Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri May 29, 2020 12:33 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: Satiator - Beta units shipping end of Nov
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:29 am 

maxtherabbit wrote:
why? are they real life bros or something?

They both create retro gaming tech. I have no reason to believe they collaborate or know each other IRL, but someone "might" assume because Dan's the creator of the badass DCHDMI (among other projects) that it somehow gives him clairvoyance or something...IDK. You know, Hero worship and all that. With great power, comes great responsibility...because there are people out there who don't know how to think for themselves and will trust whatever is said by someone they perceive to be an expert.

I was about to ignore the comment, then I saw who it was from. Then I thought "wow, that's strait fire". Whether he wants that responsibility or not, people see his handle and there is added weight behind the words because of who wrote them. I'm not saying it makes sense, or should be this way, I'm saying it's true.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:48 am 

RIP-Felix wrote:
I was about to ignore the comment, then I saw who it was from. Then I thought "wow, that's strait fire". Whether he wants that responsibility or not, people see his handle and there is added weight behind the words because of who wrote them. I'm not saying it makes sense, or should be this way, I'm saying it's true.

if it doesn't make sense, nor should be that way I'm going to choose not to care

I'd recommend others do the same :wink:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:05 pm 

So, bumping this up. Those of you with units, can you talk about how well/not well they work?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:44 am 

Has a price point been discussed?

If it’s not cheap I see little incentive to buy as I own some kick ass Saturn games already

And when pseudo Saturn came out I “backed up” the rest of my collection.

Same reason I don’t own an SSDS3. Turbo Duo was already an investment.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:19 am 

XtraSmiley wrote:
So, bumping this up. Those of you with units, can you talk about how well/not well they work?

Emerald Nova (DIY Saturn dev) got a beta unit and streamed it in action, I think there's a VOD on Twitch or YouTubez. Works pretty well but has some kinks to be worked out, as expected. I'm wondering if anyone has recorded the Fenrir in action yet...?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:12 am 

kitty666cats wrote:
Works pretty well but has some kinks to be worked out, as expected. I'm wondering if anyone has recorded the Fenrir in action yet...?

Are any of those kinks game compatibility related or just general performance and use?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:31 am 

fernan1234 wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:
Works pretty well but has some kinks to be worked out, as expected. I'm wondering if anyone has recorded the Fenrir in action yet...?

Are any of those kinks game compatibility related or just general performance and use?

I believe a little of column A, little of column B. Whatever issues I heard mentioned, it seemed to be nothing drastic, stuff I'm sure will be squared away by release.

I already have a Phoebe but I will definitely be eagerly waiting to see people's thoughts on the final product

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:28 pm 

https://youtu.be/dt6h122k1VQ?t=61

^Archived stream of someone streaming the beta unit. Haven't watched it all but did hear that there have been updates to the beta firmware. Something about an FMV fix? This guy mentions that "99% of games (US collection?) should load with no problem".

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:42 am 

For being in the early beta phase, this thing is looking super solid so far.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:50 am 

Pretty good series of videos from a Beta Tester (ReEnthused Channel)

Quote:
First look at the Satiator Sega Saturn Flash Cart Beta by Professor Abrasive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=digVewVEqGg
Quote:
We take another look at the Satiator after updating to the newest firmware.
Firmware 73:
Fixes FMV stuttering
Speeds up menu loading when there are lots of files
Adds page switching with shoulder buttons
First attempts at implementing audio indexing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2yMWUPr9l8

*someone asked about price, well it hasn't been discussed yet. I believe he wished it to be in the $150 range +/-.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:25 am 

^Nice, thanks for the links.

Love how neat and easy the 'install' is.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Satiator - ODE solution (in Beta)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:28 pm 

I really hope we get a nice, fast menu that looks like the BIOS. Something that just fits the Saturn. I love the Everdrives and stuff but the UIs are kind of garbage. SD2SNES, for example, is much nicer to use than a MegaEverdrive due to that.

Regardless, this is shaping up nicely. Glad to see units finally in people's hands and glad to see it working so well.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Satiator - ODE solution (in Beta)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:50 am 

PearlJammzz wrote:
I really hope we get a nice, fast menu that looks like the BIOS. Something that just fits the Saturn. I love the Everdrives and stuff but the UIs are kind of garbage. SD2SNES, for example, is much nicer to use than a MegaEverdrive due to that.

Regardless, this is shaping up nicely. Glad to see units finally in people's hands and glad to see it working so well.

The menu interface will be open source, so it will just take someone out there with creativity/skill to do it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Satiator - Saturn ODE solution (in Beta)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:57 am 

A good overview of the beta from RetroRGB with some info about saving to SD card and multi-disc games

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 5:40 pm 

Courtesy of Sapiens on the RGBoards
Didn't know it was being assembled in the USA. Rip reasonable shipping cost to the EU T_T

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 6:26 pm 

Always great to hear about progress on this one. Maybe eventually he can find a distributor in Europe to make things better for EU buyers.

Fendir, MODE, Satiator... nice to have a lot of options! (there's Phoebe/Rhea too but I see those as outdated now given what we have now). It'll be fun to see some direct comparisons later this year.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 8:13 pm 

Phoebe/Rhea is indeed the most updated of the bunch thanks to being the oldest. That is, I wouldn't expect the compatibility/performance that Deunan's ODE has got until many months in the future (and that's assuming the devs listen, so MODE can already be discarded).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 8:22 pm 

Prof Abrasive said we can expect virtually 100% compatibility from the start in the final release, if I recall correctly.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 8:24 pm 

Oh, come on. Let him tell you how many testers with Japanese knowledge he reached first.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 8:32 pm 

I guess we'll have to wait and see, but it sounded like he figured out the Saturn enough to feel confident about it, to the point that accuracy should cover even whacky things done by more obscure titles. I'll give him more benefit of the doubt than to the other ones, at least.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:48 pm 

Quote:
Always great to hear about progress on this one. Maybe eventually he can find a distributor in Europe to make things better for EU buyers.

I approached him right back when the project started and he seemed receptive to this, I love Saturn so obviously I'm up for stocking these.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:53 am 

Case design is finished
Via RetroRGB:

Professor Abrasive wrote:
“These are the first samples off the tool – and they’ll be the last. Thanks to the expertise of my US manufacturing partner and the toolmaker, they fit perfectly first time; the tool does not need revision. I’m ordering production parts right now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:20 am 

BuckoA51 wrote:
Quote:

I approached him right back when the project started and he seemed receptive to this, I love Saturn so obviously I'm up for stocking these.

Yeah I must say I have wondered about this, I will import from America but that ends up being nearly twice as much as the cost of the unit in shipping and import tax. I was hoping the likes of Retro Towers in the U.K. would get them in.

I’m not over concerned about price on this one, I don’t have a big Saturn collection but I’ve got some games which fetch a couple of hundred now. I’ll just be selling everything, this will cover the price of the Satiator with a fair bit left over. Nice though it would be, I long ago gave up ideas of having a substantial Saturn collection, the average price of a so-so Japanese shooter is £400.

Offline Profile