OSSC Pro

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
marqs

OSSC Pro

Post by marqs »

A new OSSC model is in development and will be released later this year!

The new model improves almost all aspects of the original design and incorporates several new features which has been requested by community over the years. A preliminary block diagram, concept pictures and summary of key improvements are presented below.

Block diagram:

Concept pictures:

Highlights of the new design:

ISL51002 video ADC:
* improved sync processing robustness
* reduced sampling jitter with DPLL
* fine-grained video LPF
* automatic sampling phase adjustment

Cyclone V FPGA (5CEFA5F23C8N):
* higher performance and more resources
* hard memory controller
* large number of IOs

Clocking and memory improvements:
* Si5351C clock generator for accurate output pixel clock generation (framelock or free-running)
* 512MB LPDDR2 RAM and 16MB QSPI flash

New AV inputs:
* HDMI
* SPDIF (optical)

2x20 pin GPIO connector for future expansion possibilities such as:
* composite & s-video input module
* secondary video output (e.g. VGA) module
* latency tester interface module
* game controller port module (for using OSSC Pro as a dedicated FPGA console)

The processing modes enabled by the HW can be split roughly into three types:

1. Pure line multiplier
* both active and blanking lines multiplied - basically what original OSSC does
* simplest mode with least latency

2. Adaptive line multiplier
* visible lines are multiplied but horizontal & vertical total matched to standard timings
* high compatibility with minimal latency overhead (1-30 lines typically)
* enables some new output configurations such as 4x240p/2x480p in standard 1080p frame

3. Scaler
* higher flexibility via LPDDR2 utilization
* HQ deinterlacing
* non-integer scaling
* rotation
* refresh rate conversion

It will take time until all the features get implemented, but release can be expected once the HW is complete and a sufficient number of new features are available and verified. As a thanks to community's support for the first project, upcoming prototypes of the new model will be sent to the guys who have contributed most on the original OSSC firmware. New developers are also welcome as the project is large enough to enable different implementation areas for several people. For DIY-builders and those who can't wait for the final HW, a small add-on PCB compatible with a couple Terasic FPGA dev boards (DE10-Nano, DE2-115) is in works and available soon. Together with the parent dev board, it can be used to implement a subset of the functionality presented above.

UPDATE 10/2020: Prototype round delayed due to last minute changes and lead time issues, current ETA 11/2020
UPDATE 12/2020: Prototypes received, testing ongoing
UPDATE 06/2021: PCB is ready for production, other HW is being finalized
UPDATE 01/2022: Production postponed due to component shortages
UPDATE 05/2022: Production of DExx-vd_isl boards started while waiting for component market to normalize for OSSC Pro launch
UPDATE 12/2022: Availability of a couple key components still remains weak with no near-term improvement in sight
UPDATE 10/2023: First batch is being manufactured and should be available 11/2023
Last edited by marqs on Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:41 pm, edited 6 times in total.
opt2not

Re: OSSC Pro

Post by opt2not »

Amazing announcement! This is exciting!
shmupsman

Post by shmupsman »

"3. Scaler"

sounds realy good.............. :D
count me in.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

This is sooner and -much- bigger an update than anything I expected. Awesome. 8)
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
rama

Post by rama »

This new project sounds very exciting.

The new frontend claims it can deal with severe sync disturbances with little compromise with regards to jitter.
Automatic sampling phase and channel offset controls should make a normally tedious job free.
The large bandwidth control and the mixer may make the additional input buffer IC obsolete.
All in all, this may be a great frontend that needs less firmware control to deliver the best possible quality.

marqs:
I wonder about the Si5351C clock generator, as I'm looking into this chip (A variant) myself right now.
Do you plan on using the fractional PLL as a display clock directly? Do you think it is good enough to meet specs?
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Well I want one.

Any idea about how much input lag scaling will have?
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Holy moly, did I see ROTATION on there!!!!!! YES!!! How much lag will this introduce?!?!

Also, any chance you could call it the OSSC 2? The Pro name is stupid for a sequel product, especially since it doesn't really mean professional. I mean the first OSSC is professional. Also, are you going to sell both side by side? Just my opinion of course, I'll buy it even if you call it shit in a bag!
PearlJammzz

Post by PearlJammzz »

Wow, this is great! I can't wait for some better deinterlacing. It's the only reason I use my Framemeister still.

Will this support higher resolutions/line doubling than 1080p/5x for 240p? With 4k TVs being standard it'd be really awesome to see if the hardware supports it. What about HDMI's optional QMS for really fast resolution switching (240p/480i switching).

*EDIT* I know nothing of this stuff but some Googling found https://www.renesas.com/us/en/www/doc/d ... l51002.pdf which lists max resolutions up to 1080p@60hz. This mean we're limited to 1080p still?
invzim

Post by invzim »

The BOM looks expensive and ambitious! I presume it will be more than a 2 layer PCB this time :)
Sirotaca

Post by Sirotaca »

Looks amazing! Just when I was thinking the OSSC was finished and perfect, lol. Can't wait to see the OSSC Pro in action.

Will it still be limited to 1920x1200 output?
mario64

Post by mario64 »

So excited for this! Am I reading correctly that the Pro should handle sync changes faster, i.e. 240p to 480i and back?
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Looks like instant buy. The new form factor is also much nicer and would allow for a better case :)
marqs

Post by marqs »

rama wrote:The new frontend claims it can deal with severe sync disturbances with little compromise with regards to jitter.
Automatic sampling phase and channel offset controls should make a normally tedious job free.
The large bandwidth control and the mixer may make the additional input buffer IC obsolete.
All in all, this may be a great frontend that needs less firmware control to deliver the best possible quality.
Selection of the video ADC was a hard choice between ISL51002 and ADV7842 - I hope I made the right call this time. ISL51002 has its own quircks but so far it has operated way better than TVP7002.
rama wrote:I wonder about the Si5351C clock generator, as I'm looking into this chip (A variant) myself right now.
Do you plan on using the fractional PLL as a display clock directly? Do you think it is good enough to meet specs?
Yes, I've been using that chip in cps2_digiav project with good results.
XtraSmiley wrote:I mean the first OSSC is professional. Also, are you going to sell both side by side? Just my opinion of course, I'll buy it even if you call it shit in a bag!
invzim wrote:The BOM looks expensive and ambitious! I presume it will be more than a 2 layer PCB this time :)
It's a different model in different price category which isn't going to replace the original one (which I wouldn't call professional for various reasons). No chance for cheap 2-layer PCB this time.
PearlJammzz wrote:Will this support higher resolutions/line doubling than 1080p/5x for 240p? With 4k TVs being standard it'd be really awesome to see if the hardware supports it. What about HDMI's optional QMS for really fast resolution switching (240p/480i switching).

*EDIT* I know nothing of this stuff but some Googling found https://www.renesas.com/us/en/www/doc/d ... l51002.pdf which lists max resolutions up to 1080p@60hz. This mean we're limited to 1080p still?
That datasheet is just for the video ADC, but yes, the HDMI transmitter chip is also limited to around 165MHz. Proper 4K processing is very expensive to implement on FPGA today, but the model is designed so that it'd be straightforward to make a 4K edition one day when the hardware (and required design tool) costs drop.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

1. Regarding the TOSLINK input, will that be assignable to any input? And will there be auto-detection to allow the TOSLINK audio to be used instead of the analogue audio when both are detected? For example, I have both TOSLINK and RCA stereo coming out of my YPbPr component switcher; would I be able to run the analogue audio to AV2, with the video, and then TOSLINK to the TOSLINK input, and have the TOSLINK audio be used when I select AV2, and for it to fall back on analogue when there's no digital audio playing?

2. Regarding the expansion I/O, will there be pins for serial communication? Would it also be possible to make an addon module for additional TOSLINK inputs, for those who may have TOSLINK from both AV1, AV2, AV3, and/or AV4 (DVI+TOSLINK) sources?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

An HDMI input was my most-wanted feature, so that makes this worth it to me for that alone. Glad I've been too lazy to sell my HDMI GameCube :D

If the deinterlacing looks good for the PS2, it would be the last console to move over from my CRT as well. Or maybe one of the 2 new scaling modes could output a 1440i signal my OLED likes.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

This is exciting news! I will be definitely purchasing.

Will there be downscaling (480i/Other) to 240p on the roadmap?

"Dedicated FPGA console" bloody hell, what doesn't it do
Mobiusstriptech

Post by Mobiusstriptech »

My only request is over voltage protection. The current OSSC does not have this and if someone plugs in a supply over 5v, it instantly fries the HDMI transmitter, and generally at least 2 regulators. Sometimes it fries even more.

Otherwise. This sounds awesome and I definitely look forward to seeing what you bring to the table this time.
For mod work and questions email us at mobiusstriptech@gmail.com

Twitter: @mobiusstriptech

Youtube: MobiusStripTech

schleichfahrt

Post by schleichfahrt »

Mobiusstriptech wrote:My only request is over voltage protection.
This! Please listen to the man.
When you ruin some enemy, add to score points.
PixelDharma

Post by PixelDharma »

I just thought I'd mention at this stage.. I'd love it if HDMI-CEC stuff were possible. If it detects a signal on one of the inputs, it would switch to that input, then send out an "Device On" and "Select this HDMI input" signal to the TV and/or AVR.

It would be possible then to turn on your SNES or whatever, and then it would automatically turn on the TV and switch to the right input.
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

This is incredible.
Is there any chance of it being able to detect what signals are being sent and automatically apply the correct timings? Also, any chance of automatic phase detection?
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

So we can break our NDA now Markus? :lol:
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
statix138

Post by statix138 »

Well, looks like another pre-order is in my future.
owlnonymous

Post by owlnonymous »

Awesome news! Love that expansion port. I'd love to see an RGB/SCART out that acts as a passthrough to feed into the PVM. That way you can have dual output for capturing footage while playing on a PVM. Love the tease of using the OSSC as a FPGA console ;)
Thomago

Post by Thomago »

WOOOOOOOAAAAAHHHHH!

I assume "HQ deinterlacing" includes stuff like inverse telecine?
Galgomite

Post by Galgomite »

Fantastic news! Can’t wait for this!
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

This sounds amazing

I'm assuming adaptive line multiplication will allow for "windowed" scaling. Like 960p in a 1080p frame?
I'm super hyped for TOSLINK input. I dumped wayyyyy too much money into TOSLINK to HDMI embedders that didn't work.
The DE10-Nano compatible dev board also sounds amazing. Even though I'm not a dev, I'm hoping I can get my hands on one of those to test features.

I plan to order at least 2 as soon as any preorder lists go up. So hyped!
Gara

Post by Gara »

HDMI and SPDIF in! That's a day one preorder for sure. Being able to assign the audio source in profiles is going to be wonderful. I'm really looking forward to it
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

This was due! People working on MiSTer stuff have been throwing a bit of shade at the OG OSSC's relatively lacking capabilities, since the scalers that can be used in the DE10-Nano/MiSTer are really good. I was thinking that someone doing a dedicated scaler platform on the Nano was a matter of time, especially with the board being affordable thanks to the Terasic subsidy, but this may make it unnecessary.

Regarding features, will a frame buffer be possible? I'd be looking forward to that for smooth resolution changes without sync drops. Also looking forward to good de-interlacing (a lost art, really), LPF on D-Sub input, rotation, and expansion possibilities.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

I forgot to mention. Please please PLEASE find a way to remove 5V output to the HDMI output when there isn't an active input. This would make a HUGE difference to HDMI auto switching setups.
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

BuckoA51 wrote:So we can break our NDA now Markus? :lol:
Will you be creating a mailing list for this one? ;p