Possible to use single controller for all consoles?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
sofakng

Possible to use single controller for all consoles?

Post by sofakng »

I've started to build a sizable collection of retro gaming consoles (nes, snes, n64, gamecube, wii, genesis, neo geo [super gun], etc) and each console requires it's own controller.

Are there any products that allow you to use one controller on all consoles?

It looks like the RetroPad32 is the only product that exists but it's a bit expensive and requires changing cables, etc.

I'm just wondering if anything else exists (open source?) or any other alternatives.
Taiyaki

Re: Possible to use single controller for all consoles?

Post by Taiyaki »

Personally I'd never want to do that in a million years, but it's an interesting idea.

Theoretically it can be done, but you'd need adapters for each system. You can probably start off with either a PS2 or PS4 controller since they have the most for those, and buy adapters that convert your PS2/4 controller to each and every other system. For some systems you might need to have them made by some skilled modder in the community if you can find someone willing to do it, as I don't think they have them for every single system out there.

On a funny note though, If someone invited me over to play a Sega Saturn game and they handed me a PS2 controller I'd feel insulted lol.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

There is no one controller that is appropriate for all systems. There are controllers where you can get away with using the same controller for most systems, like a DS4, but you'd never be able to use that for something like the Wii, which has very specific requirements and hardware involving infrared cameras and emitters, and it wouldn't be ideal for the N64, which is just too different of a layout and button setup.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Your probably thinking of something else but in regards to Arcade Joysticks you can use the Brooks Retro Board paired with the Universal Fight Board.

Allows you to use it on almost all consoles available. :wink:
headlesshobbs

Post by headlesshobbs »

What about retro consoles like PS2-1, XBOX, etc?

I'm sure some of them will need adapters if it's possible.
"Don't HD my SD!!"
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

headlesshobbs wrote:What about retro consoles like PS2-1, XBOX, etc?

I'm sure some of them will need adapters if it's possible.
To use the console of your choice with the Brooks Retro Board you just need the cable for that specific console. They are all sold separately and cost around 12$ each.

Look it up you'll find all the information you need.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

I did and it indeed seems to be a really interesting PCB:

https://arcadeshock.com/products/brook-retro-board

However I couldn't find some questions answered, so I'll leave them here in case somebody knows:

> Has it been confirmed that it doesn't add any delay by itself, no matter the system in use?

> Which API does it use for Windows/USB? And what's its polling rate there?

> Best way to order it (and the system cables) from Europe?

I'm not sure if it's ultimately better than MC Cthulhu Multi-console PCB by Toodles, to be honest.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:I did and it indeed seems to be a really interesting PCB:

https://arcadeshock.com/products/brook-retro-board

However I couldn't find some questions answered, so I'll leave them here in case somebody knows:

> Has it been confirmed that it doesn't add any delay by itself, no matter the system in use?

> Which API does it use for Windows/USB? And what's its polling rate there?

> Best way to order it (and the system cables) from Europe?

I'm not sure if it's ultimately better than MC Cthulhu Multi-console PCB by Toodles, to be honest.
I was actually just using it right now. Was playing Rival School's on Playstation 2 with the kids.

I don't notice any lag at all and I'm also playing on a CRT TV.

I wouldn't doubt that they would falsely advertise input delay. Seems very responsive to me.

Regarding the API polling question I don't know to be honest.

Probably just grab it on arcade shock as you can grab everything you need all in one place. Shipping is a bit expensive though about 40$ USD

If you do want the Universal Fight Board make sure to buy the ones with per-installed headers and buy the 20 Pin Multiplier kit with it as that would make installing super easy.

Grab the cables you want for whatever retro consoles you want to use it and you should be all set.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

According to Arcade Shock themselves, the Brook Retro Board doesn't have any lag whatsoever.

Am not sure about the answers to questions #2 & #3.

I bought two of the Brook Retro Boards myself and it works like a charm, especially with the classic NEC PC Engine and TurboGrafx-16 consoles.

You could ask Arcade Shock if they do international shipping from the USA to Europe.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Thanks for the replies, guys. Perhaps the most important thing to address for me though is which Playstation protocol does it use (original PS1 digital, Dual Shock, Dual Shock 2...), given that I use many adaptors for this system's controller, and not everything works just fine.

Once you have it all wired and set, is it possible to remap button assignments without too much hassle?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Maybe look at getting a MiSTer setup?
Will do many consoles, per console mapping and a single controller.