shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu May 13, 2021 10:32 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: OSSC Pro
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:29 pm 

bobrocks95 wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:
“Covidnese” jfc dude, and then you go and have the audacity to be calling other people scumbags? Do you not have any second thoughts or remorse? People are being beat to shit/killed by thoughtless hatemongers every day, and your use of that word is feeding it.

brainlet take

In the US, plenty of anti-Chinese sentiment has popped up lately in the form of targeting Asian Americans in one way or another... Shootings, beatings, businesses going under because people thought (American) Chinese food would somehow automatically have covid in it... Hate the Chinese government/country all you want but no need to contribute to race-baiting vocab against people that have nothing to do with it.

Again, you're not going to PC me out of speaking against genocide and slavery being committed by asians. As for the new asian lives matter movement aka stop asian hate, it's being used to keep people from speaking out against china. Nothing more. I don't buy their propaganda about hate crimes. We're not all buying this leftist agenda, and to try to use these fake hate crime claims to keep people from criticizing china is so weak and pathetic.

It would be wrong of me not to point out the hypocrisy of people like you, but it's been almost 2 decades after 9/11 and Muslims and Arabs are still discriminated against in the open and suffer hate crimes in the U.S and elsewhere. I wonder why you have no issue with that happening for 20 years straight.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:03 pm 

bobrocks95 wrote:
ross wrote:
Not really sure how common a request this is, think I might have seen it mentioned once here earlier, but in case I'm misremembering something, has some kind of adjustable gamma boost functionality been considered as a potential feature here? Would be useful not just for scanlines on modern displays, but for compensating for loss of shadow detail when setting a lower black level on CRTs. The RTC2200 YPbPr to RGBHV converter had this built in, but it's pretty rare and hard to find these days. Seen some using the GammaX which is purely designed for making low end gamma adjustments, but having it as a feature here as an all in one solution would be pretty neat.

The pre-ADC Gain options already on the OSSC are good for brightening up a scanlined image, right? The rest you're talking about adjusting specific parts of the gamma curve?

It is. Bumping ADC gain a bit does help if you use all black scanlines. I wish there were separate ADC settings for scanlines on or off though. On Dreamcast I don't like scanlines on 480p contents, but I do on 240p, and with ADC increased I think the image is too bright in 480p mode.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:10 pm 

Konsolkongen wrote:
It is. Bumping ADC gain a bit does help if you use all black scanlines. I wish there were separate ADC settings for scanlines on or off though. On Dreamcast I don't like scanlines on 480p contents, but I do on 240p, and with ADC increased I think the image is too bright in 480p mode.

Profiles can help with that, you can have a profile for 240p content (with scanlines on and the ADC adjusted) and one for 480p content (with scanlines off and ADC stock).

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:39 pm 

fernan1234 wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
Great, except this also filters this very comment! Is there a way to filter only if the PITA is the message author?

The post gets filtered because it contains the keyword, and same with a post with a quote that includes it. But at that point you already have the filter working so it doesn't matter :lol: . Maybe someone can find a better filter setting, but it works well already and the more people use it the sooner this topic can move on.
If you happen to use Tapatalk on mobile, you can block folks from there and the block is honored even on the website. It comes in handy in cases like this.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:51 pm 

Lets talk adaptive timings.

With the previous OSSC you had to either look up FBX recommendations and or follow his video tutorial for proper chroma pixel landing for each resolution the system outputs and is sometimes set dependent.

With Mike Chi's claim of 'Adaptive timings' I have been hearing about on Facebook, I am interested to hear what features the OSSC pro has to ease the burden of profiling and calibrating each device.

It's probably been discussed but I was away from this site for a bit and and the thread is now 46 pages deep..

Can someone tell me what the magic of "adaptive timing" is without breaking an NDA?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:53 pm 

Guspaz wrote:
Konsolkongen wrote:

Profiles can help with that, you can have a profile for 240p content (with scanlines on and the ADC adjusted) and one for 480p content (with scanlines off and ADC stock).

That’s a good suggestion, but I already have all 16 profiles in use :) I think it would be neat if this could be automated with scanlines on/off.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:28 pm 

strygo wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
Great, except this also filters this very comment! Is there a way to filter only if the PITA is the message author?

The post gets filtered because it contains the keyword, and same with a post with a quote that includes it. But at that point you already have the filter working so it doesn't matter :lol: . Maybe someone can find a better filter setting, but it works well already and the more people use it the sooner this topic can move on.
If you happen to use Tapatalk on mobile, you can block folks from there and the block is honored even on the website. It comes in handy in cases like this.

This right here FTW. Back to OSSC Pro talk!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:12 am 

XSync-1 wrote:
Again, you're not going to PC me out of speaking against genocide and slavery being committed by asians. As for the new asian lives matter movement aka stop asian hate, it's being used to keep people from speaking out against china. Nothing more. I don't buy their propaganda about hate crimes. We're not all buying this leftist agenda, and to try to use these fake hate crime claims to keep people from criticizing china is so weak and pathetic.

It would be wrong of me not to point out the hypocrisy of people like you, but it's been almost 2 decades after 9/11 and Muslims and Arabs are still discriminated against in the open and suffer hate crimes in the U.S and elsewhere. I wonder why you have no issue with that happening for 20 years straight.

Kind of fucking batshit insane response here man. Why would you assume I'm okay with discrimination against Muslims??? Fake hate crimes????? Here's a Wikipedia article with literally 545 references you might want to take a look at. If you can take off your tinfoil hat for a couple of seconds, you might realize that you can still be critical of China without being a fucking moron on top of that. Christ.

Hoagtech wrote:

With the previous OSSC you had to either look up FBX recommendations and or follow his video tutorial for proper chroma pixel landing for each resolution the system outputs and is sometimes set dependent.

With Mike Chi's claim of 'Adaptive timings' I have been hearing about on Facebook, I am interested to hear what features the OSSC pro has to ease the burden of profiling and calibrating each device.

It's probably been discussed but I was away from this site for a bit and and the thread is now 46 pages deep..

Can someone tell me what the magic of "adaptive timing" is without breaking an NDA?

Mike did drop a little bit of info about it in the retrotink 5x thread- you select a sort of "base mode" in the menu saying which console you're using and then supposedly it does the rest. My concerns with what was shared so far were that it didn't look like all the consoles I'd want to use are supported (more could be added with firmware updates I assume though), and I don't know if it handles all resolutions that console can put out or if you have to for example with Genesis select between 256 and 320 line modes.

I'm generally a generic timings on the OSSC kind of person, setting the phase can really suck and I don't want to have to reference a list or sit there and guess what resolution the game I'm playing runs in. So I'm not getting the most out of my machine unfortunately.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:50 am 

Quote:
you can still be critical of China without being a fucking moron on top of that. Christ.

You can also take perfectly valid criticism of the Chinese government and use it to tar other people with the same brush, which is the impression I get from our angry friend here.

Quote:

Well we're still not sure how RetroTINK 5x is doing this. OSSC Pro can extrapolate as much information from the signal as any other device, and ways of automatically dialing in phase should be possible on the expanded hardware.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:13 pm 

bobrocks95 wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:
“Covidnese” jfc dude, and then you go and have the audacity to be calling other people scumbags? Do you not have any second thoughts or remorse? People are being beat to shit/killed by thoughtless hatemongers every day, and your use of that word is feeding it.

brainlet take

In the US, plenty of anti-Chinese sentiment has popped up lately in the form of targeting Asian Americans in one way or another... Shootings, beatings, businesses going under because people thought (American) Chinese food would somehow automatically have covid in it... Hate the Chinese government/country all you want but no need to contribute to race-baiting vocab against people that have nothing to do with it.

I really don't want to keep shitting up this thread so this will be the only post I make on the subject, but this "stop asian hate" thing is basically bullshit. All the highly publicized crimes that yielded the narrative were actually by all accounts, not racially motivated and/or crimes of opportunity. Making angry posts on the internet about china does not result in their expats being physically assaulted any more than playing shooter video games results in people being physically shot. (both zero for the dull crowd)

That being said I disavow any defense of xsync-1 and wish marqs the best of luck in getting his device manufactured anywhere he sees fit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:15 pm 

Any further discussion of politics, the Chinese, or Chinese politics is to take place in a thread created for that specific purpose in the Off Topic -subforum, not here.

My videos

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:10 pm 

Quote:
I really don't want to keep shitting up this thread

Could have fooled me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:45 pm 

Hoagtech wrote:

As of now Pro has a number of console-specific sampling presets such as SNES 256col, SNES 512col, MD 256col, MD 320col etc. End-user can just select a suitable preset from menu after which very little fine tuning is needed (mainly position, and occasionally phase). In some cases it'd be possible to create an "auto" preset for a console - for example MD 256/320col can be distinguished via hsync length (assuming there's no switch etc. on signal path that would alter it). However, there is no fully-automated adjustment at play that would magically calibrate each source, and I doubt such will get implemented in fw updates (anyone is free to try of course). Automatic clock and phase detection are nothing new among video frontends and same functionality could be built into Pro with some added intelligence, but like anyone who have used those features in monitors etc. knows, they are always more or less hit and miss.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:54 pm 

Guspaz wrote:
Bahn Yuki wrote:
1080i output since Mike Chi ridiculed people on Twitter for asking about it on the retrotink 5x. "No 1080i, no buy" is a campaign slogan I can get behind.

So, I'm not familiar with the particular tweets being referred to, but Mike has said here that the lack of interlacing support is an architectural limit that he might try to address in the future:

mikechi2 wrote:
Sorry, no 480p -> 480i. This is something in the back of my mind, but the architecture of the scaler isn't setup to produce interlaced sync yet haha. I would love to have this for watching movies, although I think (?) you can get commerical HDMI -> component dongles that can do this (?)
https://twitter.com/retrotink2/status/1381720223942811648?s=20

That was just today. He was actually kinder today about it. I made my reply earlier about it. "No 1080i, no buy". Since marqs said 1080i will be a feature, I'm buying the OSSC Pro.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:09 pm 

Wouldn't you be connecting it to a 4K TV? What's the use case for 1080i HDMI output? I can't think of any TV off the top of my head that accepts 1080i but not 240p.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:30 pm 

Guspaz wrote:
Wouldn't you be connecting it to a 4K TV? What's the use case for 1080i HDMI output? I can't think of any TV off the top of my head that accepts 1080i but not 240p.
Many Sony hd crts can be lagless in 1080i(toggle) HDPT) . For instance in my Sony 34xbr960,1080i is lagless in hdmi or component. 720p is 21ms in hdmi or component. Oddly enough 480p is 32ms in hdmi and 21ms in component. 240p doesn't work over hdmi and is 48ms over component.

What's nice is that ossc pro will provide a low lag(8ms) 1080p =>1080i conversion which really opens up what the tvs can do. I currently have an Atlona scaler that does this at the cost of 24ms. Nvidia dropped interlace resolutions with Turing gpus so this feature is a godsend.

For those curious, the PS5 still has 1080i support.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:40 pm 

Bahn Yuki wrote:

Why would you filter your PS5 through anything other than HDMI?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:55 pm 

Bahn Yuki wrote:
Guspaz wrote:
Bahn Yuki wrote:
1080i output since Mike Chi ridiculed people on Twitter for asking about it on the retrotink 5x. "No 1080i, no buy" is a campaign slogan I can get behind.

So, I'm not familiar with the particular tweets being referred to, but Mike has said here that the lack of interlacing support is an architectural limit that he might try to address in the future:

mikechi2 wrote:
Sorry, no 480p -> 480i. This is something in the back of my mind, but the architecture of the scaler isn't setup to produce interlaced sync yet haha. I would love to have this for watching movies, although I think (?) you can get commerical HDMI -> component dongles that can do this (?)
https://twitter.com/retrotink2/status/1381720223942811648?s=20

That was just today. He was actually kinder today about it. I made my reply earlier about it. "No 1080i, no buy". Since marqs said 1080i will be a feature, I'm buying the OSSC Pro.

I asked if the Morph would have 1080i but didn’t get a response. I’m getting a 34XBR960 next month (ISF calibrated no less!), and have a D24, so I am very interested in 1080i as an option.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:07 pm 

anexanhume wrote:
I asked if the Morph would have 1080i but didn’t get a response. I’m getting a 34XBR960 next month (ISF calibrated no less!), and have a D24, so I am very interested in 1080i as an option.

That is a very cool project, and it's got it's own thread. :wink:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:57 pm 

ldeveraux wrote:
Bahn Yuki wrote:

I don't understand this question. Can you please elaborate? My HD CRTs all have HDMI input.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:19 am 

Bahn Yuki wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
Bahn Yuki wrote:

I don't understand this question. Can you please elaborate? My HD CRTs all have HDMI input.

I guess the better question is why would you run a primarily 4K device on a 1080i screen?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:21 am 

Presumably because he doesn’t have to worry about lag and it would look great?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:02 am 

bobrocks95 wrote:
I guess the better question is why would you run a primarily 4K device on a 1080i screen?

I must admit I actually use my Oppo 203 and Ps4 Pro on my BVM-A24 on a daily basis. I only want one display in my living room and considering how much retro games I play, the BVM suits me perfectly as I can sit close to it. Don't have a PS5 but if I did chances are I'd use it on the Sony, at least sometimes.

But like you say, this is not really a route I'd recommend to an average gamer.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:19 pm 

Yeah my wording was perhaps improper. Why would you play a PS5 (or PS4 for that matter) on a CRT? Sure, because you can, but that's like people that play Doom on a graphing calculator. Just because it can be done absolutely doesn't mean it should be. I can't understand why you'd want to play a very non-retro system, built to run 1080p at the very minimal, on a 1080i smaller display. Unless you just want to keep all your gaming on a single screen, then it would make sense.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:31 pm 

ldeveraux wrote:
Yeah my wording was perhaps improper. Why would you play a PS5 (or PS4 for that matter) on a CRT? Sure, because you can, but that's like people that play Doom on a graphing calculator. Just because it can be done absolutely doesn't mean it should be. I can't understand why you'd want to play a very non-retro system, built to run 1080p at the very minimal, on a 1080i smaller display. Unless you just want to keep all your gaming on a single screen, then it would make sense.
The simplest answer: because it looks better. Here's a statement I'll say and you may or may not believe it but feel free to quote

"Cyberpunk 2077@1080i on my SONY 34XBR960 looks(no pixel grid, motion resolution, psycho rtx) and plays better(less lag at 60hz) than 4K on my 77C1 off my RTX 3070"

Yes I give up size going from 77" OLED to 34" CRT, but what I gain is going from playing on a TV screen to looking through a window. There is significantly more "depth" when playing on the crt that goes beyond what any of the spec sheets say.

I think folks are too fixated on resolutions. What would you rather have today? A 1440p OLED or a budget 4k LCD? Resolution alone doesn't define image quality.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:40 pm 

Bahn Yuki wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
The simplest answer: because it looks better. Here's a statement I'll say and you may or may not believe it but feel free to quote

"Cyberpunk 2077@1080i on my SONY 34XBR960 looks(no pixel grid, motion resolution, psycho rtx) and plays better(less lag at 60hz) than 4K on my 77C1 off my RTX 3070"

Yes I give up size going from 77" OLED to 34" CRT, but what I gain is going from playing on a TV screen to looking through a window. There is significantly more "depth" when playing on the crt that goes beyond what any of the spec sheets say.

I think folks are too fixated on resolutions. What would you rather have today? A 1440p OLED or a budget 4k LCD? Resolution alone doesn't define image quality.

I think you should have used a gaming example that was done properly, and 2077 ain't it. :wink:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:14 pm 

ldeveraux wrote:
Bahn Yuki wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:

I think you should have used a gaming example that was done properly, and 2077 ain't it. :wink:
I've been fortunate with the lack of glitches and RTX looks next gen. My statement stands for Doom Eternal. I will say that 4k@120hz does look really good on the 77C1. Unfortunately not many games are as optimized so 4k@120hz isn't prevalent yet.

If we go above 60hz my Apple Studio 21" looks pretty good at 1600x1200@85hz but we've derailed this thread enough already.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:31 pm 

My love affair with CRTs runs deep, but even I have to question how an XBR 34" @1080i could possibly match a 77" OLED running a 4K. :|

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:07 pm 

Josh128 wrote:
My love affair with CRTs runs deep, but even I have to question how an XBR 34" @1080i could possibly match a 77" OLED running a 4K. :|
Least you can question it without spending $3100 on a screen that gets bested by a 2006 TV in gaming.

C1 looks great for movies though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:27 pm 

Hello, thank you very much for this open source project. I am looking forward to buying one.

I wanted to comment that once the development is finished the name should be changed because right now models of the normal OSSC are being sold with the Pro name and the difference is that they have heatsinks to avoid heating problems I think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCSgQ_D5ag0

On the other hand, is the approximate price and date of departure of the new OSSC known? If time lacks, I would buy another console or expensive gadget in the meantime, otherwise I wait with my savings. ^^

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next