Genesis 2 w/ 32x - Triple Bypass Recommended?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
NoAffinity

Genesis 2 w/ 32x - Triple Bypass Recommended?

Post by NoAffinity »

I haven't found a clear answer. I just picked up a 32x and Genesis 2. Output for all Genesis and 32x gaming is coming from the 32x. Is the triple bypass for the Genesis 2 recommended?

Any other mods, for either the Genesis 2 or the 32x that are also recommended, in the interest of achieving best RGB video and stereo audio?
RGB0b

Re: Genesis 2 w/ 32x - Triple Bypass Recommended?

Post by RGB0b »

Well, your statement isn't quite true. Even though you're plugging the 32x into the Genesis and plugging the RGB cable into the 32x...all Genesis audio and video are still generated by the Genesis 2. By adding the 3BP to the Genesis console, you're getting the best A/V you can get, passed through the 32x. 32x games might still have some interference, but there's no solid fix for that right now, as there's a few issues with the 32x.

So yes, in my opinion, the 3BP is recommended for the Genesis 2, regardless of 32x use. The only time I wouldn't recommend installing the 3BP is if you need composite video, as that's disabled in most rev's.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Great, thanks retrorgb! Thats exactly what i needed to know.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Okay, now I need to ask for help on this I completed the mod. I completed the mod, and am getting beautful audio, but no video. This is confirmed by an OSSC and a GBS-8200 w/ CFW.

I followed the information on retrorgb (here) and the pictures for this VA1 motherboard (here), to the letter. I lifted pin 42 of the Sega 315-5660-02, and am feeding Triple Bypass sync in directly from pin 42. I lifted pins 10, 21, 22 and 23 on the CXA1145. I did not cut any traces because I lifted pin 42.

I have confirmed continuity from Triple Bypass RGBS outputs to the appropriate pins on the a/v output din connector. Below are pictures of the final product, if anyone can spot anything I did wrong.
Spoiler
My RGB cable is from Retro-Access, and is a "Genesis 2 32X/CDX RGB SCART cable with csync × 1 Multicore coax 5ft". I've been using it regularly with a PCE Core Grafx 2 w/ SSDS3 (using the SSDS3 output).
Link83

Post by Link83 »

I'm no expert on this mod so hopefully others can chime in, but according to the VA1 schematics there is still a 2.2K resistor labelled R48 connected to VCC on the CSYNC line (Located near CE11) It hasn't been removed on the retrorgb photos, but perhaps it should be?
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

I was wondering about that one too. Just tried removing it. No improvement.

Mobiusstriptech

Post by Mobiusstriptech »

Put pin 42 back down. You don't need to lift it on the Genesis 2.
For mod work and questions email us at mobiusstriptech@gmail.com

Twitter: @mobiusstriptech

Youtube: MobiusStripTech

NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Sure 'nuff. Thanks mobius!

Wow this thing looks and sounds fantastic now.

Curious, what is the bypass' sync circuit doing? Parallel sync paths is beyond the realm of my limited understanding.

Icelvlan

Post by Icelvlan »

Hello,

I have the same setup as you, but am seeing jail bars on white and light colours. Are you seeing this as well?
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Nope no jailbars whatsoever. Even before the mod, there were no jailbars and the picture looked pretty great. Slight video quality improvement with the mod, and the audio improvement is obvioulsy the most improved.

madhighgamer

Post by madhighgamer »

IV RECENTLY INSTALLed this mod and am having weird issues where the game freezes. the jailbars are gone for the most part, like mentioned above seems to be on lighter colors and theyre faint. also seems to be some weird audio issues. sometimes audio cuts off while playing and just left w sound effects lol def some distortion from being too loud at times. lol ill add some pics and vids in a bit. oh yea and when i play slaughterhouse 2 are 3 the video goes nuts, garbles and mashes up big time. has me baffled bigtime...
madhighgamer

Post by madhighgamer »

madhighgamer wrote:IV RECENTLY INSTALLed this mod and am having weird issues where the game freezes. the jailbars are gone for the most part, like mentioned above seems to be on lighter colors and theyre faint. also seems to be some weird audio issues. sometimes audio cuts off while playing and just left w sound effects lol def some distortion from being too loud at times. lol ill add some pics and vids in a bit. oh yea and when i play slaughterhouse 2 are 3 the video goes nuts, garbles and mashes up big time. has me baffled bigtime...

so after a bunch of troubleshooting i gave up and said screw it ill take most the games looking great and installed a wired reset button lol after i get everything put together the freezing up is gone! but the slaughterhouse 2/3 issues persist but arent as bad, sometimes it plays others it glitches up bad but if u make it to the next transistion screen they unglitch. really weird but i chalk it up to interferance. the audio stuff has corrected as well, so theres major interferance possibilities. i had a fan next to where i was testing as well as plug socket with a few power supplies that couldve been intefering. iv tried to get those freeze screens to show u guys but shes purring! have a good day. i can get pics of slaughterhouse messing up if anyone wants,lmk