Samsung SERO -Has the Perfect TATE Self Rotating TV Arrived?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Muzza

Samsung SERO -Has the Perfect TATE Self Rotating TV Arrived?

Post by Muzza »

Announced at CES 2020

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/5/21050 ... -sero-tv-r

LOL.. Designed for Instagram and mobile phone mirroring, why they didn't mention perfect for shmups is beyond me.

43inches. Only edge lit though.
To pull off its clever rotating design, the Sero has an integrated, non-removeable stand that includes a 4.1-channel, 60-watt speaker system inside. That stand provides enough vertical clearance to prevent the TV from hitting the floor whenever it flips into portrait.
Ji-L87

Re: Samsung SERO -Has the Perfect TATE Self Rotating TV Arri

Post by Ji-L87 »

Oh hm, that's not what I expected to see announced CES. Hopefully it is at least a half-decent piece of kit although the originally intended use case is worrying.
CHECKPOINT!
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

If it was OLED, maybe. Also, still too small for a main TV. Literally everybody I know (and their mothers –and grandparents lol–) have at least a 50" TV anymore.
Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

Dochartaigh wrote:If it was OLED, maybe. Also, still too small for a main TV. Literally everybody I know (and their mothers –and grandparents lol–) have at least a 50" TV anymore.
I doubt it's intended as someone's main TV, unless it's aimed at people living in smaller apartments. While big TVs absolutely is the way to go, 50" + would be very cumbersome if vertically oriented. OLED would also drive the price way up for what is a kinda gimmicky product.
CHECKPOINT!
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Dochartaigh wrote:If it was OLED, maybe. Also, still too small for a main TV. Literally everybody I know (and their mothers –and grandparents lol–) have at least a 50" TV anymore.
Your pool of people you know must be too small to be representative. It's probably because I haven't bothered getting a new one in some time, but my current living room TV is 32", and the largest in the house is 40".

As for the Sero, I would reserve judgement until it could be tested for lag. It's entirely possible Samsung will just throw their shittiest panel onto it and call it a day, because it has an auto-rotate gimmick.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

nmalinoski wrote:Your pool of people you know must be too small to be representative. It's probably because I haven't bothered getting a new one in some time, but my current living room TV is 32", and the largest in the house is 40".
Lol. Just my immediate family alone wouldn't be exactly be called small. I'm one of 18 cousins. Just the grandparents down there's 60 of us. 26 different households (yes, I counted ;). Haven't seen a tiny 32" or 40" TV in years – unless you count computer monitors. In fact I just checked and by me (Philly/NYC area) people are giving away working ~30, 32, 36", 42"+ flatscreens for free on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace since they're considered antiquated (no offense meant, but I simply assume if I see working ones for free pretty commonly that's what other people think of them).

That's not even getting into the probably 100+ friends and friends of family members whose houses I've been to in the last couple years...

Also found this saying average in US is 48" (so not far off from the 50" I've observed myself).
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Muzza wrote:Announced at CES 2020
Announced for global markets more precisely, since I remember reading about it several months ago I was confused.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

The fancy motorized hi-fi stand and the little tweaks to the firmware they had to make probably make up for 80% of the cost/price, while the TV itself could very well be low end crap indeed lol.
Just for being a 'special' product package with a gimmick it will be ridiculously overpriced anyway.

It would be interesting though to find if the stand can be bought and operated separately from the TV, even if even as a part I don't expect the price to be any reasonable.

I mock the thing but options for rotating stands and mounts that can accomodate large screens are so scarce and pathetic for us shmuppers that any existing option above 27" is kinda welcome.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Xyga wrote:I mock the thing but options for rotating stands and mounts that can accomodate large screens are so scarce and pathetic for us shmuppers that any existing option above 27" is kinda welcome.
More than a few options out there actually – that topic is a recent post about what people use. I'm using two rotating TV mounts myself right now - one for a lighter LCD up to 55 pounds, and another larger one I bought for my plasma which does up to 90" and 200 pounds!
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I have non-fixed stuff in mind, non-wall-mounted. There options are very limited. Even just 32" rotating stands are not found everywhere, for larger displays you have to consider working custom combinations (like cart + rotating bracket). Manufacturers lack imagination so even though products are plenty, it's a desert when rotation comes into play.

PS: most carts suck btw, if you really want your ideal stand w/ rotation it's almost better to imagine something mostly DIY.
Something like the SERO stand but larger can be assembled from a manutention chariot + a stand/arm and rotating bracket attached to it...but no motorized stuff unless you want to make yours. ^^
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
coderkind

Post by coderkind »

The Sero looks very interesting to me; not necessarily interested in wall mounting my TV either. In my experience, Samsungs have tended to play nicely with things like the OSSC/GBA Consolizer.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

coderkind wrote:The Sero looks very interesting to me; not necessarily interested in wall mounting my TV either. In my experience, Samsungs have tended to play nicely with things like the OSSC/GBA Consolizer.
My experience has been the opposite, though my testing has been limited to a LN32B360, circa 2009. That display only works with line2x and passthrough; if I want to use any other line multiplication modes, I need to run the OSSC's output through my Extron DSC 301 HD.
ahlnold

Post by ahlnold »

I'm curious if anyone has tried tate mode on the Samsung Sero. Does it work with consoles? In my case I would be using a Switch...
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

not out of the box. I bought the TV when it was on sale earlier this year (plus they gave away a free $400 mobile phone with them).

The "tate" mode is only available for that "mobile extension screen function", but I plan to mod the set and put a manual switch onto that rotation mechanism. Can't be too hard.
ahlnold

Post by ahlnold »

That's a shame! Would love to know if you mod it! Thanks for the reply
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Samsung secretly released a firmware update for the SERO in december, which now allows to display a HDMI source in vertical screen orientation. TATE gaming ftw :mrgreen:
ahlnold

Post by ahlnold »

THIS! I got one a year ago and now my dream has come true!
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

The remote seems to have a "rotate" button, does that just not do anything if you have it set to a hdmi source pre-update?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

if you rotated, it would default to mobile mirroring at the same time.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Dang this set is expensive for what seems to be a mediocre panel. It's not even flicker free below the highest brightness setting...
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

it is, yes. Especially compared to the sale (when I got one) where it was something like 670 EUR and you got a free 300 EUR mobile phone along with it for free. In the end it's a curiosity, but the rotation mechanism is cool as f**k and the sound system is really good.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

$1,000 USD on slashed clearance prices for the US right now on the 43", plus like $90 shipping it looked like. That happens to be about $100 more than I paid for my 55" B9 OLED plus a Yamaha receiver... I'd pick up a cheap one as a curiosity but I don't think they'll ever hit those prices.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
brentsg

Re: Samsung SERO -Has the Perfect TATE Self Rotating TV Arrived?

Post by brentsg »

This is down to $750 in the USA on Woot.

https://electronics.woot.com/offers/new ... eries-tv-8
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game