shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:09 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: SCART to D-SUB 15 (DE15) adapter
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:23 pm 



Joined: 14 Jan 2016
Posts: 138
I'm looking for a SCART RGBS (female) to VGA (RGBS, DE-15 male) adapter with stereo RCA male breakouts. I can't seem to find anyone making them anymore. Yes, I could probably make one but time isn't really on my side.

I have a trisync monitor wtih VGA input, so I'm wanting to using a vga switcher to run my SCART RGB consoles (240p) to it plus use VGA for my 480p capable consoles (Dreamcast, 360, etc)

Anyone know where I could find one?


Last edited by thetallguy24 on Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART to D-SUB 15 (VGA) adapter
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:41 pm 



Joined: 14 Aug 2017
Posts: 787
Retro-Access can make this for you using the custom cable maker. Just be careful to indicate what kind of sync level you'll need, whether it'll be fine to just pass 75ohm from the SCART input or whether you'll need to make the cable output TTL sync. You also may or may not need to add a sync stripper, unless your console cables already have one.

Or you could do what I did and ditch your SCART cables and replace them with custom DE-15 cables :D


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART to D-SUB 15 (VGA) adapter
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:15 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Mar 2015
Posts: 3727
Location: Québec City
The good ol' SyncStrike has pretty much that, plus a sync stripper. (although it's a female DE-15 port I think.

But I'm not sure they're made anymore.

I have 2 of them and I like having them around, they're really handy.

But since they're an older product, I'm sure some electrical engineer has teared it to shreds by now for poor design :lol:
(I learned my lesson and don't recommend anything anymore)
_________________
-FM Synth & Black Metal-


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART to D-SUB 15 (VGA) adapter
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:17 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Oct 2015
Posts: 2204
Location: Montréal, Canada
Does it, though? Information on the Sync Strike is very limited, as their store page has little information and no documentation and broken links. If the store page is to be believed, the sync strike does not output VGA (RGBHV), but some sort of RGBSV signal.

As far as I can tell, an earlier version of the product had a switch for RGBS or RGBHV, but the current store page makes no mention of H-sync, and the only switch they talk about is to change between power inputs.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART to D-SUB 15 (VGA) adapter
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:44 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Mar 2015
Posts: 3727
Location: Québec City
I had assumed RGBS was the wanted output from OP. probs my bad

I think mine has a jumper for RGBHV, I'd have to check
_________________
-FM Synth & Black Metal-


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART to D-SUB 15 (VGA) adapter
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:25 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2018
Posts: 197
Location: Northern California
Someone was asking about this in the gscartsw thread for their extron rxi. Copying my response

I use a sync strike to achieve this.

http://arcadeforge.net/Scaler-and-Strik ... e::15.html

You could also use the Retro Access cable builder to make a custom cable. Make sure you specify to include a sync stripper in the design. The Extron won't take the signal otherwise. I'd gave gone for this option if available back when I did my setup.

https://retro-access.com/collections/custom-cables


There is also the SyncSlayer. I'm not sure these are made anymore. He seems to occasionally list more so join the wait list or contact him direct. Nice guy
https://www.tindie.com/products/Chipnet ... a-adapter/


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART to D-SUB 15 (VGA) adapter
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:40 pm 



Joined: 14 Aug 2017
Posts: 787
Gara wrote:
You could also use the Retro Access cable builder to make a custom cable. Make sure you specify to include a sync stripper in the design. The Extron won't take the signal otherwise. I'd gave gone for this option if available back when I did my setup.


Did you try this yourself? When I wanted to use such a cable with sync stripper + new Gscart a while ago it didn't work with the Extron Rxi. I think it needs TTL but I never tested that.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART to D-SUB 15 (VGA) adapter
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:03 am 


User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2018
Posts: 197
Location: Northern California
fernan1234 wrote:
Gara wrote:
You could also use the Retro Access cable builder to make a custom cable. Make sure you specify to include a sync stripper in the design. The Extron won't take the signal otherwise. I'd gave gone for this option if available back when I did my setup.


Did you try this yourself? When I wanted to use such a cable with sync stripper + new Gscart a while ago it didn't work with the Extron Rxi. I think it needs TTL but I never tested that.


No, I still use the sync strike. I'm not sure what your issue could have been. Back when I picked up mine I was trying to get the cable made, but couldn't find anyone who would make it.

https://www.videogameperfection.com/201 ... le-review/

RGC used to make one.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART to D-SUB 15 (VGA) adapter
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:23 am 



Joined: 30 Oct 2018
Posts: 92
I emailed RGC earlier this year and they said they no longer make this cable and will not make anymore.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART to D-SUB 15 (VGA) adapter
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:49 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 20 Aug 2016
Posts: 1477
Probably need to get a SCART to BNC cable and add the other things you want.

If you want RGBHV "VGA" you'll still need a sync stripper option in the chain and a sync converter to get RGBHV from Composite Sync, RGBS, SyncOnLuma, and RGsB. I don't know of any sync boxes (Covid, Kramer, or Extron) that handle composite sync or sync on luma; gotta fix that with a sync stripper before the sync separator.
_________________
We apologize for the inconvenience


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART to D-SUB 15 (VGA) adapter
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:26 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2018
Posts: 197
Location: Northern California
fernan1234 wrote:
Gara wrote:
You could also use the Retro Access cable builder to make a custom cable. Make sure you specify to include a sync stripper in the design. The Extron won't take the signal otherwise. I'd gave gone for this option if available back when I did my setup.


Did you try this yourself? When I wanted to use such a cable with sync stripper + new Gscart a while ago it didn't work with the Extron Rxi. I think it needs TTL but I never tested that.



I just remembered I did try another configuration prior to the sync strike. I used a scart to bnc adapter with a sync stripper and a Extron BNC to VGA adapter to plug into the Extron.

I tried it without the sync stripper and it didn't work. It didn't matter what the source signal was or what switches I fiddled with on the Extron and gscartsw.

It worked fine once I figured it needed the sync stripper. I tried the sync strike and a lot of other stuff trying to chase down the image distortion the Extron adds to the upper left hand of the image on most 15khz sources. I never solved it. I still keep the Extron in my setup, but I also keep a clean output for when it adds distortion.

Some of the old threads

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=64001

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=64181

Probably more here along with reddit and Facebook. I really wanted to solve it. Some people claimed to not have problems.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART to D-SUB 15 (VGA) adapter
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:30 pm 



Joined: 05 Dec 2012
Posts: 475
This is a "Sync strike", but with a switchable low-pass filter: https://insurrectionindustries.com/product/scart2dvi/

You can then use either a DVI-to-VGA cable or dongle.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART to D-SUB 15 (VGA) adapter
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:28 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Oct 2015
Posts: 2204
Location: Montréal, Canada
FinalBaton wrote:
I had assumed RGBS was the wanted output from OP. probs my bad

I think mine has a jumper for RGBHV, I'd have to check


The OP specified VGA (which means RGBHV, not RGBS) and stated their intended purpose was to connect it to a CRT monitor. Some monitors can accept RGBS over their VGA inputs (my old Viewsonic did), but not all do, and RGBHV is the safe assumption without a model number or specsheet.

retrorgb wrote:
This is a "Sync strike", but with a switchable low-pass filter: https://insurrectionindustries.com/product/scart2dvi/

You can then use either a DVI-to-VGA cable or dongle.


That doesn't look like it outputs a full RGBHV VGA signal either. It's possible that RGBS might work perfectly fine in the OP's use case, but you can't assume that a VGA monitor will accept anything but an RGBHV signal.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART to D-SUB 15 (VGA) adapter
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:38 pm 



Joined: 14 Jan 2016
Posts: 138
Guspaz wrote:
FinalBaton wrote:
I had assumed RGBS was the wanted output from OP. probs my bad

I think mine has a jumper for RGBHV, I'd have to check


The OP specified VGA (which means RGBHV, not RGBS) and stated their intended purpose was to connect it to a CRT monitor. Some monitors can accept RGBS over their VGA inputs (my old Viewsonic did), but not all do, and RGBHV is the safe assumption without a model number or specsheet.

retrorgb wrote:
This is a "Sync strike", but with a switchable low-pass filter: https://insurrectionindustries.com/product/scart2dvi/

You can then use either a DVI-to-VGA cable or dongle.


That doesn't look like it outputs a full RGBHV VGA signal either. It's possible that RGBS might work perfectly fine in the OP's use case, but you can't assume that a VGA monitor will accept anything but an RGBHV signal.


No. I specified dsub15. Merely vga as a connector not as a signal. So scart to a vga out (rgbs)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART to D-SUB 15 (VGA) adapter
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:43 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Mar 2015
Posts: 3727
Location: Québec City
thetallguy24 wrote:
Guspaz wrote:
FinalBaton wrote:
I had assumed RGBS was the wanted output from OP. probs my bad

I think mine has a jumper for RGBHV, I'd have to check


The OP specified VGA (which means RGBHV, not RGBS) and stated their intended purpose was to connect it to a CRT monitor.


No. I specified dsub15. Merely vga as a connector not as a signal. So scart to a vga out (rgbs)

:)

BOOM! Take that Guspaz :P
_________________
-FM Synth & Black Metal-


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART to D-SUB 15 (VGA) adapter
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:32 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Oct 2015
Posts: 2204
Location: Montréal, Canada
The topic of the post has: "D-SUB 15 (VGA) adapter" and the body says "I'm looking for a SCART RGBS (female) to VGA (msle) adapter"

VGA is not a connector, and does not use a "D-SUB 15" connector (there are multiple possible 15-pin d-sub configurations, VGA uses DE-15 because it has an E-sized shell, while DB-15 only has two rows of pins), so as soon as you say "to VGA" you're specifying a standard that includes RGBHV, and not RGBS.

Your original post was vague and you offered no feedback or clarification for several days after your post, so I don't think it's unreasonable to caution people that a solution that converts to RGBS (which is not VGA) may not be applicable.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART to D-SUB 15 (VGA) adapter
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:47 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Mar 2018
Posts: 1077
Guspaz wrote:
The topic of the post has: "D-SUB 15 (VGA) adapter" and the body says "I'm looking for a SCART RGBS (female) to VGA (msle) adapter"

VGA is not a connector, and does not use a "D-SUB 15" connector (there are multiple possible 15-pin d-sub configurations, VGA uses DE-15 because it has an E-sized shell, while DB-15 only has two rows of pins), so as soon as you say "to VGA" you're specifying a standard that includes RGBHV, and not RGBS.

Your original post was vague and you offered no feedback or clarification for several days after your post, so I don't think it's unreasonable to caution people that a solution that converts to RGBS (which is not VGA) may not be applicable.

D-SUB 15 isn't actually wrong - DB-15 is wrong, DE-15 is correct, but D-Sub just means D-Subminiature which is what all Dx connectors are


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART to D-SUB 15 (VGA) adapter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:57 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2019
Posts: 69
maxtherabbit wrote:
Guspaz wrote:
The topic of the post has: "D-SUB 15 (VGA) adapter" and the body says "I'm looking for a SCART RGBS (female) to VGA (msle) adapter"

VGA is not a connector, and does not use a "D-SUB 15" connector (there are multiple possible 15-pin d-sub configurations, VGA uses DE-15 because it has an E-sized shell, while DB-15 only has two rows of pins), so as soon as you say "to VGA" you're specifying a standard that includes RGBHV, and not RGBS.

Your original post was vague and you offered no feedback or clarification for several days after your post, so I don't think it's unreasonable to caution people that a solution that converts to RGBS (which is not VGA) may not be applicable.

D-SUB 15 isn't actually wrong - DB-15 is wrong, DE-15 is correct, but D-Sub just means D-Subminiature which is what all Dx connectors are


We all chose a path with painful semantics that lead to confusion. "Man my game output is all noisy" "Bro dawg I don't hear a thing!" "I MEANT 15kHz VIDEO NOISE YOU PLEB!"


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART to D-SUB 15 (DE15) adapter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:20 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2013
Posts: 7181
Location: block
I remember seeing one on sale long ago, and it was already old stock from a store that used to sell video processors, the thing was probably made on site or in very low supply intended as a convenience service for their customers.

In short; you won't find one.

The closest thing would be this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHILIPS-CM883 ... 0754731999
(seems wired for RGBs)
But it's 9pin, you would have to solder a 15pin in place.
_________________
Strikers1945guy wrote:
"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART to D-SUB 15 (DE15) adapter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:57 pm 



Joined: 14 Jan 2016
Posts: 138
Xyga wrote:
I remember seeing one on sale long ago, and it was already old stock from a store that used to sell video processors, the thing was probably made on site or in very low supply intended as a convenience service for their customers.

In short; you won't find one.

The closest thing would be this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHILIPS-CM883 ... 0754731999
(seems wired for RGBs)
But it's 9pin, you would have to solder a 15pin in place.


If I got that adapter (thanks for finding it btw) would this 9 pin to 15 pin adapter work?

C2G 02457 MultiSync VGA (HD15) Male to DB9 Female Serial RS232 Adapter, Beige https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000511D5/re ... -DbVR4VEGN


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART to D-SUB 15 (DE15) adapter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:25 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2013
Posts: 7181
Location: block
thetallguy24 wrote:
If I got that adapter (thanks for finding it btw) would this 9 pin to 15 pin adapter work?

C2G 02457 MultiSync VGA (HD15) Male to DB9 Female Serial RS232 Adapter, Beige https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000511D5/re ... -DbVR4VEGN

It says HD15 to DB9
Honestly I don't know...
_________________
Strikers1945guy wrote:
"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART to D-SUB 15 (DE15) adapter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:38 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Mar 2018
Posts: 1077
thetallguy24 wrote:
Xyga wrote:
I remember seeing one on sale long ago, and it was already old stock from a store that used to sell video processors, the thing was probably made on site or in very low supply intended as a convenience service for their customers.

In short; you won't find one.

The closest thing would be this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHILIPS-CM883 ... 0754731999
(seems wired for RGBs)
But it's 9pin, you would have to solder a 15pin in place.


If I got that adapter (thanks for finding it btw) would this 9 pin to 15 pin adapter work?

C2G 02457 MultiSync VGA (HD15) Male to DB9 Female Serial RS232 Adapter, Beige https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000511D5/re ... -DbVR4VEGN

I would skip all that BS and go with either the SCART2DVI that retrorgb posted earlier in this thread, or the SCART to VGA made by tinkerplunk

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/psa2AORa

If you want to buy the tinkerplunk one, I know a guy selling fully assembled units for $25 shipped


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART to D-SUB 15 (DE15) adapter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:36 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2013
Posts: 7181
Location: block
Say BS to yourself, I've made a couple like that except 15pin of course and they've worked perfecty with optimal convenience.

maxtherabbit wrote:
the SCART2DVI

That's definitively much more interesting for him since it's even less work, but overkill for his needs, welp.

But honestly this is one of those cases where not going DIY is a bit ridiculous, I'm not a handy man myself but that's one of the easiest possible DIY adapters to make. *shrug*
_________________
Strikers1945guy wrote:
"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART to D-SUB 15 (DE15) adapter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:09 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Mar 2018
Posts: 1077
Xyga wrote:
Say BS to yourself, I've made a couple like that except 15pin of course and they've worked perfecty with optimal convenience.

maxtherabbit wrote:
the SCART2DVI

That's definitively much more interesting for him since it's even less work, but overkill for his needs, welp.

But honestly this is one of those cases where not going DIY is a bit ridiculous, I'm not a handy man myself but that's one of the easiest possible DIY adapters to make. *shrug*

Specifically the 9-pin thing is what was the BS, why bother buying one premade with the wrong connector and then either cutting it up or hoping that adapter dongle has the correct pinout etc.

I agree, I would make one myself too If I were him - that's why I posted the link to the gerbers for the tinker plunk board


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART to D-SUB 15 (DE15) adapter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:36 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2013
Posts: 7181
Location: block
Well if you got it, his purpose is precisely to not DIH :mrgreen:

So, since I always have to re-explain in details the purpose of every of my posts: having like 70% of the job (including the parts procurement) done, only needing to replace/solder one side, was kind of not optimal but easier for him.
That's why I showed him that as it was what he's looking for minus that connector.

Yet he looked at an adapter on top, some people hate soldering, or don't have the tools, but heh, cannot tell if the adapter will work.

So yeah SCART2DVI is indeed his best solution though technically more than he needs, and more expensive.
_________________
Strikers1945guy wrote:
"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART to D-SUB 15 (DE15) adapter
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:54 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Oct 2015
Posts: 2204
Location: Montréal, Canada
If all you need is RGBS over SCART to DE15, why not just buy a SCART-to-BNC adapter and a BNC-to-DE15 adapter? Both are available very cheaply. Just make sure you get male BNC on one and female BNC on the other, and you're set.

RGC sells the SCART-to-BNC/RCA adapter for $6.50 USD, and monoprice sells the BNC-to-DE15 adapter for roughly $8 USD depending on the model/length.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART to D-SUB 15 (DE15) adapter
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:09 am 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2019
Posts: 69
Guspaz wrote:
RGC sells the SCART-to-BNC/RCA adapter for $6.50 USD


Wait, where are you seeing that? Do you mean the breakout board? That one's 6.50 USD for the PCB and LM1881, but no SCART socket or RCA/BNC. When they have it back in stock, I'm curious to see what they sell the fully assembled ones for.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART to D-SUB 15 (DE15) adapter
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:36 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 06 Oct 2015
Posts: 2204
Location: Montréal, Canada
I didn't realize that the board was unpopulated. They do sell the SCART connector separately, and you could cut open a VGA cable and solder it to the SCART connector, but for the simpler solution, the BNC-to-SCART adapter for US$26:

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/aud ... verter-bnc

And the BNC-to-DE15 for $6:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=562


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART to D-SUB 15 (DE15) adapter
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:05 am 



Joined: 13 Apr 2013
Posts: 255
I can build it for you. A pcb for female Scart(RGBS) to female VGA HD15(RGBS) with separate RCA(RGBS)+Audio jacks as a bonus. Our Kenzei can be modified for that. $40 +shipping.
PM me.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SCART to D-SUB 15 (DE15) adapter
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:22 am 


User avatar

Joined: 20 Aug 2016
Posts: 1477
Wookiewin on ebay builds SCART to BNC cables. I have one and the results are very good.
_________________
We apologize for the inconvenience


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: andykara2003, citrus3000psi, DatMonkey, Speedy, vip77 and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group