Mortal Kombat Tournament Edition fight stick question

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
thebigcheese

Mortal Kombat Tournament Edition fight stick question

Post by thebigcheese »

Really sorry if this is common knowledge around these parts, but I'm a big newbie when it comes to fight sticks. My wife is particularly keen on the Mortal Kombat Tournament Edition fight stick for 360 and I'm considering picking one up as a Christmas present, but our understanding is that it will only work with the 360. We do have a handful of fighting games for 360, but we've also got some for PS4 and it would suck to be locked into one platform. I assume this is a common complaint among fight stick users, but are there adapters or workarounds for the problem? She's a big Mortal Kombat fan and specifically likes this particular stick, otherwise I'd look into other sticks. Again, sorry for the newbie question but thanks for helping out.
bigbadboaz

Re: Mortal Kombat Tournament Edition fight stick question

Post by bigbadboaz »

Yes, there are adapters. You'll probably want to start out with what Brook makes and maybe search further from there.

The main sticking point, though, is that the MK layout really doesn't translate to anything else. Maybe she can be convinced to go for a more standard arcade stick and work on artwork mods later.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

bigbadboaz wrote:Yes, there are adapters. You'll probably want to start out with what Brook makes and maybe search further from there.

The main sticking point, though, is that the MK layout really doesn't translate to anything else. Maybe she can be convinced to go for a more standard arcade stick and work on artwork mods later.
Yeah, the more I looked at it, the more I wondered about that. It does seem rather specific. Thanks, I might have to abandon the idea until I do some more checking. I'm sure someone makes faceplates or stickers for fight sticks. Heck, I've got really nice sticker paper and a printer...
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Yeah, there's a ton that can be done as far as artwork. If you get that far there is a lot of info all over the Web.

Another thought, the arcade parts used in that stick are not considered top-notch nowadays. Ideally, you would want something with Japanese parts such as Sanwa or Seimitsu. And I certainly wouldn't pay $149 for that particular stick.
Austin

Post by Austin »

I wouldn't worry about the parts if you mainly want to use it with Mortal Kombat. Those look like Happ style parts and that's what most people in the USA grew up with when playing MK in the arcades. Not really a big deal there.

As it's been mentioned, the issue is using it with other games. Japanese style sticks and buttons generally work and feel better for other types of fighters or arcade games and shmups.

I can second the recommendation on Brook adapters. I've picked up a few recently myself to use with my PS4 stick and they work well. They make adapters that go from 360 to PS4/PS3 if you do decide to go with a 360-specific stick. Personally though, if you ditch the MK stick idea, I'd go with a PS4 stick. Brook makes more adapters that convert from that platform to others. For example, PS4 to 360, PS4 to Xbone, PS4 to Sega Genesis/PC Engine, PS4 to Neo-Geo and PS4 to PS2/PS1. If you go with a 360/Xbone stick, you have less options to convert unless you go with one of their internal retro or fight boards. Just food for thought anyway, if you don't need to convert more than once then a 360 stick is probably fine. :)
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

We went to a local store to try some out and settled on a Hori Real Arcade Pro N, the PS4/PS4/PC edition as you suggested. But I'm having a little trouble deciphering the Brook adapter options. Which one would let us use it with 360? That's the main one we'll want to convert to.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Brook adapters have labeling on the packaging telling you what they do.

I am looking for one now and I can't find a Brook PS4 to 360 adapter. PS4 to Xbox One adapters exist, but I can't find 360 ones. This is strange to me as they make PS4 adapters to pretty much everything else (PS4 to Dreamcast, Gen/MD, PCE, Neo Geo, PS2/PS1).

Mayflash makes universal adapters that will switch various controller types to Xbox 360, including PS4. Link: http://www.mayflash.com/Products/XBOXXBOX360/XB018.html. Can anyone vouch for these?

The Hori RAP sticks are nice. Easy to swap out the parts too if you want to do that.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

It looks like Brook had an extremely limited run of PS4 to 360 adapters that they brought to one tournament, but that's it. I think the Mayflash is the only option now... Oh well. There's only a couple games that aren't available on PC as well.
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

thebigcheese wrote:Really sorry if this is common knowledge around these parts, but I'm a big newbie when it comes to fight sticks. My wife is particularly keen on the Mortal Kombat Tournament Edition fight stick for 360 and I'm considering picking one up as a Christmas present, but our understanding is that it will only work with the 360. We do have a handful of fighting games for 360, but we've also got some for PS4 and it would suck to be locked into one platform. I assume this is a common complaint among fight stick users, but are there adapters or workarounds for the problem? She's a big Mortal Kombat fan and specifically likes this particular stick, otherwise I'd look into other sticks. Again, sorry for the newbie question but thanks for helping out.
You can also mod it with a DB15 connector to use as a zero-lag supergun fight stick. I'll be doing this fairly soon for use with MK & UMK3.