Sony PVM-1953MD pulsing picture

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
freakaftr8

Sony PVM-1953MD pulsing picture

Post by freakaftr8 »

Hey everyone new member here. Got a PVM question. I picked up 2 of these PVM-1953MD monitors the other day. One needed some C board (neckboard) repairs, and one had a blown horizontal output transistor and a shorted diode and open inductor coil on the mainboard near the flyback so the 180v to the CRT drivers for the grid and G1 were low. (This causes insane amounts of screen drive and a shutdown if left unchecked).

The other one is acting wierd with a crawl to the picture when video is displayed. if there is no video the OSD menu is pulsating like crazy. More pronounced on the edges and less in the middle.

It's for sure in the power supply. the other monitors power supply fixes this issue. I went ahead and tried the faulty supply on the good monitor with the same pulsating picture results.

I recapped the whole supply because I thought it was ripple voltage coming in to the 117vDC output. I have found other people with this symptom but nobody has had a confirmed fix for it. Has anyone run into this problem before?
Thanks!
Taiyaki

Re: Sony PVM-1953MD pulsing picture

Post by Taiyaki »

I had one where there was also some weird behaviors like that, and yes replacing the power supply with that of another fixed it (found parts on ebay). You might be able to find the part to replace it with and that might be the simplest solution but I'm not familiar with the 1953MD.

That being said, if the problem only occurs on the osd on not the video inputs then is it really worth bothering with? I've seen pulsating osd's on Sony consumer tv's a lot, at least when no video signal is being received, and this is totally normal. However since you have two units of the 1953MD and it's only happening on one it does sound like something of a problem that should be fixable.
freakaftr8

Post by freakaftr8 »

Well I've put 3 days worth of oscilloscope readings and component checking to find out it's a faulty STR module. They want 30 bucks for the module. For 5 dollars more I found a new old stock power supply. What am I going to do with two of these monitors??
freakaftr8

Post by freakaftr8 »

Power supply replaced. Tweaked convergence and focus and RGB gains and BKG. Looks pretty good. Both needed extensive component replacement.