

ZellSF wrote:I'm really curious why the most common order is the hardest to source.

Maybe some really common brand in China uses RGB order?
Speaking of the original model, please keep in mind that it was designed as something that people could build and order parts for easily. Placing a 1000pcs (example MOQ) order from China is not something most DIY-people want to do. With luck some manufacturers could provide free samples but probably not too long if too many random people end up doing so and never ordering a batch.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

omikron24 wrote:3. Such "nonsense" can cost you a cable or a short circuit and potential electrical damage to the device (....)

Just out of curiosity - have you ever seen Apple's usb cables? That break exactly at the point of badly designed strain relief?
Apple's USB cables are power-carrying cables, Component video cables are not.
omikron24

Post by omikron24 »

Unseen wrote:
omikron24 wrote:3. Such "nonsense" can cost you a cable or a short circuit and potential electrical damage to the device (....)

Just out of curiosity - have you ever seen Apple's usb cables? That break exactly at the point of badly designed strain relief?
Apple's USB cables are power-carrying cables, Component video cables are not.
They still break, don't they?

Short circuits may also happen if the grounding is compromised. Essentially shielding becomes live and sparks with joy and happiness.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

omikron24 wrote:
Konsolkongen wrote:I would really love to see the cables you use that are so thick and tough that you worry they will rip the OSSC to pieces :O
BS. Those are some of the thinnest component cables I've ever owned. Twist and bend away, I guarantee you that having two of those cables swapped will never cause the component inputs on your OSSC to break, nor will the bends on the cables ever be near enough to cause damage :)
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Konsolkongen wrote:
omikron24 wrote:
BS. Those are some of the thinnest component cables I've ever owned. Twist and bend away, I guarantee you that having two of those cables swapped will never cause the component inputs on your OSSC to break, nor will the bends on the cables ever be near enough to cause damage :)
For me it's not any issues with the OSSC, but I have some stupid thick cables that are hard to twist, but really, it's not a BIG deal. It's just mentioned for me if an easy fix, but not a big deal if not.

Marqs explanation makes sense on why the choice was made.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

omikron24 wrote:Short circuits may also happen if the grounding is compromised. Essentially shielding becomes live and sparks with joy and happiness.
Well, it's a good thing then that you are using component video - it gives you triple-redundant ground connections as a side effect.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

omikron24 wrote:
Official Nintendo Wii component cable

Wat? These are very thin and very bendable.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Konsolkongen wrote:
omikron24 wrote:
If my RG-59 triple can handle it, I'm sure those tiny cables can endure a gentle transposition
Joelepain

Post by Joelepain »

Do you think it's a problem that can be solved in software ?
Having an option in the menu to choose between GBR and RGB (technically between YPbPr and PrYPb) ? Can the hardware sync on any of the three signal ?
I suppose if the real concern of people is cable relief, they won't give a f*** about knowing that their cable colors don't match the socket colors.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Joelepain wrote:Do you think it's a problem that can be solved in software ?
Having an option in the menu to choose between GBR and RGB (technically between YPbPr and PrYPb) ? Can the hardware sync on any of the three signal ?
I suppose if the real concern of people is cable relief, they won't give a f*** about knowing that their cable colors don't match the socket colors.
I don't think that's a good idea because this is just going to overcomplicate things and confuse people for no real benefits.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Joelepain wrote:Having an option in the menu to choose between GBR and RGB (technically between YPbPr and PrYPb) ?
I think it depends on how the jacks are connected to the ADC, and whether or not the ADC can do that.

As for the color order, RCA cables to AV2 could very well be carrying RGsB, in which case, the RGB order would be correct.

Personally, if the part with RGB order is what's available, I'd rather take that over not having one at all, because the GBR parts are unobtanium, and having to cross over green and blue is a non-issue.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

How the hell did "short circuits causing sparking cables" come into the conversation about low-voltage low-amperage video signals?

Unless you're trying to use those super thick monoprice coax cables, the order is irrelevant. It's an inconvenience at absolute worst, and a non-issue for everybody else.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

A late feature request from my side. Might have been suggested earlier in a different context already, but here we go again just to be safe: I have a number of NES and FC machines that were modded with the Arcade RGB PPU years ago, but I have no intention to re-mod these with Tim's NESRGB board just for the palette options. Hence I would like to see the possibility to adjust the color palette during processing. Kind of a basic LUT for the required color conversion.

I think creating a user adjustable LUT on the processor itself might be a bit much, but maybe the ability to load in conversion tables created on a PC (in whatever format) would be manageable.
Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 »

Fudoh wrote:A late feature request from my side. Might have been suggested earlier in a different context already, but here we go again just to be safe: I have a number of NES and FC machines that were modded with the Arcade RGB PPU years ago, but I have no intention to re-mod these with Tim's NESRGB board just for the palette options. Hence I would like to see the possibility to adjust the color palette during processing. Kind of a basic LUT for the required color conversion.

I think creating a user adjustable LUT on the processor itself might be a bit much, but maybe the ability to load in conversion tables created on a PC (in whatever format) would be manageable.
Wow, great idea, if it can be done easy enough! My NES has the NESRGB board but updating the palette is not something I'm keen on doing myself.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

That really is a cool idea. It would benefit NESRGB users also. There could be tables that start from the RGB values of common palettes like the "natural" one. Any table could be adapted to any other base palette since all the RGB values are known.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

I think that's trickier than it sounds: we're dealing with analog video, where many things can shift the value of a sample off of the "ideal" value. It could be noise, or attenuation, or samples taken at the borders of NES pixels, anything that will give you a value that's far enough away from what you're trying to map from. You would need to perform some sort of quantization on every sample to say "Which is the closest source value on the LUT" but it would still probably cause strange things on the pixel boundaries. So on top of requiring that quantization, it would only really work if you set up the pixel-perfect sampling with the phase dialed in exactly.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Guspaz wrote:I think that's trickier than it sounds: we're dealing with analog video, where many things can shift the value of a sample off of the "ideal" value. It could be noise, or attenuation, or samples taken at the borders of NES pixels, anything that will give you a value that's far enough away from what you're trying to map from. You would need to perform some sort of quantization on every sample to say "Which is the closest source value on the LUT" but it would still probably cause strange things on the pixel boundaries. So on top of requiring that quantization, it would only really work if you set up the pixel-perfect sampling with the phase dialed in exactly.
Are existing LUT devices all digital-only?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I think that's trickier than it sounds:
possibly, but then again today's LUTs (e.g. for home theater processors) are just used to define certain adjustment points on the color spectrum, but without limiting the whole conversion to that specific colors. If - for example - red is moved towards orange (just with a single LUT entry), then the neighbouring colors are also adjusted, depending on proximity to the defined color spot.

I get your point of course. Still wanted it out there as an option to hopefully be explored at some point :mrgreen:
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

I would imagine existing LUT devices for analog signals interpolate between values, like Fudoh is talking about. But that sort of thing is meant for natural pictures with smooth gradients (for colour grading or calibration), trying to use them to force one NES palette into another, that may not work as well, at least not without a large LUT. Or rather, you might be able to make broad adjustments but you couldn't pick an individual NES palette colour and change it to another one. Or maybe you could?

In any event, you can try this in software to see how feasible it is. Photoshop lets you export an adjustment layer as a LUT, so you can load up a screenshot of an NES game and create an adjustment layer to get the palette how you like, then export the 3DLUT load it into madVR and use it for video recordings of NES footage to see how well it works. You can also try the free version of DaVinci Resolve, a colour grading tool.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I think with proper sampling applied (so you avoid pixels with mixed colors on the horizontal) and with a certain tolerance (to make sure all pixels with that particular color are affected) this should work well. To cover variance between systems the system could be calibrated using a test image or a screen from a known game like SMB.

Trying this a scaled and 4:2:0 compressed video a NES game is way, way more complicated.
diamondtron

Post by diamondtron »

Would it be possible to use the HDMI input and analog output of the OSSC Pro to display 1080p on an analog display that won’t result in the edges of the image being cut off because of the video timings? So far I don’t know any ways of displaying the full image of standard 1080p video on a CRT monitor or CRT projector without adding latency or displaying a cut off image.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Could you elaborate on that? The last 1080p capable CRT I used was a Sony FW900 and I had no problems displaying a 1080p signal without having to fight any overscan issues.
diamondtron

Post by diamondtron »

Fudoh wrote:Could you elaborate on that? The last 1080p capable CRT I used was a Sony FW900 and I had no problems displaying a 1080p signal without having to fight any overscan issues.
When using an FW900 or CRT projector I’ve never been able to get a 1920x1080p signal from a game console to display the entire image no matter what converter I use, usually about 5% of the width of the image is cut off no matter what you do, and I believe it’s because of the timings the signal uses.

Video example: https://gfycat.com/meanbiggoose
This is the 1080p signal from an Xbox 360 VGA cable, although I’ve had the same experience with HDMI output+HDMI-VGA converter from game consoles and blu ray players.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

and horizontal size was set to minimum in this example?

I didn't have this problem on my FW900. I know for sure since I calibrated the display with a cropping test pattern (black screen with a single while line on the outmost pixel rows and columns). I also didn't have the relatively large black borders on the left and right.
diamondtron

Post by diamondtron »

Fudoh wrote:
and horizontal size was set to minimum in this example?

I didn't have this problem on my FW900. I know for sure since I calibrated the display with a cropping test pattern (black screen with a single while line on the outmost pixel rows and columns). I also didn't have the relatively large black borders on the left and right.
Yes this problem occurs regardless of how low HSize is. I actually have experienced this issue with all of my PC CRT monitors as well as CRT projectors so far. I know I’ve seen other people post about this over the years too. I put the black borders on the left and right just so it’s easier to see that the monitor won’t display the entirety of the image at once
Ryoandr

Post by Ryoandr »

1080p converted from HDMI will be too wide for PC CRT, verified on many high end PC CRTs.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

interesting, thanks! Then the problem is the converter and this might not change with the OSSC Pro. The video processors I've used directly generate analogue video, so this might have done the trick.