shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:06 am View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: New GameCube ODE by citrus3000psi/Meneerbeer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:20 pm 



Joined: 17 Jun 2016
Posts: 146
fernan1234 wrote:
PearlJammzz wrote:
I wonder if we'll see a proper ODE for PS1/PS2 one day soon. The PSIO is cool but tons of issues with games. Rather have a proper ODE that replaces the disc drive.


Same. The two Cybdyn devs deserve a lot of credit for being the only ones that have even stepped up to the challenge of making a PS1 ODE, but the way recent firmware "upgrades" have gone makes me wonder if an accurate CD-ROM emulator is within their skill set. I'd bet if we see a proper PS1 ODE it'll come from a Japanese developer, since a lot of the documentation seems to be available only in Japanese, and the person with the most knowledge (Xebra emulator dev) is apparently not easy to reach through the language barrier.

For PS2 games we already have a fantastic solution with OPL (though not 100% perfect as several games require special mode combos). But a proper PS2 ODE would be ideal for accurate support of both PS1 and PS2 games.

I'm sure this GC ODE will be very nice. I already have a Wii-Dual'd Wii so I hardly need one myself, but if I had a GC and official component cables I would be all over it as to be free from relying on GCVideo and the chore of flashing new firmwares when new bugs pop up.


PSIO is amazing. great menu, fast loading, 99.9% compatibility. a few games out of thousands have issues and theres constant firmware updates. gimme a break. i call this phenomenon "32x syndrome"


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New GameCube ODE by citrus3000psi/Meneerbeer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:24 pm 



Joined: 14 Aug 2017
Posts: 659
tusecsy wrote:

PSIO is amazing. great menu, fast loading, 99.9% compatibility. a few games out of thousands have issues and theres constant firmware updates. gimme a break. i call this phenomenon "32x syndrome"


Let me start by saying that the PSIO is amazing, I agree, mainly because no one else has achieved the same feat. But you're wrong on the rest. The 99.9% compatibility claim is incredibly misleading. It's not even necessary to get into the obscure parts of the PS1 library to find problems. Go ahead and update to the newest firmware and tell me that you're having a good experience even with the most popular games. I feel like only people who have not seriously put time into PSIO usage still believe this compatibility claim.

Even on the older more stable firmware the "few games out of thousands" was false, though admittedly that depends on how you define "few".

That said, the two-man Cybdyn team does seem to be taking the current issues seriously and I still hope to be surprised again, pleasantly this time, by the update they've said is coming up soon.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New GameCube ODE by citrus3000psi/Meneerbeer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:00 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 04 Mar 2008
Posts: 506
nmalinoski wrote:
darcagn wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:
Especially with the DVD Drive removed, you have a lot more circulation inside.


This is not always a good thing for cooling, as some consoles require all the components to be intact so air flows a specific way. For example, on a Dreamcast if you remove the GD-ROM, air flow no longer goes over the PSU and cuts across where the GD-ROM used to be, resulting in increases in temperature for the power supply.

Where, exactly, does that air come from? I don't have the best understanding how everything fits together, but, as far as I can tell, the only intake is at the rear of the console, which opens to the GD-ROM area, and the only opening to the PSU area is at the front of the console, on the other side of the GD-ROM, the rear portion being blocked off with a plastic wall.

Unless there's a gap at in that plastic wall at the rear of the console, I'm under the impression that the PSU doesn't get much airflow.


You mean the bendy piece of plastic that goes under the PSU and up between the PSU and GD-ROM? It looks like that would create an airflow channel between the rear intake and front exhaust, running alongside the PSU and GD-ROM. But it doesn't completely cut the PSU off from having air flow over it from the rear to the front.

If the GD-ROM were removed then the airflow channel between the GD-ROM and the PSU would be eliminated, and the air would flow straight from the back out the front without being forced through the leftward toward the PSU.

Putting a 3D-printed tray in the place of the GD-ROM works to direct airflow back to where it belongs. And of course it looks nice and stores SD cards too. Same could be done on GameCube.

Of course, I've never done any analysis on this or taken any data on temps. This is all sort of the "conventional wisdom" of the Dreamcast scene, which, to be completely fair, is filled with myths that catch on and spread.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New GameCube ODE by citrus3000psi/Meneerbeer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:04 pm 



Joined: 17 Jun 2016
Posts: 146
fernan1234 wrote:
tusecsy wrote:

PSIO is amazing. great menu, fast loading, 99.9% compatibility. a few games out of thousands have issues and theres constant firmware updates. gimme a break. i call this phenomenon "32x syndrome"


Let me start by saying that the PSIO is amazing, I agree, mainly because no one else has achieved the same feat. But you're wrong on the rest. The 99.9% compatibility claim is incredibly misleading. It's not even necessary to get into the obscure parts of the PS1 library to find problems. Go ahead and update to the newest firmware and tell me that you're having a good experience even with the most popular games. I feel like only people who have not seriously put time into PSIO usage still believe this compatibility claim.

Even on the older more stable firmware the "few games out of thousands" was false, though admittedly that depends on how you define "few".

That said, the two-man Cybdyn team does seem to be taking the current issues seriously and I still hope to be surprised again, pleasantly this time, by the update they've said is coming up soon.


Why would I upgrade to a firmware that doesn't work. Whatever firmware I'm on is working fine for the 400 titles I play on a regular basis. If they had a bad firmware release I'm sure they'll fix it with the next one. Never had a single problem with any title I threw at it.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New GameCube ODE by citrus3000psi/Meneerbeer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:55 pm 



Joined: 14 Aug 2017
Posts: 659
tusecsy wrote:
Why would I upgrade to a firmware that doesn't work. Whatever firmware I'm on is working fine for the 400 titles I play on a regular basis. If they had a bad firmware release I'm sure they'll fix it with the next one. Never had a single problem with any title I threw at it.


The main problem is for people who updated after hearing about updates that were supposed to fix broken games, but ended up with progressively worse compatibility or slow speeds (slower than a dying real optical drive) on a device that doesn't allow downgrades mainly as an anti-clone measure. But yes eventually things should get at least as good as they were on last year's firmware.

If you didn't update consider yourself lucky, and also lucky your list of 400 regular games doesn't include the ones with bugs, even some of the system's best games like Final Fantasy 7, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 3, etc. It's also unclear if they'll ever figure out ATV register support, so some audio playback effects (such as fade in/out) will not be correct.

It may sound to you like I'm just shitting on the PSIO, but the truth is I do appreciate the device, though I also feel misled by the 99.9% compatibility claim with which they sold it. I think it may be true that 99% of games successfully start up, and this is what a lot of reviewers looked at, loading up the first 5 minutes of several games, but actual playability through completion or without read speed, video, and audio inaccuracies is a different matter.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New GameCube ODE by citrus3000psi/Meneerbeer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:01 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 04 Mar 2008
Posts: 506
fernan1234 wrote:
It may sound to you like I'm just shitting on the PSIO, but the truth is I do appreciate the device, though I also feel misled by the 99.9% compatibility claim with which they sold it. I think it may be true that 99% of games successfully start up, and this is what a lot of reviewers looked at, loading up the first 5 minutes of several games, but actual playability through completion or without read speed, video, and audio inaccuracies is a different matter.


I'm glad you're bringing attention to it. I had planned on getting one soon in the next few months, but I was under the assumption it was really a 99.9% compatibility like the Dreamcast GDEMU. If that's not the case, I'll hold off for longer or wait for a better alternative.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New GameCube ODE by citrus3000psi/Meneerbeer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:24 pm 



Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 1541
darcagn wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:
It may sound to you like I'm just shitting on the PSIO, but the truth is I do appreciate the device, though I also feel misled by the 99.9% compatibility claim with which they sold it. I think it may be true that 99% of games successfully start up, and this is what a lot of reviewers looked at, loading up the first 5 minutes of several games, but actual playability through completion or without read speed, video, and audio inaccuracies is a different matter.


I'm glad you're bringing attention to it. I had planned on getting one soon in the next few months, but I was under the assumption it was really a 99.9% compatibility like the Dreamcast GDEMU. If that's not the case, I'll hold off for longer or wait for a better alternative.

If you can secure one with an older firmware, and you don't mind the tedious install procedure, I'd say the PSIO not a bad buy; but it is absolutely flawed.

I would much rather see something that sat in place of and pretended to be the CD drive assembly, while also hooking into the motherboard with a flex cable (can pass through openings in the upper EM shield). Ideally, it would tie into the disc lid switch, so that if you started the console with the lid closed, the ODE would load its UI, and starting the console with the lid open would send you to the BIOS so you could still manage your game saves. Want to make it more like the PSIO? Make it a little PCB that lives on top of the EM shield and sits between the power and data connections to the drive assembly, and, just like the PSIO, if it detects a CD, pass-through the commands and data, otherwise go into ODE mode and cut off the CD drive.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New GameCube ODE by citrus3000psi/Meneerbeer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:24 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 21 May 2013
Posts: 229
nmalinoski wrote:
I would much rather see something that sat in place of and pretended to be the CD drive assembly, while also hooking into the motherboard with a flex cable (can pass through openings in the upper EM shield). Ideally, it would tie into the disc lid switch, so that if you started the console with the lid closed, the ODE would load its UI, and starting the console with the lid open would send you to the BIOS so you could still manage your game saves. Want to make it more like the PSIO? Make it a little PCB that lives on top of the EM shield and sits between the power and data connections to the drive assembly, and, just like the PSIO, if it detects a CD, pass-through the commands and data, otherwise go into ODE mode and cut off the CD drive.

Unfortunately as I mentioned on the previous page, a typical ODE for PS1 is just not possible because there is no separate drive daughterboard - the drive electronics/chips are incorporated directly onto the PS1 motherboard. To make a 'plug and play' ODE for the PS1 would require someone to emulate the laser/optical pickup unit, which no ODE has done so far :(


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New GameCube ODE by citrus3000psi/Meneerbeer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:14 am 



Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 1541
Link83 wrote:
To make a 'plug and play' ODE for the PS1 would require someone to emulate the laser/optical pickup unit, which no ODE has done so far :(

I'm aware, and I was suggesting that it simulate the pickup unit. The fact that no one has accomplished that yet doesn't mean anything.

And it wouldn't be plug'n'play if it needs to tap into the motherboard and/or disc lid switch, but the installation would be far easier and less destructive compared to the PSIO's.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New GameCube ODE by citrus3000psi/Meneerbeer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:41 am 


User avatar

Joined: 21 May 2013
Posts: 229
nmalinoski wrote:
Link83 wrote:
To make a 'plug and play' ODE for the PS1 would require someone to emulate the laser/optical pickup unit, which no ODE has done so far :(

I'm aware, and I was suggesting that it simulate the pickup unit. The fact that no one has accomplished that yet doesn't mean anything.

And it wouldn't be plug'n'play if it needs to tap into the motherboard and/or disc lid switch, but the installation would be far easier and less destructive compared to the PSIO's.

I seem to recall years ago deunan made a comment on one of the gdemu wordpress posts about the likelyhood of emulating an optical pickup for the Mega-CD, and IIRC they said the chances were very slim as you would have to emulate pits, wobble, focus, seek times, spindle speed, etc (I might be misremembering this, but I think it was likened to the chances of someone emulating the needle/stylus on a record player!)

I think its much more likely that if we do ever see on ODE for the PS1 it will use a custom FFC and require fine pitch soldering to tap into the drive bus signals directly on the motherboard.

However who knows what the future holds? Maybe if there is someone with enough determination...


Last edited by Link83 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New GameCube ODE by citrus3000psi/Meneerbeer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:09 am 



Joined: 08 Mar 2017
Posts: 1092
Regarding a PSX direct ODE, there's some more details here:
https://www.obscuregamers.com/threads/p ... /post-3874

It would require some real effort though.
The CD controller chip (Mechacon) would have to be made "happy" with what it receives from the hacked up DSP.
It may be simple to do, or it may be so hard that it'd be easier to write a software Mechacon instead.

Another problem is that it'd only work with PSX consoles with the necessary bus exposed.
That should be up to and including the SCPH-5000 series, maybe the 7000 as well.

A "true" EFM data producing ODE is harder to do, but once one existed, it could be adapted to all CD based consoles.
Here I think the problem is that afaik no one has ever done it.
Should the data be generated on the fly, or should there be an offline file converter?
How fast does the data have to appear?
A PSX drive does ~2.4Mbps but I think that's already EFM > 8bit converted, so maybe roughly 5Mbps are needed? That's a 5MHz stream.

It would be far easier to install than any other solution (simply plug in the ribbon cable), and barring any EFM bugs, it would be 100% compatible by design.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New GameCube ODE by citrus3000psi/Meneerbeer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:49 pm 



Joined: 21 Aug 2016
Posts: 538
At the end of the day, it sounds (to my unexperienced ear) like an ODE for the PS1 wouldn't really provide much compatibility benefit over the PS-IO given how many things it has to emulate. And honestly, the PS-IO was pretty easy to install IMO, I can't imagine that an ODE would be any easier given the limitations already mentioned.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New GameCube ODE by citrus3000psi/Meneerbeer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:50 pm 



Joined: 19 Jul 2017
Posts: 1541
thebigcheese wrote:
At the end of the day, it sounds (to my unexperienced ear) like an ODE for the PS1 wouldn't really provide much compatibility benefit over the PS-IO given how many things it has to emulate. And honestly, the PS-IO was pretty easy to install IMO, I can't imagine that an ODE would be any easier given the limitations already mentioned.

The way I understand it, the PSIO isn't an ODE in the same way we understand the ODEs for the Dreamcast and Saturn. The GDEMU, for example, pretends to be the entire GD-ROM drive, which is relatively straightforward. The PSIO, on the other hand, has to tap into data buses, remote control some processors, and do XA decoding itself because it can't access everything from the parallel port--it's a far more complex device than ODEs for other consoles; moreso a development/debugging tool, which is what it's marketed as.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 21 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group