shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:44 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: Sony Trinitron S-Video Mod
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:54 am 

Will this work on an NTSC-U unit? I have a similar TV but it's a TS20 like a user stated above. And the red X means eliminate the connection?

Thank you.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:11 pm 

d32xing wrote:
Will this work on an NTSC-U unit? I have a similar TV but it's a TS20 like a user stated above. And the red X means eliminate the connection?

Thank you.

I don't see why not. I believe the jungle can operate in both pal and ntsc. And yes the the red crosses mean disconnect. This can be either lifting a component leg or cutting traces. I am also running wires on both sides of the cut so i can switch it back to "stock" rf mode. Since there were composite sets that used the same/similar jungle i think it is possible to do this without the need to cut traces if the jungle can be forced into "composite" mode. This effectively blanks the screen just like done in rgb mods. I haven't been able to figure this out though..

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:51 am 

Updated diagram with Audio added.

This pretty much completes the mod. There may be different/better ways to do this but this is what i can verify as working. This mod requires traces being disconnected and a switch if you want to run the tv in stock rf mode. Next I am looking into if it is possible to do a way simpler switch-less mod with no need to disconnected traces.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Sony Trinitron S-Video/Composite Mod (RF-only TV)
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:50 pm 

I finally figured out how to do this mod completely switchless. By lifting a grounded pin on the OSD chip, the TV can now go into 'Video' mode using the remote. Video mode originally came disabled on this since it's an rf only set. The pin outputs 5V when in AV mode so i was able to use this to control a switching circuit that toggles between svideo/composite and stock tv mode from the tvs remote.
It's a mess of breadboards and wiring but once all back together it won't even look like a modded tv since there's no external toggle switch or button needed. I know this seems like allot of trouble just to retain the stock tv mode but I started on this 6 months ago and it's become a bit of a passion project just to see how far i could go with it. In future i'll aim to make an updated diagram complete with the switching circuit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:01 pm 

Phenomenal work.

I'm hoping to unlock s-video in a Sharp set that's RF only but I haven't been able to find the schematics unfortunately.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:20 pm 

This is so cool, thanks for the work. It'll save many sets from the dump hopefully

I see KV-20HFR/27HRF regularly around here, those look like solid sets but have no S-video.

Online Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:44 am 

Bratwurst wrote:
Phenomenal work.

I'm hoping to unlock s-video in a Sharp set that's RF only but I haven't been able to find the schematics unfortunately.

FinalBaton wrote:
This is so cool, thanks for the work. It'll save many sets from the dump hopefully

I see KV-20HFR/27HRF regularly around here, those look like solid sets but have no S-video.

Thanks guys. Even a really old set with no OSD or unlockable video mode could use this and just have a SPST switch.
Looks like those KV-20HFR/27HRF sets have composite which would make things allot easier.

Offline Profile