DB15(VGA) to YPbPr component transcoder

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
deezdrama

DB15(VGA) to YPbPr component transcoder

Post by deezdrama »

Building an emulation PC and need to get the analog signal from my AMD gpu to my panasonic crt's component input.

All the transcoders Ive seen suggested are sold out or not available anymore. Was even going to go with a vga to scart cable and a RGB2COMP but this is even "sold out" and dont know if hes making more.

Anyone know of a high quality vga db15 to YPbPr component transcoder thats available right now?

Should I just RGB mod my crt? Whats my options?
Last edited by deezdrama on Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
parodius

Re: DB15 to component transcoder

Post by parodius »

Do you mean, one that is still sold new today ?
Do you need 15khz support with c-sync, or only 31khz with h/v sync ?

Shameless plug - I have a Micomsoft X-Select D4 for sale, check my sig.

Edit : just read your post again, if you just need c-sync 15khz that might be overkill.

How about a HD Retrovision cable with one of the adapters they are selling, and then hack the adapter for db15 ?
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

DE-15/DB15 is a type of cable, not a type of signal; and "component" could mean either; so we need more information.

Did you mean you need an RGB to YPbPr transcoder, hence the RGB2COMP? Could you describe the setup you're trying to create? (Multiple consoles to one device, or just one device?) Which devices are you looking to hook up to your display and how? (Consoles? PCs? And which one(s) specifically?)
orange808

Post by orange808 »

For what it's worth:

Kramer, Folson, Barco, Sony, Christie and Extron call YPbPr "component". Component has become the accepted name for YPbPr. When all the gear manufacturers agree on the term, the argument is essentially over. :) It's not ambiguous anymore.

----------

@deezdrama:
Can you tell us a little more about the source and the display? I'm not sure what you are trying to do. :(
We apologise for the inconvenience
deezdrama

Post by deezdrama »

Sorry.... I had another thread on here about the setup Im trying to accomplish and been posting there about this because I forgot I made this thread specifically about the transcoder.

Im building a emulation pc using and using an AMD R9 380 gpu to feed video out through dvi-i/vga to get analog signal and need to connect to the component input of my CRT using crt-emudriver.

All the transcoders Ive seen mentioned have been impossible for me to find.
The retrotek is one ive looked for, and looked at the rgb2comp. Couldnt find either one anywhere. rgb2comp is sold out and dont know if hes making more. Then there was a guy on one of these forums who made and sold good ones but his ebay link brings up an error now.
Just searched for the Audio Authority 9A60A-b VGA to Component Converter and there is none on ebay and discontinued/sold out on their website.

This is only thing I can find and from the reviews- all the pots need adjusted
https://www.amazon.com/SPECIALTY-AV-SCA ... 662&sr=8-2

and then use one of these...
https://www.amazon.com/PRO-SIGNAL-SCART ... 737&sr=8-7

with this connected to the gpu...

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Converter ... 797&sr=8-6

Its looking like this is my only option, unless anyone knows of any online supplier who still has the audio authority transcoder
Last edited by deezdrama on Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

the Audio Authority will work but it doesn't accept RGBS stock. At least I couldn't get 240p RGBS to work on it(even with clean sync), and a couple people on this board had the same problem I did.

I think it expects RGBHV. Since your outputting from a PC, you could certainly use that

I remember someone here getting it to work with 240p, so it should be doable. but I think he either modded it to accept RGBS, or combined the sync signal before going into the transcoder

Anyway, I might be remembering all wrong but : do a bit of research on it first, is what I'm saying. to make sure it'll work in your setup.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
deezdrama

Post by deezdrama »

So the one I linked will likely have problems outputting 240p signal like the audio authority unit?

Its a shame there isnt more options for this. Makes me want to just rgb mod my tv.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Oh sorry I didn't checked the ones you linked. I wasn't talking about them, just the AA.

Your amazon links don't work for me, but I see the name "SPECIALTY AV" in there so that's the good old generic SCART-to-component CSY-2000 clone. It can be tweaked to look nice apparently, someone on here made a guide to show how to calibrate it using an oscilloscope. In stock form, it can be not so great(at least mine wasn't), it can depend, some have had better luck. either way you can try adjusting the pots inside to tweak it's picture, but eyeballing it is really though, it's recommendend to calibrate it using a reference. I'm sure the 240p test suite's color bars pattern could helps to get a good starting point, as an alternative.

If you're considering a SCART one, the Shinybow SB-2840 is apparently very nice. A decent price too, but the shipping is pretty outrageous if you're not living in the continental United States : https://www.ani-av.com/shop/product_inf ... cts_id=220

But I hope you'll find a transcoder with a DE-15 plug
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

deezdrama wrote:All the transcoders Ive seen mentioned have been impossible for me to find.
The retrotek is one ive looked for, and looked at the rgb2comp. Couldnt find either one anywhere.
Here's the Retrotek one. I believe this is the same guy that used to sell his product on eBay before migrating to his own site. Searching "Retrotek transcoder" on Google should get you his site.
deezdrama

Re: DB15(VGA) to YPbPr component transcoder

Post by deezdrama »

I remember seeing that one now but didnt know if it was legit.

So looks like I have my choice between it and the Audio Authority 9A60 someone on here has offered to sell me.
The 9A60 is supposedly better?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Mike Chi from Retrotink is also working on one, the RGB2COMP, so if you're not in a dire need to get one immediately, it might be worth waiting for that.

https://www.retrotink.com/product-page/rgb2comp
deezdrama

Post by deezdrama »

Guspaz wrote:Mike Chi from Retrotink is also working on one, the RGB2COMP, so if you're not in a dire need to get one immediately, it might be worth waiting for that.

I was under the assumption that he already released a batch of those and now they were sold out? I watched several youtube vids about them unless they were gifted them for reviews
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

deezdrama wrote:
Guspaz wrote:Mike Chi from Retrotink is also working on one, the RGB2COMP, so if you're not in a dire need to get one immediately, it might be worth waiting for that.

I was under the assumption that he already released a batch of those and now they were sold out? I watched several youtube vids about them unless they were gifted them for reviews
I got my RGB2COMP in the fall and it's great, it's been reviewed better than the Shinybow I think. Cheaper too. I assume he's making more as most users would recommend it.
ChuChu Flamingo

Post by ChuChu Flamingo »

Any good recommendations for a VGA to Scart Cable with a audio breakout? It would be hooked up to a SB-2840 RGB to component adapter going to a CRT via crtemudriver for 240p 15 khz. Essentially I would be using it for groovymame.

I ask because a lot of the current ones seem to not explain things in great detail.

The graphics card I have right now is an AMD 6450, the one calamity recommends. If im understanding right the HD 6450 outputs RGBHV, but can have Csync enabled with a hack. With this in mind I assume it is TTL logic sync and needs to be attenuated for consumer equipment.

The only problem is none of the solutions above really state if they do that. They just kinda assume you plug shit in and if it works all is kosher which is obviously not the case. Two+ years ago everyone flipped the fug out over incorrect voltages in scart cables on here. TTL voltages will easily kill a Gscart Lite,OSSC, and potentially the SB 2840 rgb to component adapter. Just trying to prevent this.

My setup is a GSCART Lite ---> ShinyBow SB-2840 RGB to component converter ---> GCompswitch component switch ----> Sony Wega Component.

The whole goal is to plug into a GSCART Lite safely.

1.)So I assume I might need a RGBHV to Component adapter instead of directly interfacing with my Sb-2840 RGB to component adapter. Would an Extron suffice? Not sure what model though.

2.)If I do need a RGBHV to component transcoder, what cable would I use then?

3.)If I can output CSYNC over VGA, can't I just connect it directly to the GSCART via a VGA to Scart cable? IF so doesn't that need to be attenuated with a resistor to bring it down to 75 ohms? What would the value even be.

Im basically trying to accomplish what wavebeam did below except on a consumer tv. Except he connected it directly to a professional grade monitor which doesn't care about voltages.

http://wavebeam.blogspot.com/2016/02/th ... plays.html

Thanks.
deezdrama

Post by deezdrama »

The audio authority a member offered to sell me is overseas and worried about customs/delays etc so still on the hunt :(

Ive found a Key Digital KD-VTCA3 - Anyone know anything about these?

Is there any benefit/negatives going a similar route that the above poster is going?
vga to component transcoder ..... vs .....vga to scart to component?
rama

Post by rama »

ChuChu Flamingo:
You can and should use a VGA to SCART cable, using CSync from your AMD card.
But as you said, you must attenuate the CSync!
How you do that depends on how the cable is built, but it's usually very simple with just a series resistor of around 470 to 680 Ohm.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Used gear is a hassle. I think OP might be happier with a brand new product with a warranty. The Shinybow and RGB2COMP are good solutions for SCART to component--and you can buy them brand new in the box.
We apologise for the inconvenience
deezdrama

Post by deezdrama »

Scoured the internet and finally found a companys website that supposedly still carried these. I hope its true because just paid $140 shipped for the 9A60 with vga cord and power supply.
I can finally stop obsessing over finding one now lol.

Anything else I need to know? Do I need to do any modding to get the right sync signal from my AMD R9 380?
Isnt there a crt-emudriver tutorial on here somewhere? I cant find it

Thanks everyone for recommending the AA9A60!
deezdrama

Post by deezdrama »

Ok, Ive done some reading on the different sync types.

I wasnt aware that component was actually Luma+sync, blue/luma, and red/luma and that green was calculated from what was left over from blue and red. I assumed it was RBG (signal noob )

And if I understand right.... VGA carries separate H and V syncs.

So am I right in assuming the Audio Authority 9A60 transcoder I ordered will combine the vga's seperate H/V syncs and put them on Y luma on the component output and I shouldnt have anything else to do besides set up crt-emudriver to output 15-kHz signal and set super resolutions?

Thanks for bearing with me....I just got into retro gaming and analog signal terminology and crt's.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

deezdrama wrote:Ok, Ive done some reading on the different sync types.

I wasnt aware that component was actually Luma+sync, blue/luma, and red/luma and that green was calculated from what was left over from blue and red. I assumed it was RBG (signal noob )

And if I understand right.... VGA carries separate H and V syncs.

So am I right in assuming the Audio Authority 9A60 transcoder I ordered will combine the vga's seperate H/V syncs and put them on Y luma on the component output and I shouldnt have anything else to do besides set up crt-emudriver to output 15-kHz signal and set super resolutions?

Thanks for bearing with me....I just got into retro gaming and analog signal terminology and crt's.
yes that should be all you need to do
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

deezdrama wrote:And if I understand right.... VGA carries separate H and V syncs.
The simple explanation is yes.

The more complicated explanation (which, to be honest, has no real bearing on your situation and you can probably safely ignore), is that "VGA" can refer to the cable (DE-15), the VGA standard used by PCs (640x480 video mode in RGB, separate sync, over DE-15 cable), RGBHV at 31kHz or more, or just RGBHV, depending on who you ask and the context of the discussion.

One area in which this tends to pop up is discussion on the Dreamcast output, which will often be referred to as "VGA", because it can output 31kHz modes in RGBHV over a DE-15/VGA cable; but it outputs DTV 480p (consumer video 720x480), not VGA 640x480; and it also outputs 240p/480i in RGBHV, which would not be compatible with VGA-compliant displays (15kHz would be too low for PC monitors expecting 30~31kHz minimum).
deezdrama

Post by deezdrama »

Well... Its been a few days since ive ordered the audio authority 9a60 from a company called Pacific Custom Cables Inc.
Ive got no email or tracking number, my bank account hasnt had the funds taken out for the transcoder.
I looked the place up and it has alot of less than good reviews :(
Cant even find a contact email so will have to call.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Were they guaranteed in stock or were they selling stuff they had to backorder? I think even a couple years ago you could still find refurbished ones that Audio Authority themselves would send back to the market, but a quick look the other day for you came up with nothing, and not only that but it looks like one hasn't sold in the last 3 months on auctions either. Big shift from just a few years ago.
deezdrama

Post by deezdrama »

Yep.... Got an email that the 9a60 is discontinued. Why the hell dont they take it off their website then.

Noones used a Key Digital KD-VTCA3, or a Calrad 40-480?

https://www.store.calrad.com/40-480

Image Image

40-480 | VGA to Component Video converter box with Audio, convert XGA (VGA /SVGA/XGA/SXGA) to (Y,Pb,Pr ) video, allowing connection of PC based devices for viewing on high definition component video displays. Settings include brightness, contrast, color saturation and hue. Select 4:3, 16:9 or full screen display modes. Both PC and MAC Computers are supported. Standard resolutions are 480p, 720p, 1080i. Includes: 5Vdc, 1Amp power supply, 3 ft. VGA and Component video cables.

Specifications:
Video Input: 1 x Female VGA Jack
Video Output: 1 x Female VGA Jack (Loop Out), Component Video (Y, Pb, Pr) Output
Video Impedance: 75 ohm
Audio Input: 3.5mm Stereo Jack
Audio Output: Left and Right (Analog Audio), 3.5mm Stereo Jack
Video Support: 480p, 720p, 1080i (50/60Hz), 640x480@60/75Hz, 800x600@60/75Hz, 1024x768@60/75Hz, 1280x1024@60Hz
Front Panel Settings: Power ON/OFF, SD/HD, MODE
Front Panel Power L.E.D.: Green
Power Adapter Output: DC 5V/1A
Dimension: 128.0mm (L) x 94.0mm (W) x 34.0mm (H)
Color: Black
Last edited by deezdrama on Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

deezdrama wrote:Yep.... Got an email that the 9a60 is discontinued. Why the hell dont they take it off their website then.
To be fair, you can't easily navigate to it from their home page, and it's very helpful to keep data for discontinued products on the web for the people that need it. Simply deleting product information from a corporate website is a customer-hostile action and drives people to other resources (Read: bad for business).

I think some of their pages have links to newer/updated products, but that may be one of the ones that they don't have a good replacement for, because analogue video is obsolete, and they clearly don't cater to us retro gamers/gaming enthusiasts--hell, they barely make video processing gear these days.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Why doesn’t the OP just buy a HDMI to component transcoder? Why use the vga out?
What am I missing?
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

strayan wrote:Why doesn’t the OP just buy a HDMI to component transcoder? Why use the vga out?
What am I missing?
It's for groovymame I think. He probably has put in a video card with vga out only.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Taiyaki wrote:
strayan wrote:Why doesn’t the OP just buy a HDMI to component transcoder? Why use the vga out?
What am I missing?
It's for groovymame I think. He probably has put in a video card with vga out only.
He said he’s using a R9 380 which almost certainly has an HDMI port.
deezdrama

Post by deezdrama »

I thought hdmi to component would introduce a bunch of lag from the digital to analog conversion and not produce 240p resolutions?

Why is everyone using crt-emulator and these transcoders if all is needed is a simple hdmi to component converter?
All the reading ive done says you dont want to use digital converted signals, im new to all this and you got me feeling like I wasted money on this old amd card.
I thought analog , crt-emudriver or similar video card drivers, and setting all your super resolutions was only way to get lag free, 240p on the crt???

I also ended up buying one of those calrad transcoders on ebay. Hope that works and didnt waste more money
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

deezdrama wrote:I thought hdmi to component would introduce a bunch of lag from the digital to analog conversion and not produce 240p resolutions?

Why is everyone using crt-emulator and these transcoders if all is needed is a simple hdmi to component converter?
All the reading ive done says you dont want to use digital converted signals, im new to all this and you got me feeling like I wasted money on this old amd card.
I thought analog , crt-emudriver or similar video card drivers, and setting all your super resolutions was only way to get lag free, 240p on the crt???

I also ended up buying one of those calrad transcoders on ebay. Hope that works and didnt waste more money
No that's correct. If you intend to use a crt then it's definitely preferred to keep the signal analog. If you look at the Arcade control forums people still go out of their way to acquire much older cards than the one you got because they are tried and true to work without hiccups. Generally speaking the boost in graphics performance from something like an HD 6450 (or even the HD 5450) and other cards from that gen to the R9 series hardly matters at that point as they all successfully run the same batch and games at the exact same levels (with framedelay), and all will fail to properly run systems such as the Naomi and some other later Sega boards. The processor will matter much more actually, so I hope you went with something high end.