Setting up BVM-D24E1WU

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Wolf_PM

Setting up BVM-D24E1WU

Post by Wolf_PM »

I managed to get one of these things, but I'm still new to learning about everything you need set up for retro gaming, and I was wondering if I could find some assistance here. I have the monitor and the control unit under-mounted, and I only have the default analog board, which is all I think I need for most systems anyways? I have 4 separate 75 ohm terminators, but that's it.

I know I have to buy a couple of RCA to BNC adapters, but there's a 4th spot on the board for SYNC In and Out, do I need to connect anything to that? I'm primarily going to be using my Wii over component cables, and playing some games through the VC on that in 240p. If I don't need to connect anything to the sync in and out ports, then do I need anything other than 3 rca to bnc adapters and just plug the 3 component cables right in?

I didn't get a power cord with this, I'm assuming any power cord that I use to plug into any other monitors I have would be fine right? And for storage, is it a bad idea to have it on a carpet floor?

Sorry for asking some really silly questions, but I've tried researching with the little free time I have on my own and I haven't been able to figure it all out since everyone's setups seem to depend on which type of monitor they have.
Aelius

Re: Setting up BVM-D24E1WU

Post by Aelius »

The Wii component cables carry the picture's sync data over the green cable (Y). You will not be using external sync, don't worry about leaving that plug empty. You may need to select YPrPr in the D24's input settings, because the Wii is not putting out RGB.

Any power cord is probably fine, but I would choose your thickest one. The manual says 16-18 AWG is ideal, and if you're uncertain about the ones you have laying around, these are not expensive: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=27285

I don't see an issue with storing it on a carpet floor. The manual suggests you should not use it on a carpeted surface, however. Here is what the manual says about storing the unit:

Storage and transport conditions
Temperature
–10°C to 40°C (14°F to 104°F)
Humidity
0% to 90%
Pressure
700 hPa to 1060 hPa
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

You should be all good with that. Just remember you need the terminators on the out connectors whenever you have something coming in through the in connectors. You can leave the fourth one attached to the external sync out connector in case you ever need to plug something in there.

BTW, it'd be a real shame to not take advantage of a monitor like this for other uses, beyond just retro gaming or gaming in general. It's after all a broadcast monitor, and interlaced content therefore shines on it. You can get an amazing full HD/1080i picture on it. You can use HDMI sources via either an HDMI to component cable or, better but more complicated, an HDMI to VGA (RGBHV) adapter + sync combiner to get RGB for the monitor. Your movies, TV shows, anime, etc., both old and new will look great on it.
Wolf_PM

Post by Wolf_PM »

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I figured it would be better than if I created a whole new one since the topic is the same.

First, thank you both, Aelius and fernan1234, I bought that power cord you linked, and I have been using the BVM on my carpet floor, although I prop it up higher with some wood on each corner, and so far it has worked fine, although it does have a high pitch screeching for the first half hour of use every time for some reason. I've mainly been using a Wii Dual to play gamecube games, and some emulated SNES games.

What I would like to do now is run an emulator from my PC for melee so I can use slippi to play online with other people. I have an old laptop with a VGA output, but it's not powerful enough to run dolphin. My desktop only has HDMI and DP outputs. Is it possible to use a lag-free HDMI => VGA adapter and connect it to this Extron RGB 192 that I have, and then run BNC cables from it to the BVM? I realize resolution choice is going to be a factor in getting an image, but my main concern is if I could damage the BVM by trying to set resolutions on these emulators to match one that the BVM can accept.

I apologize if I'm not clear, if I need to clarify a part of my question please let me know, and I would greatly appreciate any response.

Thank you.