Wii U - any HDMI - bypass mods on the horizon?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
HDgaming42

Wii U - any HDMI - bypass mods on the horizon?

Post by HDgaming42 »

I was recently inspired by a thread over on resetera talking about how the Wii U can now launch Wii and Gamecube games from the main GUI (was news to me).

I went to the trouble of ripping one of my games and injecting it and was...disappointed to say the least. Even set to 480p I had no idea the Wii U looked this bad playing Wii and Gamecube games. It's so blurry, and there's chroma smearing--and weird cutoffs. It looks terrible.

With a name as short as "Wii U" the forum search function doesn't return a lot. Google comes up empty:

Is there a reason the Wii U hasn't received an HDMI-bypass mod of some sort? Are there technical roadblocks, or was the userbase just so small there's no market?

Because the concept of playing all the Nintendo franchises up to that point on one device is appealing. And I'm running out of room for consoles! Boxing up my Wii's and Gamecube would help usher in next gen.
awe444

Re: Wii U - any HDMI - bypass mods on the horizon?

Post by awe444 »

Here is how Extrems described the problems with how Wii U renders Wii/GC games in its native (vWii) backward compatibility mode:
Extrems wrote:Wii U Wii Mode is a disaster.
  1. 16 pixels is cut on each sides, in destination space. This result in 480p having the most overscan and 1080p the least. There is no 1:1 mapping.
  2. There's a disagreement between left and center chroma sampling location. This result in a slight chroma shift.
  3. There's no conversion between Rec. 601 and Rec. 709 Y'CbCr. This can result in wrong colors in HD and on the Wii U GamePad. This is further exacerbated by the smaller color gamut on the Wii U GamePad.
GeneraLight wrote:I believe vWii Mode is also affected by the Limited RGB (16-235) present on the Wii U, so Wii/WiiWare/Wii VC games won't have as much contrast or vibrant colors as on original Wii hardware, which uses Full RGB (0-255).
GC/Wii natively output Rec. 601 Y'CbCr.
The issues, as I understand it, are software-related and not hardware-related. Quality Wii/GC HDMI output might be possible via Wii U homebrew and custom IOSes?? Interested in what people think
Extrems

Re: Wii U - any HDMI - bypass mods on the horizon?

Post by Extrems »

Please stop quoting that.

It should be possible to improve things somewhat by developing a new program for the microcontroller responsible for the video interface emulation (code found in cafe2wii title).