shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu May 13, 2021 10:51 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: OSSC Pro
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:51 pm 



Joined: 01 Mar 2018
Posts: 727
insectmeyes wrote:
I wanted to comment that once the development is finished the name should be changed because right now models of the normal OSSC are being sold with the Pro name and the difference is that they have heatsinks to avoid heating problems I think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCSgQ_D5ag0


eww that's just tacky.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC Pro
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:46 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Oct 2015
Posts: 2569
Location: Montréal, Canada
It's kind of impressive that they bothered making an accurate 3D model of the OSSC for their AliExpress entry. I'm not sure that they sold enough to make changing the name matter, it just seems to be limited to aliexpress anyhow.


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC Pro
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:58 am 


User avatar

Joined: 02 Oct 2010
Posts: 3233
Location: Ireland
I think if someone buys one of those expecting to get an actual OSSC Pro, well, that's kinda on them :D

Cool go faster stripe though!
_________________
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the XRGB Wiki before posting about the OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC Pro
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:43 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Oct 2012
Posts: 580
Location: Germany
BuckoA51 wrote:
Cool go faster stripe though!

I'd be worried about A/V desynchronization there xD


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC Pro
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:32 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 02 Oct 2010
Posts: 3233
Location: Ireland
I made a quick video of some of the OSSC pro's new features and posted it to my Youtube here:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THyhfHe5Jz0
_________________
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the XRGB Wiki before posting about the OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC Pro
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:36 pm 



Joined: 19 Mar 2017
Posts: 480
Thanks for that. How quick is the weave deinterlacing mode? Any numbers yet?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC Pro
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:44 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Oct 2015
Posts: 2569
Location: Montréal, Canada
While I can't speak for the OSSC Pro itself, there is no reason for weave to add any delay, the reason it wasn't possible on the OSSC was because it didn't have enough RAM to buffer the previous field, which it needs to fill in the alternating scanlines.


Top
 Online Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC Pro
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:51 pm 



Joined: 20 Apr 2018
Posts: 296
Location: St Louis, IL, USA
Thank you for the update video, the hype is being generated in my mind already!

Any chance you could demonstrate the rotation feature? This is one of the big ones many have been waiting on!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC Pro
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:55 am 


User avatar

Joined: 28 Apr 2017
Posts: 544
Location: Bellevue, Washington, USA
BuckoA51 wrote:
I made a quick video of some of the OSSC pro's new features and posted it to my Youtube here:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THyhfHe5Jz0


:D
_________________
My gaming setup for automatic switching (with product links)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC Pro
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:49 am 


User avatar

Joined: 02 Oct 2010
Posts: 3233
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Any chance you could demonstrate the rotation feature? This is one of the big ones many have been waiting on!


That's not implemented yet I'm afraid.
_________________
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the XRGB Wiki before posting about the OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC Pro
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:14 am 



Joined: 09 Apr 2012
Posts: 2459
I like lanczos3 scaling for 480p so that's a pleasant surprise (I wasn't sure we'd get anything but nearest and bilinear).

Definitely want to see a lot more flexibility in framelock options though. To match whatever mode you might want to.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC Pro
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:18 pm 



Joined: 20 Apr 2018
Posts: 296
Location: St Louis, IL, USA
BuckoA51 wrote:
Quote:
Any chance you could demonstrate the rotation feature? This is one of the big ones many have been waiting on!


That's not implemented yet I'm afraid.


OK, thank you.

I'm by no means making any demands on the team, however, this is one of the features that would really help shmup fans. I don't know how feasible it is, but it should be one of the main features ready to go when the OSSC-Pro ships!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC Pro
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:19 pm 



Joined: 02 May 2017
Posts: 69
Thanks for the video, could you share if the scanlines settings will have some new options or if it will be a direct port from the ossc classic?? (all I want is to use custom settings on both vertical and horizontal lines at the same time, right now horizontal settings disable vertical for that line).

Regards


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC Pro
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:41 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 02 Oct 2010
Posts: 3233
Location: Ireland
Scanlines are sorely missing from the current build, I'm sure Marqs will have them implemented soon though.
_________________
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the XRGB Wiki before posting about the OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC Pro
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:45 pm 



Joined: 23 Apr 2021
Posts: 1
Will it be possible to do this in OSSC Pro:

https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?t=2227

I mean maybe not automatic per game setting like in that link, but manually cropping the image before 5x is applied.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC Pro
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:20 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2012
Posts: 867
Location: Finland
naz wrote:
Thanks for the video, could you share if the scanlines settings will have some new options or if it will be a direct port from the ossc classic?? (all I want is to use custom settings on both vertical and horizontal lines at the same time, right now horizontal settings disable vertical for that line).
BuckoA51 wrote:
Scanlines are sorely missing from the current build, I'm sure Marqs will have them implemented soon though.
Scanline settings will be initially implemented as in Classic, but there is naturally opportunities to improve them later. Now that scaler mode framework is in place and basic framelock options added, focus will soon switch to implementing postprocessing settings (scanlines, mask, BFI etc.) and profiles so that the firmware can be tailored towards release condition.
bni wrote:
Will it be possible to do this in OSSC Pro:

https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?t=2227

I mean maybe not automatic per game setting like in that link, but manually cropping the image before 5x is applied.
That is already possible on the Classic, but will have better display compatibility with Pro.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC Pro
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:49 pm 



Joined: 13 Aug 2018
Posts: 28
Now that the Pro seems to support 1440p resolution, would it be possible to include 1440p-->1440i conversion? 1440i is not a standard but it just so happens to work with the BKM-68X on A-series monitors, making it the highest possible picture quality one can get from those sets.


Last edited by DatMonkey on Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC Pro
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:59 pm 



Joined: 14 Aug 2017
Posts: 1403
DatMonkey wrote:
Now that the Pro seems to support 1440p resolution, would it be possible to include 1440p-->1440i conversion? 1440i is not a standard but it just so happens to work with the BKM-68X on A-series monitors, making it the hightest possible picture quality one can get from those sets.


This would be neat. Out of curiosity, what sources that can output 1440i have you used when you found out about this? I think this capability should also apply to the analogue inputs on the other multiformat monitors of the D-series.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC Pro
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:03 pm 



Joined: 13 Aug 2018
Posts: 28
fernan1234 wrote:
DatMonkey wrote:
Now that the Pro seems to support 1440p resolution, would it be possible to include 1440p-->1440i conversion? 1440i is not a standard but it just so happens to work with the BKM-68X on A-series monitors, making it the hightest possible picture quality one can get from those sets.


This would be neat. Out of curiosity, what sources that can output 1440i have you used when you found out about this? I think this capability should also apply to the analogue inputs on the other multiformat monitors of the D-series.


PC running 1440i via custom resolution. Unfortunately it doesn't work on the D-series BVMs.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC Pro
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:40 pm 



Joined: 17 Mar 2018
Posts: 171
Location: Germany
Yes it does, it worked on my D32 with CRT_emudriver.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC Pro
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:57 pm 



Joined: 13 Aug 2018
Posts: 28
SuperSpongo wrote:
Yes it does, it worked on my D32 with CRT_emudriver.


Ok that's great news! So the use-case for 1440i is even stronger then.

The drawbacks of using a PC to accomplish this are that newer GPUs no longer support interlaced resolutions and Nvidia forces a blurring anti-flickering filter when doing so. Having the possibility to feed the OSSC Pro direct 1440p to convert it to 1440i would be a game-changer in my book.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC Pro
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:38 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Jan 2021
Posts: 1
marqs wrote:
Harrumph wrote:
I’m sure SCART vs DE-15 is an interesting and valid discussion, but perhaps not in this thread?
Yeah, the board has both so it's up to the user which one(s) to select. It's worth mentioning that I've utilized normally unused/reserved pins of SCART and HD15 to include support for 'missing' sync types of each other. Essentially video-level sync input is added on HD-15 (pin 4) and H+V syncs for SCART (pins 12 and 10) so various sources can be connected to either one with passive adapters.

I've recently run some performance tests and 2560x1440@60Hz seems to run fine already on current prototype even though it goes beyond specs of 3 different chips. The plan is now to upgrade HDMI TX (SiI1136) and FPGA (+1 speed grade), but 2560x1440@60Hz is still likely to remain an unofficial extra while 1920x1440@60Hz will be one that is guaranteed to work across all boards and conditions.


Hi marqs, from BuckoA51 YouTube video about OSSC Pro we do know that the hardware is finished, and you are working on firmware features. But I couldn't find a confirmation that you upgraded the HDMI TX chip to Sil1136 and bumped the FPGA to the next best thing to achieve 2560x1440@60Hz.

So is it Sil1136? If yes it would be awesome for other non retro gamer aplications - to broader it's potential market.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC Pro
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 1:48 am 


User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2021
Posts: 19
So with the RetroTink 5x Pro having much more latency/lag (4ms - 20+ ms) than it’s 2x predecessors (0.053ms), and discontinuing it’s smoothing algorithm...

Will the OSSC Pro have a mode which can hit all of these points out the park?:

1. Flicker-free 480i upscaling
2. HQ4x+ Smoothing option
3. Operation under 1ms (original RetroTink2x classic did its thing in 0.053 ms)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC Pro
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 2:17 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2012
Posts: 867
Location: Finland
ThaPhatCat wrote:
Hi marqs, from BuckoA51 YouTube video about OSSC Pro we do know that the hardware is finished, and you are working on firmware features. But I couldn't find a confirmation that you upgraded the HDMI TX chip to Sil1136 and bumped the FPGA to the next best thing to achieve 2560x1440@60Hz.

So is it Sil1136? If yes it would be awesome for other non retro gamer aplications - to broader it's potential market.
The latest prototype has Sil1136 and one speed grade higher FPGA, thus making 2560x1440@60Hz more realistic goal. 1920x1080@120Hz is also on the cards although 280MHz IO is quite hard target for Cyclone V, but there is always the fallback option to TX pixel repetition (effectively 960x1080 with 2x horizontal integer scale) if it doesn't work reliably across the range of boards. To people who plan to push input side to the limits, it's worth remembering that both ADC and HDMI RX are specced to 165MHz so 2560x1440@60Hz via any input is unlikely to work, but 1920x1440@60Hz with reduced blanking should be OK as it's just 10% over the specs.
AyeYoYoYO wrote:
Will the OSSC Pro have a mode which can hit all of these points out the park?:

1. Flicker-free 480i upscaling
2. HQ4x+ Smoothing option
3. Operation under 1ms (original RetroTink2x classic did its thing in 0.053 ms)
As described in OP, there are 3 different operating modes which come with different features and limitations. Perhaps the following preliminary table of goals (i.e. don't expect everything to be implemented upon release) gives a better idea:



Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC Pro
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 5:51 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 May 2015
Posts: 260
BuckoA51 wrote:
I made a quick video of some of the OSSC pro's new features and posted it to my Youtube here:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THyhfHe5Jz0

I had missed this before, but a straight capture of motion adaptive deinterlacing with nearest neighbour scaling and no youtube compression would be nice to see. It'll happen eventually I'm sure, but with the 5X videos in the wild now, that's the comparison that matters most to me personally, if you get some time to try it out and have an appropriate capture card.

Regardless, appreciate the footage. Had forgotten some of the featureset, looks good.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC Pro
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:25 pm 



Joined: 03 Jul 2014
Posts: 54
marqs wrote:
ThaPhatCat wrote:
Hi marqs, from BuckoA51 YouTube video about OSSC Pro we do know that the hardware is finished, and you are working on firmware features. But I couldn't find a confirmation that you upgraded the HDMI TX chip to Sil1136 and bumped the FPGA to the next best thing to achieve 2560x1440@60Hz.

So is it Sil1136? If yes it would be awesome for other non retro gamer aplications - to broader it's potential market.
The latest prototype has Sil1136 and one speed grade higher FPGA, thus making 2560x1440@60Hz more realistic goal. 1920x1080@120Hz is also on the cards although 280MHz IO is quite hard target for Cyclone V, but there is always the fallback option to TX pixel repetition (effectively 960x1080 with 2x horizontal integer scale) if it doesn't work reliably across the range of boards. To people who plan to push input side to the limits, it's worth remembering that both ADC and HDMI RX are specced to 165MHz so 2560x1440@60Hz via any input is unlikely to work, but 1920x1440@60Hz with reduced blanking should be OK as it's just 10% over the specs.
AyeYoYoYO wrote:
Will the OSSC Pro have a mode which can hit all of these points out the park?:

1. Flicker-free 480i upscaling
2. HQ4x+ Smoothing option
3. Operation under 1ms (original RetroTink2x classic did its thing in 0.053 ms)
As described in OP, there are 3 different operating modes which come with different features and limitations. Perhaps the following preliminary table of goals (i.e. don't expect everything to be implemented upon release) gives a better idea:




BFI, interesting! Could this be used as a 1080p/120 output to get great BFI performance on a TV?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC Pro
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:54 pm 



Joined: 27 Sep 2019
Posts: 44
marqs wrote:
To people who plan to push input side to the limits, it's worth remembering that both ADC and HDMI RX are specced to 165MHz so 2560x1440@60Hz via any input is unlikely to work, but 1920x1440@60Hz with reduced blanking should be OK as it's just 10% over the specs.

I'm interested in pushing the limits by oversampling 240p sources like the SNES. I like to do 8x oversampling on the original OSSC to see subpixel artifacts in the signal, though the maximum active area is currently 1920 and I need 2048 to see the full frame. It looks like the Pro can realistically do 16x oversampling, but I don't know if any capture or display devices will be able to handle the oddball resolution. Looking forward to see what the Pro can do.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC Pro
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:56 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 29 Apr 2021
Posts: 28
How come no s-video support?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC Pro
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:26 pm 



Joined: 01 Mar 2018
Posts: 727
Odolwa wrote:
How come no s-video support?


I'd assume because it's a very limited use case and the RetroTink2x and Koryuu work well enough.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: OSSC Pro
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:00 pm 



Joined: 18 Sep 2014
Posts: 167
ldeveraux wrote:
Odolwa wrote:
How come no s-video support?


I'd assume because it's a very limited use case and the RetroTink2x and Koryuu work well enough.


Err... N64 is a very limited use case?


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: eightbitminiboss, Guspaz, tongshadow and 22 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group