NES 101 over-heating with NES RGB mod

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
DadicusPrime

NES 101 over-heating with NES RGB mod

Post by DadicusPrime »

NES 101 over-heating with NES RGB mod.

The NES functions properly after the RGB mod as far as video and audio quality but after like 10-20 minutes of playing, the NES and the game cart itself start to get very hot. Could someone please advise me on some troubleshooting steps? Is it possibly a bad voltage regulator?.. I haven't replaced the stock one. Bad power supply? Something else? I had to cut a chunk out of the heat shield in order to accommodate my rather poor placement of the mini-din and 3.5 jacks but I really really doubt that is causing the overheating issue... but I am definitely open to feedback!

Pic of heat shield, just for reference:
Spoiler
nmalinoski

Re: NES 101 over-heating with NES RGB mod

Post by nmalinoski »

I believe the NESRGB comes with a replacement voltage regulator. Did you swap that one in when you did the NESRGB install?
DadicusPrime

Post by DadicusPrime »

Thanks for mentioning. Actually, I now remembered that my kit didn’t come with that part and I reached out to orders@etim.net.au on the matter around 10 months ago but never heard back. I just reached out again.
In case I don’t hear back do you/anyone know the specific part number for the replacement voltage regulator? Cheers
DadicusPrime

Post by DadicusPrime »

Any other advice? I've ordered some 7805 voltage regulators, however, I'm not positive that will fix the problem. I read somewhere else that Tim Worthington stopped including the new regulator in the NEW RGB kit because it wasn't necessary.

Any other thoughts as to why it might be over-heating?

Thanks
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

What power supply are you using? When I was having overheating problems (to the point of the console shutting off) it was power supply related, though only when using a RAM adaptor for FDS. Using a switching power supply set to 7.5V (or 9V) permanently fixed the issue for me.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

The voltage regulator included with the NESRGB isn't to replace the built-in one, it's supplemental, to power the NESRGB independently rather than adding the additional load to the original 7805.
Mobiusstriptech

Post by Mobiusstriptech »

The extra regulator is only for the front loader. It's not included with other installs because it's unnecessary. I'd be on the lookout for a bridge that is causing the system to heat up. You should post pictures of the entire install.
For mod work and questions email us at mobiusstriptech@gmail.com

Twitter: @mobiusstriptech

Youtube: MobiusStripTech

ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

There's got to be something else going on, out of all the top loaders and AV Famicoms that I've modded with the NESRGB, I've never had one overheat.
splits

Post by splits »

There is also a chance that nothing is wrong at all.

Because of the proximity of the heat sink to the casing and the cart in top-loading NES/Famicom machines, it is perfectly normal for this part of the case and carts to become relatively warm.

When, and why, did you start becoming concerned about the heat?
viletim

Post by viletim »

DadicusPrime,

I haven't received any email about this... that's a bit of a worry.

As others have said, I don't include the regulator for the toploader kit because the console already has a huge heat sink on the regulator. You removed some material from yours, but not so much that it should get unacceptably hot during normal use with the NESRGB. To judge whether there's something wrong you need measure either the temperature of the heat sink or the current flowing into the NES. A simple solution to reducing the heat dissipation in the regulator by half is to power the console with a good quality 7.5V switching power supply.