Camera for recording CRT image.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Trevor spencer

Camera for recording CRT image.

Post by Trevor spencer »

Hi

Can anyone recommend me a decent camera for recording a CRT image ? I'm looking for something I can buy 2nd hand and at decent price for my youtube videos.

I keep having to record my game play on my phone but the image sucks bad.

Check out my YouTube Channel
YouTube
it290

Re: Camera for recording CRT image.

Post by it290 »

To get a decent image you need a camera or phone (+app) that lets you dial in the shutter speed to match the monitor's sync. This video and its comments have some decent tips.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

Hi

Yes unfortunately my phone will not do that even with an app. So was interested what cameras (model numbers) people might be using.

ill take a look at the link , Thanks :)
YouTube
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Are you sure? You can control the shutter speed on both iOS and Android, though you may need a third-party app on some phones to do so.
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

Hi

I have a Samsung galaxy S5 mini and I've tried s couple of different apps but culd not get it to work.
YouTube
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

Is there a reason you want a camera instead of a capture device?
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

No not really but I'm trying to record from groovymame while playing in my cab . Just can't find a decent solution
YouTube
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

I have an old build of GM too 0.146 I think and the PC is running XP
YouTube
tongshadow

Post by tongshadow »

you'll probably need a very expensive camera, like phonedork's:
https://youtu.be/Ucm7k64llO0?t=1257
it290

Post by it290 »

Any camera that lets you dial in the shutter speed while recording video should let you do this. I think Sony, Panasonic, and Canon have all had consumer or prosumer models with this feature. For Sony the terms 'Clear Scan' and 'ECS' seem to be how they describe the feature. For Canon EOS cameras you can use a firmware addon called Magic Lantern (https://magiclantern.fm/) to do it. Sorry I can't provide more info on specific models and stuff, don't really keep up with cameras these days, but I think it's possible without spending a ton of money.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
it290

Post by it290 »

I will say though that theoretically this should be possible on just about any phone that has a decent camera. There's no mechanical shutter, so shutter speed is just a function of how long the software tells the sensor to sample light for each frame. The requirements are basically that the sensor and lens are sensitive enough (ISO+aperture) to sample the required light in the required time and that the OS's API allows apps to tinker with the electronic shutter speed. I think it's very likely that your phone's camera can do this, it's just a matter of the software working or not. The YT link I provided had some threads that mentioned some super specific apps—have you tried those?
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

Ok cheers, I tried a couple of free versions to see if you could get it to work but had no luck. I'll check out some of the suggested ones in the link.

Thanks
YouTube