PS2 Network Adapter Shielding

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
lechu

PS2 Network Adapter Shielding

Post by lechu »

Hi,

Totally random question, but I have no idea where else to post this.

I'm trying to design something for my fat PS2 console. I have a network adapter hooked up to a Sata hard drive, but there's no really good way of putting games on the hard drive (at least no way I like). The best way is to hook up the HDD to a PC to transfer games, but that's a pain in the ass to keep taking it in and out. So I want to go the SD card route, but that suffers the same problem. So I'm trying to design and 3D print something that has no external plastic cutting, and allows you to pop the SD card in and out without taking the network drive off or messing around the setup (I'm thinking something like the PSIO for the PS1 where it just pops out the back, or maybe a new base for the console with an SD card slot on the front).

The only issue I've come across is the metal shielding in the network adapter itself. I know absolutely nothing about electronics, so I was wondering how important is that shielding to the functionality of the hard drive? Is it something that can be completely removed? Can it be cut? Can it be cut and replaced with something else? I'm pretty clueless about it.

Thanks guys.
Konsolkongen

Re: PS2 Network Adapter Shielding

Post by Konsolkongen »

I had to remove that on mine to move the SATA and power connector ever so slightly to fit a 3.5” HDD that differed in this regard to the original Sony. Works fine without it.