Sony PVM 14M4 - No display after tweaking Service Menu

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
freakaftr8

Re: Sony PVM 14M4 - No display after tweaking Service Menu

Post by freakaftr8 »

On my PVM-1953MD's. (Both of them) when powering up would supply a bright raster that would lead to a G2 shutdown. now you are not getting that, and you say your output voltages to the neckboard are proper, and the main filter cap I had you look at before is not bulging would tell me that your flyback is working, it's not that. You would have absolutely no HV if that was the case. Also it would not be producing the 6.3v to the heaters either or produce the 190v or so to the neckboard transistors.

Also my monitors had shorted diodes at the output voltage to the neckboard which cause the capacitor to balloon and fail. When The ghost image of the red green blue appear when powering down would normally represent a blank horizontal or vertical signal or a blanked raster with no control over G1 or G2. Check diodes in the output area of the main board to see if any are shorted this would also take out an inductor that is a little blue blob with dots on the top. Look at my posting of my monitors on the site and it should give you a representation of what to measure . It sounds like your monitor is doing the complete opposite of like mine was doing and you are not getting a shut down which means at the systems are checking OK but there is no video to be displayed which will not cause a shut down unless screen and drive voltage is were too high.
freakaftr8

Re: Sony PVM 14M4 - No display after tweaking Service Menu

Post by freakaftr8 »

Ok well I took one for the team. I attempted the V blanking offset on one of my PVM-1953MD's to see how it would react knowing I was not going to write the parameter. Factory setting on mine is set to 121. Adjusting it to 0 would blank the top and squash it down. Adjusting it to max at 255 did nothing. but I can say that the top shows nothing. this would be your blanking area.

Yours may be more sensitive, blanking it completely in the upper section. it may be right on the threshold.

I think you may be able to bring this back.
Your V blanking is number 91 on the menu list.

Bring the monitor in setup mode like normal (press menu then hold enter and degauss). Then hold the menu button for 10 seconds this will bring the list back to number 1. Then carefully and slowly press the enter button 90 (not 91 times as it starts off at number 1) times this will bring the screen to the V blanking menu from there try adjusting with the positive and negative buttons to see if the screen comes back