GC Loader - New GameCube ODE by citrus3000psi/Meneerbeer

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Gunstar

Re: GC Loader - New GameCube ODE by citrus3000psi/Meneerbeer

Post by Gunstar »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Any of you guys got this thing? I got two of them, and installed one into my Platinum GC. It works really well. Obviously, I don't know if there are any games that have problems. Is there a list, or is this thing "99 percent compatible"?
I am no modder, of any kind, but it was pretty simple to put in. I was just thrown off by how many freaking screws the GC had in it.
I have one but not yet put it in my GC. Not sure if there's anything definitive but some audio distortion and something about Mario party mini-games not loading are issues mentioned on the Github: https://github.com/danielkraak/GC-Loader/issues
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Gunstar wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:Any of you guys got this thing? I got two of them, and installed one into my Platinum GC. It works really well. Obviously, I don't know if there are any games that have problems. Is there a list, or is this thing "99 percent compatible"?
I am no modder, of any kind, but it was pretty simple to put in. I was just thrown off by how many freaking screws the GC had in it.
I have one but not yet put it in my GC. Not sure if there's anything definitive but some audio distortion and something about Mario party mini-games not loading are issues mentioned on the Github: https://github.com/danielkraak/GC-Loader/issues
Yeah, I read thru that. Seems there's an issue with Wave Race. This seems to be firmware 1.0.0, they are talking about. He's up to 1.0.1 now, but it only says "fixed some stability issues", and increased boot time.
I don't think it's many games, that have an issue, from what I can tell.
AceFan84

Post by AceFan84 »

For those of you that have one did you get an email when yours shipped? I am supposed to be getting one here in wave 2 but I haven't heard if it shipped or not. I saw that the official gcloader twitter tweeted out they had all shipped but I haven't heard anything or gotten it yet.
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

@evil_ash_xero - Seems pretty solid. Most of that reporter's issues were due to a bad Flex cable I believe although Dan did manage to reproduce the Wave Race distortion, not sure if it's fixed in 1.0.1
AceFan84 wrote:For those of you that have one did you get an email when yours shipped? I am supposed to be getting one here in wave 2 but I haven't heard if it shipped or not. I saw that the official gcloader twitter tweeted out they had all shipped but I haven't heard anything or gotten it yet.
I got mine from the Euro store so the experience might be different but I got an email when they were ready to take payment, then another to confirm they received payment with a further email, a couple of days later, to let me know it had been shipped and to share the tracking code.
Last edited by Gunstar on Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
AceFan84

Post by AceFan84 »

Gunstar wrote:@evil_ash_xero - Seems pretty solid. Most of that reporter's issues were due to a bad Flex cable I believe although Dan did manage to reproduce the Wave Race distortion, not sure if it's fixed in 1.0.1
AceFan84 wrote:For those of you that have one did you get an email when yours shipped? I am supposed to be getting one here in wave 2 but I haven't heard if it shipped or not. I saw that the official gcloader twitter tweeted out they had all shipped but I haven't heard anything or gotten it yet.
I got mine from the Euro store so the experience might be different but I got an email when they were ready to take payment, then another to confirm they received payment with a further email, a couple of days later, to let me know it has been shipped and to share the tracking code.
Hmm ok thanks. I'm in the US so I'm not sure if that experience is different or not. Normally I'm not so uptight about this stuff but I really want this thing to show up!
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Yeah, I got an e-mail, with a tracking number.
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

evil_ash_xero wrote:
Gunstar wrote:
Yeah, I read thru that. Seems there's an issue with Wave Race. This seems to be firmware 1.0.0, they are talking about. He's up to 1.0.1 now, but it only says "fixed some stability issues", and increased boot time.
I don't think it's many games, that have an issue, from what I can tell.
I'm currently running his plug and play version that I got with the first batch of orders. I played Waverace for a good 3-4 hours last week and didn't notice any anomalies. What type of problems is that game supposed to be having?
AceFan84

Post by AceFan84 »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Yeah, I got an e-mail, with a tracking number.
I contacted them on twitter and they sent me tracking info, not sure why I didn't get an email but all that matters is that it's on the way!
Gunstar

Post by Gunstar »

TooBeaucoup wrote:
I'm currently running his plug and play version that I got with the first batch of orders. I played Waverace for a good 3-4 hours last week and didn't notice any anomalies. What type of problems is that game supposed to be having?
Some sort of audio distortion, somebody mentioned it's still happening today (and a few other games). I guess it's not fixed in 1.0.1 yet
It seems when an audio stream is started, there is a very small chance that the audio is distorted.
TooBeaucoup

Post by TooBeaucoup »

Gunstar wrote:
TooBeaucoup wrote:
Some sort of audio distortion, somebody mentioned it's still happening today (and a few other games). I guess it's not fixed in 1.0.1 yet
It seems when an audio stream is started, there is a very small chance that the audio is distorted.
Very odd. I noticed nothing unusual when I played and I played for a long-ass time through giant tower speakers on my home theater.
AceFan84

Post by AceFan84 »

Has anyone in the US received a gcloader from wave 2 yet? The tracking info on mine hasn't updated in over 3 weeks, it still says it's on the way to the country of destination. I understand shipping is really slow right now with the pandemic and all but I am starting to get slightly concerned.
Joelepain

Post by Joelepain »

I'm in Montreal and I received mine about a week ago.
AceFan84

Post by AceFan84 »

Joelepain wrote:I'm in Montreal and I received mine about a week ago.
Ok thanks, I'm starting to sweat a little over here...
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I saw this on the ODE Facebook group, and got it. It's pretty neat, if you want to fill up that gaping hole, left by taking the optical disc drive out.

https://laserbear.net/shop/ols/products ... r-sd-mount
strygo

Post by strygo »

I had ordered mine as part of the first batch and finally got around to installing it this afternoon. I had picked up the Laser Bear mount and followed along with the following video. His tip about pre-threading the screw holes on the mount is probably the most important takeaway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-1bD_Hud7c&t=301s

Overall, the device is nice, although not without some minor issues.
  • When booting, it starts the GC boot sequence but then skips it about halfway through. It's faster this way, but I'd much prefer to see the whole sequence instead.
  • Lack of save support isn't ideal. This is known and support is supposed to be coming soon. I may pick up an SD2SP2 in the meantime.
  • I did encounter an audio distortion while playing 1080 Avalanche - it started after playing for about 20 minutes but didn't happen again after reboot.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

strygo wrote:When booting, it starts the GC boot sequence but then skips it about halfway through. It's faster this way, but I'd much prefer to see the whole sequence instead.
This isn't a feature of the GC Loader, but rather of Swiss.

You can get the whole sequence when booting games by enabling the boot through IPL option.
strygo

Post by strygo »

Extrems wrote:You can get the whole sequence when booting games by enabling the boot through IPL option.
Cool, thanks for highlighting this Extrems!
AceFan84

Post by AceFan84 »

I finally installed my gcloader today and am very happy with it so far. I do have an issue though and am curious if there's anything I can do about it. The auto detect mode for video resolution in Swiss is choosing 480p by default which my crt doesn't support so the screen upon boot is completely scrambled. I figured out the key presses I need to hit to get into the setting and change it from auto to 480i so I do that and then it works great. It is a pain to have to do this every time I turn on my gamecube though but we can't currently save swiss settings with the gcloader right? Is there anything I can do about this if I can't save swiss settings and they just go to default every boot?
schnuth

Post by schnuth »

I was able to save my Swiss settings to my memory card just fine. The trick is remembering to put your memory card in your cube before turning it on. I always forget and have the same problem as you. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
AceFan84

Post by AceFan84 »

schnuth wrote:I was able to save my Swiss settings to my memory card just fine. The trick is remembering to put your memory card in your cube before turning it on. I always forget and have the same problem as you. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
I don't think I had a memory card in when I was trying to save the settings, thanks for the tip! I guess the only thing people still want from the gcloader is to be able to save settings or even game data to the sd card, don't know if that will ever be possible...?
serge85

Post by serge85 »

AceFan84 wrote:I finally installed my gcloader today and am very happy with it so far. I do have an issue though and am curious if there's anything I can do about it. The auto detect mode for video resolution in Swiss is choosing 480p by default which my crt doesn't support so the screen upon boot is completely scrambled. I figured out the key presses I need to hit to get into the setting and change it from auto to 480i so I do that and then it works great. It is a pain to have to do this every time I turn on my gamecube though but we can't currently save swiss settings with the gcloader right? Is there anything I can do about this if I can't save swiss settings and they just go to default every boot?
Start your gamecube with R button pressed, swiss will boot in 480i.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Has anyone compared Swiss v0.5r870 with SD2SP2 against GCloader yet?

"FMV and loading stutter/slowdown with SD Card Adapters has been almost completely eliminated. That is all."
https://github.com/emukidid/swiss-gc/re ... g/v0.5r870

Pretty interesting to see that a cheap SD adapter is pretty much as good as a GCloader now.
AceFan84

Post by AceFan84 »

I've got another gcloader/swiss question. When I boot up my gamecube with only 1 memory card inserted (the one that has the swiss.ini settings file on it) everything is good. But when I have a 2nd memory card inserted into slot 2 at the same time on system startup swiss reverts back to default settings and doesn't seem to load the ini file from the first memory card. Has anyone experienced this and if so do you know why it's happening? It's only a slight inconvenience to wait to put that 2nd memory card in until after I boot into swiss but still figured I'd ask about it.