Wiring a stick with mc cthulhu, genesis and neo geo support

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
RottenToTheGore

Wiring a stick with mc cthulhu, genesis and neo geo support

Post by RottenToTheGore »

IFixRetro had a old post on twitter that showed a setup like this, but I wasn't able to figure out how he wired up everything. I asked him a few questions but I still wasn't getting it through my thick skull, so I thought I'd ask here.

Hopefully I'm on the right track, so I'll post my gameplan and see if anyone can let me know if something is wrong with it.

The majority of systems work with the MC Cthulhu. Which the buttons and stick signals would go into the screw down terminals, and I'd solder an RJ45 connector from the output points on the MC Cthulhu (There's 3 rows for this, in front of the USB jack)

I know for Genesis support, I can padhack a controller. I would take the button signals and solder them to the extra points on the MC Cthulhu, the A-H/1-9 points. Then the output from the controller pcb would go to a 9 pin d sub connector.

The Neo Geo part is where I get a little confused. I know the signals are what I guess I'd call 1 to 1 (Up is pin 15 for example). In that the button and stick signals are directly connected to the output to a DB15. But I'm not completely sure where to wire it up from.

I have some terminal barrier strips that I got from focus attack some time ago that I think might be useful here. Could I connect the button and stick signals to one side, and then 2 wires from the other side to have one set going to the MC Cthulhu screw down terminals and the other set to the DB15 connector? Maybe I can skip this step and do the same thing with the terminals on the MC Cthulhu but if this will work it might make things a little cleaner.

So yeah, what do you think sirs? Anything I'm missing?

Also, does anyone know if I can update the MC with an RJ45 to USB cable? I'd rather do that than having to open it to plug in the USB cable.
NoAffinity

Re: Wiring a stick with mc cthulhu, genesis and neo geo supp

Post by NoAffinity »

It might be easier to avoid using the cthulhu as a hub. Just wire directions/buttons 3 ways from each, to the appropriate input on the respective pcb. Be sure to power and ground all boards simultaneously.

Also, word to the wise on genesis padhacks, only trust oem, model number mk-16**. Other official models and 3rd party produce undesirable results when hacked.

The usb connection on the cthulhu is for update only, and the rj45 connection is for signal only.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
RottenToTheGore

Post by RottenToTheGore »

Thanks for the help!
NoAffinity wrote:It might be easier to avoid using the cthulhu as a hub. Just wire directions/buttons 3 ways from each, to the appropriate input on the respective pcb. Be sure to power and ground all boards simultaneously.
So in this case with the terminal strips I have, connect all the directions/buttons to one end and then 3 sets of wires going to the different pcbs? Cthulhu, Genesis and straight to the db15 port (Neo Geo is passive)

I know I'd have ground connections from the directions/buttons, but where would I get power?
Also, word to the wise on genesis padhacks, only trust oem, model number mk-16**. Other official models and 3rd party produce undesirable results when hacked.
Damn, was hoping I wouldn't have to hack up a good controller. But that's good to know.
The usb connection on the cthulhu is for update only, and the rj45 connection is for signal only.
Gotcha. It's rare that I'll probably have to update and it's easy to open the stick so I'll leave that as is.

Thanks again!
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I don’t think new firmware has been released for the Cthulhu since he added DC support. I don’t he will ever do more with it :)
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Each pcb has 5v and ground from the console. You want to make sure these are continuous within the stick (all 5v connections are inter-connected, all ground connections are inter-connected). At the same time, probably best to never plug in more than one at a time.

/\ good point. Update the cthulhu before closing up the stick. Youll never need to update again.

Star1

Post by Star1 »

You don't HAVE to hack a Genesis pad. As long as the 3 button controller is enough, you could make the circuit using a total of two components, resistor array, and an IC
https://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=con ... ntroller_3
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Also, dont foget about the handful genesis of games that have problems with the 6 button controller or use select. If going with a six button setup and you intend to play any of those games, you'll need to connect select.