Connecting a VGA monitor

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bacardi

Connecting a VGA monitor

Post by bacardi »

Hey folks, I completely forgot that my monitor has a male vga cable permanently attached to it... i'm trying to connect a HDMI to VGA adapter, but the adapter has a male output... can i just use a female to female bridge to connect them or i need a hdmi to vga converter with a female output natively?
Dochartaigh

Re: Connecting a VGA monitor

Post by Dochartaigh »

VGA is multidirectional (well, for the RGB and sync lines at least, pretty sure all of it) so you can just use an adapter/dongle like you said.
bacardi

Post by bacardi »

Dochartaigh wrote:VGA is multidirectional (well, for the RGB and sync lines at least, pretty sure all of it) so you can just use an adapter/dongle like you said.
Sweet, thanks!
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

the cable is bidirectional, but the HDMI/VGA adapters are not

sounds like you have the reverse adapter that you need, the correct adapter would have the correct gender port for your monitor's integral cable
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

Nah, a lot of adapters have VGA male outputs, assuming that you will slap them onto your projector or modern-ish LCD with VGA. PC CRTs that don't have female ports are left out with this sort of common adapter.
bacardi

Post by bacardi »

right, well, the hdmi on the adapter is marked as input, the male VGA as output, i'm thinking if i bridge that with a female to female switch, it will work, since i'm still getting an output signal from the hdmi->vga adapter... :) i guess i just should test it out and report back results !

Update: the solution worked! Thanks guys!