Carby Component Cable Gamecube

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Revolver Ocelot

Carby Component Cable Gamecube

Post by Revolver Ocelot »

So far I have been using a handmade GC HDMI adapter I got from another forum. This neat device spoiled yesterday unexpectedly and now I am looking for a decent replacement for my Gamecube asap. I di some research and the carby products seems to be a decent choice. I could either get another HDMI adapter from there or their new Component cable. For now I am especially tempted by the Component cable because I am intersted in upscaling Gamecube games with my Framemeister. Upscaling the HDMI signal from my HDMI Device did not produced the best results. Maybe I could achieve better results wen I upscale the component signal ?

Not sure about that never used component with my Framemeister up to this day.

Is anybody here that has experience with the new component cable? I sou would you recommend it? Or would I be way better off getting another HDMI device?
Guspaz

Re: Carby Component Cable Gamecube

Post by Guspaz »

IIRC the Framemeister has poor handling of 480p signals.
Revolver Ocelot

Guspaz wrote:IIRC the Framemeister has poor handling of 480p signals.
Thanks for the info. I am aware of that. In long term I am getting a own device for 480p content. Either the Extron scaler or the OSSC.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Why not just get the Carby HDMI adapter and connect the GameCube directly to your TV? Most HDTVs have decent handling of 480p HDMI content.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Guspaz wrote:Why not just get the Carby HDMI adapter and connect the GameCube directly to your TV? Most HDTVs have decent handling of 480p HDMI content.
depends on your definition of "decent"

samsungs tend toward a very soft upscale, which I absolutely hate
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

I'd suggest getting the regular CARBY anyway. It'll work great with a HDMI DAC once GCVideo-DVI v3.0 lands.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Extrems wrote:I'd suggest getting the regular CARBY anyway. It'll work great with a HDMI DAC once GCVideo-DVI v3.0 lands.
I second that, the carby HDMI+DAC+OSSC is an excellent solution

But I ended up buying the OEM cables specifically because I hated my TV's 480p scaling so much, the thought was why bother with having an external DAC when a secondhand d-terminal CMPV-DOL was $100 shipped
Revolver Ocelot

Guspaz wrote:Why not just get the Carby HDMI adapter and connect the GameCube directly to your TV? Most HDTVs have decent handling of 480p HDMI content.
I am afraid I cannot do that. My Panasonic TV has a interesting "feature". It cannot use 4:3 when game mode is enabled. And I hate playing 4:3 content stretched to 16:9. When the game mode is off 4:3 is possible without game mode but then the Input lag is too much. :evil:

So I have to rely on the framemeister to Bypass the Problem. The result of the upscaling was decent although the Framemeister does not seem to be made for upscaling on 480p HDMI Signal. I can achieve much better results with lower res RGB Signals of older consoles.

@all Thanks for the advice. I will go with the carby HDMI Adapter then.