Gaming on Plasma

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Nogame

Re: Gaming on Plasma

Post by Nogame »

Who here has tried any old EDTV plasma widescreen displays? I know that the overall picture quality is poor, but maybe some would be suitable for gaming - despite the burn-in vulnerability.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Nogame wrote:Who here has tried any old EDTV plasma widescreen displays? I know that the overall picture quality is poor, but maybe some would be suitable for gaming - despite the burn-in vulnerability.
I had an EDTV from ~2004 that i don't even think had HDMI ports! It looked OK, better than SD TV obviously, but it started to burn in at the end.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Nogame wrote:Who here has tried any old EDTV plasma widescreen displays? I know that the overall picture quality is poor, but maybe some would be suitable for gaming - despite the burn-in vulnerability.
Was using a Panasonic Th-42PWD8UK until I just got an OLED with OSSC support.

It looked nice for 480p and 720p content, softer natural look that I imagine plenty would enjoy. It looked a lot better to me than 480p did on my 1080p Sony set.

Input lag was ballparked at like 6 frames though. Didn't feel anywhere near that bad in actuality, but worth keeping in mind.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
strayan

Post by strayan »

I use one as my gaming display. Phenomenal picture quality via DVI.

Easy enough to see for yourself because ppl are giving them away now. Make sure you get one with a DVI input and not HDMI (all the EDTVs with HDMI I tried overscan 480p which can’t be disabled) whereas the DVI ones didn’t.

The Hitachi EDTV I use has 24ms latency tested with a Time Sleuth.
Nogame

Post by Nogame »

I'm unsure about trying one of them because of aging and other potential issues, but they all are at least $50 in my area. The only ones that might be available are the early Panasonic models, Sylvania TV, and a Sony monitor.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Nogame wrote:I'm unsure about trying one of them because of aging and other potential issues, but they all are at least $50 in my area. The only ones that might be available are the early Panasonic models, Sylvania TV, and a Sony monitor.
You can’t offer them less? If you don’t like it you just resell it or put it on the curb.
Nogame

Post by Nogame »

I'd still have to drive far away unfortunately, but I can't find any late models it seems. Maybe a couple old Panasonic TVs, but there could be several different brands available. The Sony display is interesting, but it's expensive and lacking a table stand. Are Hitachi branded ones likely good for gaming? I don't know about the actual plasma panels though. I did try getting a 4:3 Pioneer, but someone had dropped it before I arrived. All other Pioneer displays seem to be mostly HD.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

I still game on Plasma. I actually picked maybe half a year ago and put it right beside my LCD TV.

Use an HDMI splitter and run both at the same time. I'm not all about the size of the TV.... I'm more about having multiple screens to watch on :lol:

The response time is great but nothing comparable to a CRT though. Nothing beats CRT when it comes to response time.... because a CRT has none :wink: