Looking for a decent HDMI splitter/switcher type unit

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
gordonfish

Looking for a decent HDMI splitter/switcher type unit

Post by gordonfish »

Hi. I am a technical person though I'm not the most experienced when it comes to HDMI. I know how to hook it up generally, but I haven't dealt with switchers or splitters. I'm trying to find a decent solution that isn't too pricey. Something less than $100 if that's at all realistic.

What I want to find is something that will allow me to connect an PS2 (via an OSSC) and a PS4 slim on the input side, and a 1080 LCD TV and PC (via HDMI capture card) the output side. Having an extra input or two wouldn't hurt for future possibilities, but at the bare minimum, I need just two for that pair of consoles.

I want to be able to separately set which console goes directly to the TV and which goes to the PC, but I'm also concerned with introducing input vs video lag, as from what I know, any switcher/cloner type device has to do some processing... so I'd need something that has minimal impact. On the capture card side, I selected one that is said to have practically no lag on it's side.

It'd also be nice if the splitter/switcher device could also accept HDCP without generating it on the output side, if possible, if only because I've heard that HDCP can sometimes cause problems with capture cards.

So far I've come across devices like this https://www.amazon.com/AV-Access-Matrix ... B01EV3LMBW but it seems really iffy and appears to lack some HDMI specifications that makes me a tad weary.

Thanks for any advice.
gordonfish

Re: Looking for a decent HDMI splitter/switcher type unit

Post by gordonfish »

Thanks, though those all seem to be either single output devices or simple 1 in, 2 out (or bi-directional) switchers.

I was hoping to able to control which input goes to which output, such as 1) one console to one of the outputs and the other console to the other output, or 2) one console via both outputs even.
nmalinoski

Re: Looking for a decent HDMI splitter/switcher type unit

Post by nmalinoski »

gordonfish wrote:
Thanks, though those all seem to be either single output devices or simple 1 in, 2 out (or bi-directional) switchers.

I was hoping to able to control which input goes to which output, such as 1) one console to one of the outputs and the other console to the other output, or 2) one console via both outputs even.
Multiple inputs to multiple outputs would be a matrix switcher. I don't think DirkSwizzler had an application for one, hence the lack of recommendation for such a unit.

You're probably going to be on your own as far as recommendations go, so I would recommend buying units from Amazon; you'll be able to get a unit, try it out, and return without much hassle it if it doesn't work properly with your setup.